Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Monster in Law (2005)

Author Topic: Monster in Law (2005)
Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2005 03:46 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would easily give this movie a 6.

I dont think Jennifer Lopez truely had the acting ability to compete with Jane Fonda, but she does well enough to get you from beginning to end without too much cringing. Wanda Sykes was super good in her supporting role, and went a long way in providing some much needed comedic relief in some scenes. All in all, its short, moves fairly quickly and would make a pretty decent date movie.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-09-2005 04:09 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since when do supposed "comedies" need comic relief? [Razz] If the SUPPORTING CAST is where the laughs are coming from, then something vital is missing. Or did you mean relief FROM the "comedy"? [Wink]

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2005 02:16 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its kinda hard to understand.

While the overall MOOD of the movie is a comedy. The purpose of Wandas character is to ADD comedy in scenes that would otherwise be dramatic.

A good example would be a scene pulled straight from the Rev A Trailer. Which shows Jane Fondas character furiously beating a couch she is sitting in the background, with Wandas character in the foreground holding a bottle of alcohol. When JF is done beating the couch WS says "We're goin need somethin' stronger than this."

Jf beating the couch in and of it self is a dramatic scene, but WS comment adds the "comedic relief".

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the film was entertaining. Yes, its been done before. But throw in J Lo, who can't act for crap, team her up with Jane Fonda (nice facelift) and it works. Boy, check out J Lo's fat ass, egadz!!!! Wanda was a riot, seems like the best lines were given to her character. [Smile]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-13-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok everyone, stop picking on Ms. Lopez. [Smile] I really think shes not that bad of an actress, although I haven't seen this film yet.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2005 01:48 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was pretty good. Much better than 'Wedding Planner' and 'Maid in Manhattan'. Verry funny in parts.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: