Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Born In To Brothels

Author Topic: Born In To Brothels
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2005 08:44 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was playing in the art theatres around the country for the past year or so. It won the Academy Award for best Documentary this year. We had it at the Palm Theatre as part of Mountainfilm. This in spite of having just played at the Nugget.

Born In To Brothels follows 7 children of prostitutes in the Calcutta red light district. This woman gives them cameras and teaches them how to use them. She then puts on a gallery exhibit to try to raise money and awareness of the problems. They are all headed to "the line" at about the age of 13. She uses her influence to try to get the kids enrolled in to boarding school.

Your eyes tear up about 2-minutes in to the film and stay moist right to the end.

Do you need a tissue?

I was about willing to adopt them all myself.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-02-2005 06:00 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great story. The film was decent, but the production value wasn't as high as it could have been, especially since the film features some fantastic still photography (and I'm not just talking about the fact that it was shot on video). It is definitely worth seeing, however.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: