Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Batman Begins (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Batman Begins
Mark Pierce
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2005 09:00 PM      Profile for Mark Pierce   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Pierce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it, but it's good!

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 01:38 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you hate to say that?
I can't wait for it.

Mark Pierce
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Mark Pierce   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Pierce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Batman's my favorite super hero and I'm such a big fan of the Burton Batman. Not to mention that Keaton was a great Batman AND Bruce Wayne.

I don't like Christian Bale and I thought Memento was HIGHLY overrated and Insomnia was a complete waste of film. The Batmobile is NOT supposed to be an SUV!!!

Having said that, I really enjoyed the film. Bale was a good batman and a passable Wayne (although he was a bit over the top in his playboy performances). There is a GREAT chase scene involving the Batmobile. I thought that they could have used the villians a bit more but I do understand where the director was going with this film in that he wanted it to be more about Batman/Wayne. It was the best DMR transfer that I've seen so far. IMAX got it done well this time.

Overall, I had a good time. Highly recommended and if you can see the IMAX version, (not that I'm biased or anything!) don't waste your time with the little stuff!!!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-14-2005 12:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys do realize this is the first movie in a trilogy, right? True. I can't wait for the next 2, which will be called "Batman Continues" and "Batman Concludes".

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-14-2005 07:46 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree ... it's a great DMR transfer. This one looked a little crisper without the "sharpening filter" artifacts that I noticed a lot in Spiderman 2.

As for the movie itself, it was, as everyone who's seen it seems to think, really good!

The first act was a great psychological drama, and quickly paced. It shaped the Wayne character and gave some strong insight into the Batman origins. I think this will be compared a lot to Anakin's transformation to Vader. Or more accurately, you just may hear people saying "Now THIS is the way to tell the story of a character's early struggles in a prequel designed to fill in back story to a familiar franchise!" It was continuously interesting, and deftly brought in the various aspects of Batman ... taming fears, dealing with justice and revenge, anger, growth, lots of stuff. This movie "showed" me what was making Bruce Wayne tick, rather than what the Star Wars script did by only "telling" me about the seduction to the Dark Side. Effective use of flashbacks, and straightforward approach in the directing.

The movie then smoothly leaps into good Batman action. Chases and whatnot. Good villain setup. Great characters all around. The ultimate "evil villain plan to destroy the world"-type aspect of the plot didn't come off as cheesy as it would have if someone told me about it. In another movie, it wouldn't have been as convincing, I think.

Seeing just screenshots, I thought Katie Holmes looked too much like an airhead. However, it's a pretty strong character. I'm still not sure she completely pulled it off, but she did a better job than I was expecting. And not just at refraining from wearing bras ... something she's apparently good at.

I liked Morgan Freeman's character, and Gary Oldman was good too. Yeah, I think this was a strong cast. Michael Caine was perfect.

As a whole, this is a good story, and well told; regardless of being just another in a long series of superhero adaptations. That aside, it still stands on its own. It didn't have a comic book feel. It was just the story of a man, his fears, his city, and Katie Holmes in some cold air.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 10:38 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been waiting for this movie for over a year...and needless to say when I found out that it would be arriving on Monday, the weekend became that much longer! The film arrived right on time monday morning. I left a note saying call me when it comes in, I want to build it.(To make sure it was perfect [Wink] ) After building it, was a long drawn out day of nothing leading up to the screening.

Like I said, I've been waiting for this film for over a year. I'm a Christian Bale fan, I think hes a solid actor who approach's every role with all his heart. I mean just look at the Machinist. He embodies his roles, and becomes the part. And thats exactly what he did with Bruce Wayne. He wasn't too over the top when being the play-boy Bruce Wayne. You can even see that when hes talking with Rachel he wants to tell her then, that its just a cover up. Just like later on at the party, he doesn't care what people think of him.

I was very skeptical about using Ra's as the main villain, but they made him work. The story arc for the character was very well done. And for anyone who didn't read the spoilers, I think will be surprised to see the outcome. My only complaint is that the Scarecrow, albeit a minor villain in the film. Was really really under used. When the gas was in effect he was very cool, and Creepy.

Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Micheal Cain were all fantastic in there respective roles. I'm so glad there going to be keeping Freeman around for another film. His character was great. Gary Oldman owned Gordon, he was perfect. As well as Micheal Cain, he was fantastic as Alfred.

I've been defending the Tumbler sense they first released it, I think its perfect for the film. This film is based in reality, Tim Burtons Batmobile would not work in this film. Batman needed something tough, dark, and scary. This is far more scary then a long shoe. This Batmobile had a purpose, Burtons had no purpose but to look "cool". The chase was awsome, do you think that Burton's Batmobile could do what the Tumbler did in that chase? I don't think so.

I give this film a GIANT 10 out of 10

I will be seeing Batman Begins tonight at the 12:01 showing...then I will be traveling down to Grand Rapids on Wednesday to see it on the big ol' IMAX [Eek!] [Eek!] !

Oh by the way I just wanted to do a shamless plug right here, today (June 14th) is my 22nd birthday. I didn't want to make a post just about that. I hope you all enjoy this great film!

"I swear to GOD!"

"SWEAR TO ME!!!"

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-14-2005 05:38 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILER:

My only gripe about the film was the slap. Rachel JUST gets done telling Bruce about the difference between justice and revenge, how justice is about harmony and revenge is just to make yourself feel better ... and then not a minute later, she has a gut reaction to his confession and slaps him. Twice!

I can't tell if it was just an oversight in the writing and she's being unwittingly contradictory, or if it was subtley pointing out the nature of how we're all susceptible to revenge. I'm thinking neither. It's a well-written reaction of a woman being a woman who can get away with slapping a guy just 'cause she thinks he deserves it, and not thinking twice about relating it to justice or revenge in any abstract way. Did he wrong her in any way? I don't think I'm being especially embittered here ... for the two characters in the moment, and not necessarily the scope of the whole film, I think the slap was uncalled for.

Typical woman! [Mad] [Razz] [beer]

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 10:24 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought Katie was a wee bit prissy & couldn't act the anger scenes properly.
Short on time, so a solid, nipple erecting 9/10

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-15-2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Uh...nothing out of the ordinary.
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

WARNING: Spoilers are an excellent substitute for butter

This movie pissed me off.

First off, it takes about an hour to get moving. Second, the dialouge. I spent a good portion of the movie refraining from shouting "SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT THE HELL UP!" at the screen. Then when the action gets going, much if it is presented in "Michael Bay horror flick trailer teaser" fashion. Thirdly, and most importanly, HOW much does Ducard have to do for Bruce to realize that he IS Bruce's father?!? He didn't die...He went off into the wild to forge a gang of ninja thugs to take back Gotham, and madness ensued. All that crap about how the whole thing was his father's fault? I was a breath short of screaming "HE IS YOUR FATHER, YOU IDIOT!" about a half dozen times through the movie. This would have been SO much better if they'd taken the script in that direction. Then Rachel at the end...Oooh...I would have killed her right there.

The two stars are basically for the production. The soundtrack even managed to push the limits of the sound system here. There's a couple of explosions where it must distort to hell in the cheap builds.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 02:19 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely loved it. It makes you forget that Batman and Robin even exists. As much as I love Burton's work for Batman, I have to give the trophy to this one.

And oh I loved the sound in this one.

AJG

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 02:54 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I enjoyed the perfomances of the characters, this movie is yet another in the line of a most annoying trend in fighting scenes in Hollywood

Shake the camera like crazy, flash body parts like an arm or leg, blurry movement, "thud", fight is over.

I'm sorry but I absolutely hate that kind of cop-out filming for fight scenes. Take the time to train your actors, make some still wide shots with plenty of room to appreciate the work, and hire professionals to work out the details.

Just look at Hero with Jet Li. THAT'S how you film fight scenes.

I give Batman Begins 3 out of 5 stars.

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was really good, although I had low expectations. I was really pissed at how Ra's Al Ghul was portrayed in the publicity and whatnot, but after seeing the film I was absolutely satisfied. Eight thumbs up.

Katie Holmes is becoming an uggmo, though.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 07:34 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from watching. Awsome flick. Waaaayyyy better than I thought it was going to be when I first heard of it a year or so ago. I for one LOVED the slow build-up from the beginning to the end. I get sick of every action movie having a James Bond beginning with as many explosions as possable. The movie was much better starting slow and building and building to a great ending. Christan did a much better job than I would have ever given him credit for. Keaton may have been a better Bruce Wayne, but Bayle was a more believable Batman and dont even get me started on Clooney and Kilmer.

I havent heard anything about the new franchise but I would hope that instead of actually being a prequel they just pretend that the other movies dont exists. I would love for this cast and director to tell a much better Joker story than the other first Batman movie. In any event, cant wait for the next installment.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-16-2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe a second and third movie are being scripted to contain a nice arc between the three, and actors have signed on. Whether or not Nolan directs, it seems clear that they indeed are kind of ignoring the previous incarnation of the franchise.

It seems Joe was right! Now, it may be debatable as to "Batman Continues" and "Batman Concludes" being the titles. My vote is for "Batman Drudges On" and "Batman Wraps It Up"! [Big Grin]

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2005 12:01 AM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Batman Begins and Sin City, Spidey 2 have changed the face of super hero comic book movies forever. Batman Begins is by far the best Batman movie. It also stands out with a great story. Comic book adapted movies will have to raise to a higher level now to match the films as of latley. I like that the campy cartoonish aspect has been erased. I like the Batman 60's TV show for it's own era and I like that it was not included in this film. The gritty feel of this movie makes you accept the vigilante in a bat suit more than if it had had the comic interjections. This movie makes me look back at the previous Bat movies and lower my view of past films. They just are not as good as they used to seem to me now.
I think that future Batman movies and comic based films that follow this formula will bring in more than the comic crowd. It may be more mainstream accepted.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: