Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Devil's Rejects (2005)

Author Topic: The Devil's Rejects (2005)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-24-2005 10:45 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 8
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: False start due to foreign object
RATING: One star (out of four)

NOTE: This movie was docked one half star due to excessive use of classic rock

Jordan Creek Town Center has a man-made lake that is surrounded by a boardwalk, several restaurants with overlooking patios, a motel, and a small amphitheater. Performing tonight at the amphitheater in front of a crowd of, oh, fifty, is two guys performing Ozzy's "Crazy Train" on piano and accordion. Seriously. And these guys warranted setting up a BEER GARDEN.

The projector starts and runs about three seconds before the projectionist aborted. Cause: A black foreign object that looks kind of like a big twisty-tie in the upper right corner of the screen. Say! Didn't this happen last week? The projectionist apparently noticed and stopped the show before it got out of hand. Less than a minute later, the show starts again sans foreign object.

About ten minutes into "The Devil's Rejects", I thought this was going to be really really cool. But then the train wreck known as "the rest of the movie" happened. Pointless, gratuitous violence. Ten good minutes, then a complete waste of time.

|  IP: Logged

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2005 03:58 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "presentation problem" was more a good thing he nipped that in the bud. Would you rather it have been left on for the whole movie? Wait, I take back that question in regards to your opinion of the movie. [Wink]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2005 11:37 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The number of four star reviews this film has received from the local papers up here hypnotizes certain people into believing that "Rejects" is a masterpiece. Gratuitious without care is a better description. It is nice to see a 70's style slasher film, instead of the theoretically scary spectral element J-horror of late; but it's nothing worthy of being displayed in a four-star film museum. Those who have been desensitized will revel in the lack of distracting reality in "Devil's", the squeamish will be too queasy to ask for a refund.

Bravo Woodbury Theatre in Woodbury, MN for this show though... Not one scratch on the print, even and adequate screen lighting and an on-time presentation for this discount-first run feature. I believe this theater is ex-UA, the first Christie-packaged house in the MSP area that hasn't had significant print damage on a second-week release which I've attended. If they weren't using opaque splice tape, I'd commend the booth staff for their diligence in these matters. Those seats were nice too, with plenty of leg room... The four dollar tickets and even cheaper concessions must frazzle the Carmike 20 just up the beltway! [Smile]

Small auditorium, center-surround

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: