Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Fever Pitch (2005)

Author Topic: Fever Pitch (2005)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-02-2005 10:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I can't believe that I'm reviewing a romantic comedy.)

This has some fun scenes in it for Red Sox fans. Unfortunately, the rest is just a typical boring romantic comedy which happens to be set in my home city. I was particularly annoyed by the number of continuity errors (some other errors that come to mind: the Sox played Toronto on opening day in 2004, not Texas; there's an aerial shot of Fenway Park which was supposed to be from July of 2004, but the scoreboard clearly says "September 2004"; also, all the dialogue scenes which were filmed at Fenway show lots of empty seats in the background, which would never have been the case during a real game). Many scenes were lit "wrong," too (it's amazing how fake lighting can look when one is familiar with the actual locations).

I saw this film mostly because I was hoping that I would be in it (if I am, I didn't see myself...it would only be in the background of a couple of scenes, anyway). I was at the game in September when Stephen King threw out the first pitch (which is used in the "opening day" scene in the film. I can't really recommend the film, except maybe to Sox fans or to anyone who wants to learn how not to edit a film.

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2005 03:43 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***Possible spoilers ahead for the uber weary***
Okay, So I had no idea what Fever Pitch was even about. I never watched the preview past the green band and I never watch tv so I had no clue.
Apparantly it's about a pair of people who have these rediculous obsessions learning to live with each others odd fetishes.
Great idea right? WRONG! Drew Barrymore was as good as she could be in a movie with predictable twists and dialog. Within the first 10 minutes the ending of the film is out of the bag.

I agree about the editing, Scott. There's a few parts I stopped for a second and went..."what? well, there's a deleted scene".

The only thing I liked about watching this was that our print #90 was clean, clear, and had great color. I don't remember the stock it was on.

In the end I got more enjoyment from the beautiful picture than the story.

1/5 stars.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-09-2005 04:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
In the end I got more enjoyment from the beautiful picture than the story.
Except for the crappy-looking footage from the ballpark that was shot on video. [puke]

It is what it is, a timekiller. It's not horrible, but it's not great either.

2.5 out of 5

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-09-2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Wallace Theaters Hollywood 14, Topeka, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: It's Grand Opening Weekend. It BETTER all work!
RATING: I walked out maybe halfway in

***WARNING*** This review contains spoilers and shameless gushing over a cheap multiplex

So I pull up to the new development and have to deal with a roundabout...those intersections where you enter a circle and drive around until you get to the direction you want to go, then out. Not a bad idea for neighborhoods...but for the single way in and out of a major shopping development? Even if said development is nothing more than a multiplex, a "Coming Soon" sign for a restaurant, and 40 acres of dirt...

The building's exterior is stunning. It has a California feel to it. One of the more interesting features are two huge "Coming Attractions" poster frames on each side of the entrance that are roughly the height of the building above the auditorium exit doors. That's awesome.

The auditoriums are lined down a single hallway, and you enter at the end. Which means if you're in 14, you walk the entire length of the building...six auditoriums long (1 and 14 are odd positioned)...to the end wall where 14 is. At least they built a second set of bathrooms down there, but they didn't build a satellite concession stand.

There are several design elements similar to that other exhibitor that once had offices at 919 SW Taylor in Portland, and that's fine with me. They've improved on things that average patrons care about (like seats...3-inch padded velour with padded retractable armrests...some of the finest I've seen) and gone cheap where people don't care (like sound, for example, which is still about as good as a well run Cinemark.) Nice big screens with side masking (in the auditoriums I peeked into) thanks to wider auditoriums. Upgrade to THX and double the number of those cool decorator lamps on the walls, and I'd be in heaven.

Okay, the movie...The FARRELLY BROTHERS directed this?!? The dialogue was "bad sitcom" level. It pained me to hear it. Jimmy Fallon acts like he's trying to channel Mike Meyers. Not one of Mike Meyers' characters...Mike Meyers the person. Actually, Mike Meyers might have made this role better. And who in the WORLD has ever seen a dog, least of all one belonging to a single woman, that would see a stranger standing at the door and NOT go berserk? The dog just sits there?!? Please. I was ready to throw up about the time Barrymore did.

So I bailed, basically when I realized I'm probably going to be forced to watch this when the DVD comes out.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 12:12 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love baseball. No. I live for baseball. I grew up in the North Side of Chicago so I live and breath the Chicago Cubs, the only team to not win the world series longer than the Red Sox. I connected with this movie. The ending was a bit depressing because the friggin' Red Sox finally won the World Series and they got to celebrate at the end. WHEN DO I GET TO CELEBRATE?!?!? All in all, baseball fans will like it and I'm a baseball fan. 3/5

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: