Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Sahara (2005)

Author Topic: Sahara (2005)
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2005 03:49 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the novel by Clive Cussler this movie is kind of like Indiana Jones with a little McGuyver thrown in.
It's a nicely paced, action filled, convenient scenarios for the heros, and good one lines film.
I enjoyed it. Though it was a bit too long.

3/5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-10-2005 07:37 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 12
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Shaky, shaky picture
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

It's been awhile since I've seen an action movie that was just plain fun to watch. Yes, it was silly, but it knew it was silly. In some ways, it thrived on being silly.

I especially liked how the two primary guys interacted. They played liked they'd been doing this stuff for years and were as in tune to each other as Pitt and Clooney's characters in Ocean's Eleven.

Far more entertaining than I expected it to be.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 05:48 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like it at all. They should have gone down with the speed boat. Too long, too corny, and too unbelievable. Anybody that liked National Treasure will enjoy this garbage. I can hardly wait for SAHARA II. [thumbsdown]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2005 11:44 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sequel is completely unneccesary, I'll give you that. But I agree that the film is just plain goofy, and unbelievable.
***Possible spoiler***
The fact that there's too many coincidentals and hey, that's good timing, and goofy one liners takes away from it being a pure action film. It's fanciful, it's got action and explosions, etc.
The entire series from which Sahara comes from is written pretty much the same way.
After all, it's a Dirk Pitt adventure.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-17-2005 05:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Cinemark 17 in Springfield, House #13, SR•D. No major complaints, looked and sounded pretty good (except for when the left-front channel dropped out, which happened several times and lasted for a couple minutes each time). Attendance maybe 125.

I didn't hate it, but it's all been done before, and it's often done better. "National Treasure" is a masterpiece compared to this. 2.625 out of 5. The one Dirk Pitt novel I once tried to read didn't impress me, and neither does this movie.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-18-2005 01:47 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap. That's all. And I liked the book...

Cam Jones
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 08:45 PM      Profile for Cam Jones   Email Cam Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie seems to be gaining steam, it's done better this weekend then opening weekend. We had a couple very full shows of Sahara over the weekend and it's number 2 with box office grosses.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2005 04:58 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the movie was good, I kept thinking of National Tresure when I was watching it

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-16-2005 03:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a crowd pleaser, and I enjoyed it. A little over the top, but not as dopey as some of the action films like "XXX2" have been lately. Steve Zahn was a hoot as always.

3 out of 5 for me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: