Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Kung Fu Hustle (2005)

Author Topic: Kung Fu Hustle (2005)
Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 04-21-2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now we know what Mel Brooks would have done to spoof and tweak the noses of Kung Fu films if he were only 30 years younger. As it is, this is director Steven Chow's 50th or so film (he also stars), but it's the first one to get major US distribution. At ShoWest, Sony Pictures Classics' Michael Barker said they expected this to be their highest grossing picture of all time (surpassing SPC "Crouching Tiger.")

"Kung Fu Hustle" is a wonderful, OTT, funny (and often hilarious), outrageous spoof on all kung fu films ever made. Look at this as the "Blazing Saddles" of martial arts films using Tex Avery and Chuck Jones as consultants. Some of the effects are outstanding, and some are so cheesy that the cheese itself makes you laugh.

It's also got a great sound track. Just listening to the surround tracks are a hoot to see how they're throwing the sound around.

Too often an audience walks out of a theatre with a bland or distracted air, visions of what they have just seen having evaporated. That won't happen with this film. You will see smiling faces coming out of the theatre.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-21-2005 09:40 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Jim's review. Caught just a bit of this from the booth at Showest, but I saw enough of it to see that it is really well done. Hopefully this one will have some legs and not become a sleeper hit.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was quite surprised with the film. I found it very enjoyable. Not only was it funny, but the effects were great as well. A little cheesy at times. I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-24-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 9
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Slightly shaky picture, which would have been less annoying if the movie wasn't subtitled.
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

WARNING: Spoilers...uh, probably...

THE PLOT: A young man must have his chi released by Cheech Marin so that he may fight...Cheech Marin.

Okay, here's my take on the Martial Arts genre as a whole:

• "Kill Bill" - Loved it.
    "Legend of Drunken Master" - Loved it.
    "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" - One of the silliest and most ridiculous things I've ever seen.
This movie didn't make me think of Mel Brooks. It had some brilliant satire in it with the "West Side Story" elements and Chuck Jones-esque stuff, and it had some seriously funny characters (the Landlady in particular), but then as it gets towards the end...and BOY does it take forever to do so...it gets to where I had a hard time deciding if the movie was still supposed to be funny.

Everything did come together in the end, but actually getting there was a mess. Maybe it would make more sense in a second viewing. Probably won't chance it.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was hilarious, I laughed the whole way threw.

Spoilers

When Sing (Chow) tried to blackmail the barber and started to pick a fight with all the residents of Pig Sty Ally, was pure comedy gold. Just executed very well.

Yes the effects were cheesy, but they were supposed to be...then you had the serious effects. I don't think anyone can argue that the scene with the two musicians attempting to assassinate the Masters was not awsome...truly some top notch special effects with the swords and everything else.

For being a sub-titled movie there was not that much to read, I think I might of missed two or three lines cause it went to fast. Thats not bad, there was plenty of time to take in the action while reading, very well done.

The pop culture references were great as well...My favorite was the line from the Untouchables...where he spoke in english, "What are you prepared to do?" then the landlord asked why are you speaking in english. Just very well done, a great action/comedy.

I give it [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] out of 5

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 01:06 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The opening sequence (really the one after the opening) presenting the tenement, the landlady and her husband, and the business with the water pump is a direct parody of the 1973 film HOUSE OF 72 TENANTS, recently restored and reissued by Shaw with a full commentary. For a long commentary on the references in KUNG FU HUSTLE, see the article by Ross Chen at Long Link

[ 04-25-2005, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the movie was great, I would give it 4 out of 5 stars [thumbsup]

Bernard Acero
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2005 12:54 AM      Profile for Bernard Acero   Author's Homepage   Email Bernard Acero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was great!!!

[ 05-07-2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Bernard Acero ]

Jason Greek
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2005 07:50 AM      Profile for Jason Greek   Email Jason Greek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's probably too late to say this, but I had to, and this is my first chance... I LOVED IT!!! SO AWESOME! 5/5! You know a movie has got to be great when it offends so many people that the only 4 tickets we sold for it on opening night were refunded about 5 minutes after the trailers ended!!! we didn't even sell 10 tickets for it on opening weekend!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: