Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Kingdom of Heaven

Author Topic: Kingdom of Heaven
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2005 12:32 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boring. If it wasn't for the tons of violence, I would have fallen asleep. 145 minutes too long. You could easily leave out 2 reels and NOBODY could tell a difference. Beautifully photographed, great costumes, but otherwise Boring as hell. [sleep]

|  IP: Logged

Lee Michael Breese
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2005 04:17 PM      Profile for Lee Michael Breese   Email Lee Michael Breese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Don the movie was boring and even the violence in it was brief. I didn't see charater development but also I lost intrest in the first 30 minutes.

Nicole Halper
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2005 07:43 PM      Profile for Nicole Halper   Author's Homepage   Email Nicole Halper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...
I guess the nice way too put it, is that it could have been a bit more complex. You know it wasn't that straight forward in history.
Also could have cut out the last reel...the end dragged on the most. I mean, they lost the city (historical fact..not so much spoiler)...and it should have been over with then.
Yes, Orlando Bloom may be nice to look at(haha) but that didn't save the movie for me.
In short...Not terrible...and not great...rather mediocre.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing great, nothing not-to-great. Just Ridley as usual.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film did not move like Gladiator did, it was decent but there was nothing there like in Gladiator...Orlando Bloom wasn't horrible...but you can really tell he has trouble carrying two hours on his own...even with the strong supporting cast this film just didn't move and have the pace that it should of.

I watched this with two friends and one walked out about an hour and half in and I made the other stay, telling him, "Theres only an hour left, the battles will start!" Which they did, making it a little better but not much. All in all a poor outing by Ridley.

I give it a [thumbsup] [thumbsup] out of [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

This film will have a real hard time recouping its $100 million budget domestically

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2005 05:21 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All scenes with man-to-man combat were laughable. When the fighting starts, the camera starts shaking (get a fearless cinematographer!) and the well-known small-shutter-angle-strobing sets in. I tried to stay awake by remembering better battle scenes like the attacks in THE VIKINGS and THE WAR LORD (minus 199.000 extras, but 200% more fun).

Some nice acting, but there should have been a director on the set.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-14-2005 10:41 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Don: two reels could have been cut. The film would have been far less boring. Problem is, Scott is a Big Director, and no one can (or will) tell him to cut his 'vision.' I'm also tired of films where the main careactor supposably shuns killing, but ends up doing nothing but. Special effects were cool, though.

Daniel Burns
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2005 02:50 AM      Profile for Daniel Burns   Email Daniel Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
I watched this with two friends and one walked out about an hour and half in and I made the other stay, telling him, "Theres only an hour left, the battles will start!" Which they did, making it a little better but not much. All in all a poor outing by Ridley.
Solaris, that is a movie to walk out of, or set on fire for that matter, but kingdom of heaven is gold in comparison. It was tolerable.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2005 08:06 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it was Tolerable but no where near Gladiator...Just didn't have the holding power

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: