Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Madagascar (2005)

Author Topic: Madagascar (2005)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Another *spoiler-free* review...

I know there are tons of Shrek/Shrek II fans out there that think those movies are the greatest thing ever, but let's be honest...Dreamworks kinda sucks when it comes to animation. Let's not forget Shark Tale! <excuses himself to vomit temporarily>

So while I never cared for Shrek and only found the cat's part funny in Shrek II, I must say that this Madagascar is in my opinion Dreamwork's best animated movie to date (excluding of course all Antonio Banderas scenes in Shrek II).

It's not great, but it's not too terribly boring. You won't find any magnificent performances here, but again it isn't too over-the-top like that piece of crap Shark Tale was either. All in all, this one should do some pretty solid business.

Also, the prints were freakin' gorgeous!!! Incredibly steady, super sharp and vibrant colors.

3 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-27-2005 08:43 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, ther prints of "Madagascar" were on Kodak VISION Color Print Film 2383, and printed by Technicolor. I suspect the printing negatives were laser recorded.

Jason Greek
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2005 09:38 AM      Profile for Jason Greek   Email Jason Greek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
King Julian of the Lemurs cracks me up... but, if a movie makes me laugh, I'll usually enjoy it no matter how crappy it might be. I liked it, 4/5 stars. the middle part where "alex is a monster" kinda drags, and "what a wonderful world" is WAAAAAY over used in movies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-15-2005 04:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking film. Definitely better than Shrek 2 and the crap-fest Shark Tale, but not as good as Shrek 1. That movie was actually touching in spots; this one is just entertaining.

My favorite line (regarding babies): "They really are cute. From a reasonable distance."

3 out of 5 for me.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to move it move it!

My favorite characters are the lemures. Being as lemure is one of my nicknames [Wink]

Anyway, the middle of the movie drags a little bit but it's really fun and entertaining.
If you look around at the signs in the city you'll find some interesting names.

4/5

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2005 08:30 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Also, the prints were freakin' gorgeous!!! Incredibly steady, super sharp and vibrant colors.
So 1.85 is ok as long as it's not Spielberg directing?

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2005 07:44 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 out of 5. It was well-made though it was sometimes exxagerated (~Spoiler!~ e.g. that old lady fighting with Alex or the ship's horn blowing away all trees).

The finish doesn't make any sense either. The pengiuns said that there wasn't any fuel left - so how did they come back? I would have been interested in that.

But all in all it is a solid, funny, entertaining movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: