Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005)

Author Topic: Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-25-2005 03:18 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

"Herbie Rides Again" is a favorite of mine, and has been since I saw it as a child in the back seat of our '61 ivory Bug at the Canyon Drive-In Theatre in Beaverton, Oregon. Oddly enough, I'm not so much a fan of the original.

Herbie's quite a bit more animated in this one than before, and I was a bit unhappy with that to start. But it's ultimately not used to excess (save for what turns out to be the funniest scene in the movie).

Herbie movies are hardly more than the campy fodder Disney used to churn out all the time. Disney's return to camp paid well with the surprise hit "The Pacifier". This resurrection of the Herbie franchise may be another surprise. This one is exactly what it should have been. No more, no less. And the kids in the audience ate up every minute of it, as did most of the parents.

I have no idea who Lindsay Lohan is, but she's CUTE, and she played her part perfectly. Matt Dillon overacts the villain to the point of cartoonish, which again, was perfect for this situation. Suspending disbelief in a Herbie movie is always mandatory, but this one took it to whole new levels. It amazes me that I can go into a movie about a car with a mind of its own and STILL question things like how they could swap a part from a New Beetle 1.8 Turbo into a '63 Type 1, but there I was doing it.

Silly? Yes. Campy? Yes. Fun? Absolutely. This one was a pleasant surprise.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was actually pretty good. Had a lot of funny parts to it. Possible SPOILER************
Hilarious when Herbie was shaking scared before hitting the crusher.*************

Very good family show, the reactions of Herbie were excellent.

The suspension of disbelief can only be taken so far. a VW Bug doesn't even meet the inspection requirements for NASCAR.

Still a good show.

Movie: 3.8/5

Greco Factor: [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] /5

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2005 01:55 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read they CGI'd her rack to appear flatter for a more family appropriate film... another reason to hate CGI! Lol.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: