Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Wedding Crashers (2005)

Author Topic: Wedding Crashers (2005)
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2005 06:32 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I have the last hour of my life back? Yes, the running time is about 2 hours. It started off pretty good and funny and then something happened. It was like they switched writers and directors mid way through. The rest of it dragged on and on and on and wasn't really funny anymore. It went from comedy to bad drama.

1 1/2 *'s (out of 5)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2005 09:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing fans of this movie need to know is, what's the Greco factor?

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2005 09:36 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, is it really a "boob filled raunch fest" (thanks Drudge, lol) or just slightly more risque than the usual comedies starring these fellows.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2005 10:00 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's one little montage where you get to see a few sets of boobs although the quick cut editing made it difficult to truly enjoy. Had they put the toplessness in the 2nd hour, maybe it could have helped salvage the movie. It was definitely pretty raunchy in some scenes like the extremely graphic handjob given under a table (I'll leave out the characters involved so as not to give away a spoiler).

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2005 10:36 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly wouldn't call that scene "extremely graphic".

I quite enjoyed the film start to finish, I viewed the change in tone as intentional, rather than ineptness. It made sense for what was happening with the main characters... and it's not like it was some sort of "Full Metal Jacket" type of shift or anything.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-15-2005 10:40 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just crap with Vince Vaughn being Vince Vaughn.

quote: SPOILERS
And when Will Ferrell showed up, I thought I might just have to walk out. Too bad I was waiting out Friday night traffic.
Owen Wilson was the only [occasionally] redeeming factor in a crappy movie with a crappy script.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2005 12:09 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobbbbbiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeees

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-16-2005 12:56 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is a train wreck. The comedy is too raunchy for most women. The romance chick flick aspects will turn off most guys who came to see the raunchy comedy.

This is one of those movies where the foul language seems "forced". It was definitely a PG-13 plot. But unfortunately, the film makers felt compelled to force some language and what not into it just to turn it into an R rated movie. Why? [Confused]

I'm not sure who they were trying to target with this.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2005 06:02 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was too long. They just tried to cram too much into it.
The plot was rediculously predictable. It was made on the same formula as almost every movie you see in the summer time.
The first 3 reels entertained me and then the whole thing dragged down.

I found some of the situations amusing and some of the dialog was funny but overall it was just...Okay, let's move on.

The one thing that bothered me more than the montages was the father character (Walken). He just didn't play a good father.
The character was very poorly written, perhaps since they took up so much time with the other characters?

Also, I hate montages.
P.S.: This film would have been just fine without the nudity and foul language.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2005 11:50 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously though, this was VERY funny and actually had a plot. Yeah it was cliched, but it was fun from beginning to end. I agree the nudity wasn't necessary. But I do like boobs [Smile]

I think Rachel McAdams is much hotter as a brunette than a blonde.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-17-2005 10:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall

It seemed like they were targeting both men and women. And possibly relying on word of mouth to get people to go see it. For example women that were dragged to see it by their boyfriend, could have ended up enjoying it due to the fact that it ends up being a nice romantic comedy, that happens to have some R rated humor. Those women will tell other women to go see it because of the romantic comedy side of it, guys will tell their friends to go see it because of the R rated humor/women/Will Ferrell. I use the term R rated instead of raunchy, because raunchy would assume that I was offended by something in the movie, and I wasnt at all. Obviously, I really enjoyed the movie. Seen it 3 times already. [thumbsup]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2005 02:42 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it even if I was disappointed the raunchy movie I went to see was never shown. INstead I got this cute date flick with a few crumbs thrown my way. For a date flick, it was pretty good. I liked it. Too bad they used an obvious body double in the scene where the sis ties up Vaughn.

Was this movie really 2.35:1 or were my eyes deceiving me. Hmm, i wonder if Spielberg found this choice silly. Heh.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 02:46 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they would have cast lower listed actors for this one, they would've had to put "National Lampoon's" in the title. Vince Vaughn has no good character points to embellish and Owen Wilson has no intelligent dialouge. The nude women in the opening montage get just as much respect from the screenwriter and director David Dobkin as do stars Rachel McAdams and Jane Seymour. This film also qualifies as the first in years in which Christopher Walken has no memorable content [Frown]

The film blows its load waaaay to quickly, essentialy before any of the setup begins. For the rest of the time, you get to choose whether you feel worse for the heartless Vaughn & Wilson, the inexplicibly insane gay son character or the daughter getting trampled on by her stereotypically asshole-ish preppy fiance. I probably give the most empathy to Will Ferrell in his cameo. He tries to breathe exuberance into a horribly thin throwaway role which ought to have been one of many desperately needed weird-counterpoints to this otherwise clockwork script.

Vaughn & Wilson do appear to be enjoying the food quite well. Even though I've vomited every time I've consumed crab meat, it seemed a taste-tempting treat, worth much greater than the price of admission for this pile. I'm just so glad everyone got what they wanted in the film, and I got to leave this film knowing everything in movieland went smoothly without any new comedy or plot points to make formula audiences uncomfortable...

St. Anthony Main, #3, Dolby SR

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-22-2005 01:10 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall

Well I think the studio was quite sure of who they were targeting, now with 208 million in domestic and overseas grosses, I think it hit the mark.

Money is a key reason people produce movies. I for one had a great time, very enjoyable, would see it again, and recommend it to people that I believe would enjoy it.

It is not going to be everyones cup of tea, no movie ever is going to be that. That bieng said, I loved it, and my wife didn't think it was too raunchy, and I love chick flicks.

YEAH [evil]

Ciao

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-22-2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this last weekend.

I thought it was okay, not nearly as laugh-out-loud funny as I was expecting, and the scene at the end with Owen Wilson desperately pleading with the girl in the church right in the middle of the wedding was just flat-out dopey. Why not wait until after the wedding to talk to her, fercripesake? She wasn't going anywhere. The fact that the preacher, the parents and everyone else just stood there while this whole speech was going on was just too ridiculous.

Another thing that bugged me is, one of the weddings takes place in a Catholic church but the thing bore absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to a real Catholic wedding. Don't they research this stuff AT ALL? Catholic priests do not say "I now pronounce you man and wife....you may kiss the bride."

I agree the Christopher Walken character was seriously under-developed. They should have taken inspiration from DeNiro in "Meet the Parents" and made him a real badass, he'd have been better.

This movie could have easily been a PG-13 by leaving out the naked boobs and a few of the f-words, but might not have done the business it has with that rating. I mean I liked the boobs, but they were admittedly unnecessary.

My rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: