Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » SIN CITY (2005) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: SIN CITY (2005)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warning: THIS FILM IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!

Ok now that I got that out of the way, I thought this film rocked. What a great cast of people to get in too one film. I was a little skeptical about all the green screen work and how it would play off, I think it looked damn good. The black and white was another great thing about this film, when Robert used color in subtle areas it really jumps out at you.

For fun while you are screening Sin City, make sure you bring a fifth of your favorite hard stuff with you. Every time some one gets A)Shot in the crotch B)Kicked in the Crotch C)Grabbed in the crotch D)Knifed in the crotch you take a shot...and for fun we threw in the King Arthur references sense they were funny considering they were all said in the same scenes as Clive Owen. By the 5th reel you would be so hammered the rest of the movie wouldn't even matter [thumbsup]

SIN CITY, is destined to be a CULT classic. Its going to have its nay sayers and the people who will defend it to the death. I will be one of the people defending it...this film is probably one of the top 5 best films I've seen in the past two years.

I give it [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] out of 4

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2005 03:05 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a word...wow.

AJG

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-01-2005 04:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I'll have to rent this when it comes out on DVD.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-01-2005 04:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the voice of the public speaks out! (In Joe's case I'll bet it isn't due to him knowing how quickly it will be out on dvd, but probably moreso that he really can get a better show at home. So sad.)

Anyway, it is definitely different, very much bizarre, has a great look that actually DOES work with it being shot on video and it has damn, damn, damn good sound! The only thing really wrong with it is that it is FLAT! (booo, hissss, you suck!!!)

Reels 2 and 3 are definitely the most entertaining part of the show. Thank god Rodriguez pulled his head out of his ass after making that stupid "Mexico" movie and those fucking "Spy Kids" movies.

4 out of 5 stars

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-01-2005 06:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it really shot on MiniDV? Or HD? If MiniDV I'm sure the DVD will be transferred from the film, which was made from the MiniDV instead of MiniDV straight to DVD. Studios are morons, after all.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-01-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film was shot with brand new Sony HFC-950 cameras. Which is the same camera Lucas used for "Star Wars: Episode III".

I ran all the New York critics screenings using a D-5 and it looked incredible on the screen.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2005 12:58 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 out of 5.

I have not read the graphic novels, but my only wish was that the separate story lines more directly connected. Otherwise, loved the photography and art. For once I actually felt the narration added something.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit too long..all of the stories, especially the second, needed some trimming. I got bored about 70-minutes in.

Brad is right about reels 2 and 3. That was fun.

I would like to have seen a few more splashes of color.

Best part of the film: Carla Gugino...ALL of her

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-02-2005 11:38 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Cinemas Kansas City 18
AUDITORIUM: 6
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital in a former THX-certified auditorium
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Image and masking were misaligned by several inches...maybe a foot...to the left. (The image played on the left side masking while about an equal amount of screen on the right side was blank)
RATING: 3 Stars (out of 4)

My thinking was I could see this in the DLP auditorium at AMC Studio 30 in Olathe. No dice. The conversation with the guy at "Guest Services" went something like this..."D-L-P...Digital projection. Oh...You're 'not using those right now'? Okay. By the way, how much is your matinee admission? No, I said 'Matinee' admission. Are you serious? Okay, thank you."

(Okay, so I made up the admission conversation, but if I'd thought of it at the time, I WOULD have asked just to be a smart aleck about it.)

I headed north to Kansas City 18, which is now officially charging double what they were when they opened for a matinee ticket...which is still a buck cheaper than Studio 30.

Advertised showtime: 4:20pm. I arrive just in time to see the pre-show video wrap up. Then a static Regal Entertainment Group logo image thay says "Your feature will begin momentarily" displays until the film starts. At 4:25pm, 'momentarily' hasn't happened. Some girl in the "crowd" (fewer than a dozen) exclaims "This is the longest 'moment' of my life!" Then a cell phone beeps and somebody else mimicks the "Silence your cell phone" announcement made at the end of the pre-show, to much laughter. Then some guy decided to complain. "No, Scott! Don't go! As soon as you do, it'll start and you'll miss the best part!" "Yeah, just hang out, dude." Scott isn't having any of this and is halfway down the stairs when, at 4:28pm. the trailers finally begin. "See? We told you!"

I agree with Brad...The sound mix was outstanding. I found myself forgetting this was largely animation at all (or even largely in black-and-white) and just getting into it. Ultimately, I did find it to be about a half hour too long, though. I don't know that it bored me so much as it drained me. It was like listening to too much death metal at one time...You just start to get a headache.

But no complaints about style here. Very very cool. Sure to have a cult following.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-03-2005 03:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Image and masking were misaligned by several inches...maybe a foot...to the left. (The image played on the left side masking while about an equal amount of screen on the right side was blank)
Sounds more like projector misalignment to me. Someone probably bumped into it when they were moving prints or wrestling.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this film was Excellent, I love how they kept the comic book feel to it [thumbsup]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-03-2005 08:00 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3:05PM today at Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, house #4. No noteworthy presentation problems -- looked & sounded great. Perfectly framed and image centered on the masking too. [thumbsup] Attendance maybe 125.

This is pure eye and ear candy and succeeds on that level, but only on that level. Unfortunately eye and ear candy alone doesn't necessarily make for a great *movie*.

The opening and Act 1 works well, really grabs the viewer and holds on. But then Act 2 drags on far too long. It was putting me to sleep. The only thing that saves that middle section is the women. I was starting to look at my watch and yawn because it seemed like that was never going to end. If not for Bruce Willis' very timely return for Act 3 I might have left early.

This looked fantastic on the screen. I'd love to see it in DLP for comparison. The sound was *very* loud, which is a good thing in my opinion, but it sounded kind of harsh at the high end. That's not usually the case in this particular house.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-03-2005 11:02 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Sounds more like projector misalignment to me. Someone probably bumped into it when they were moving prints or wrestling.
That makes perfect sense here. The masking looked like it was correct, the picture was just projecting sligtly to the left. But I wouldn't know how possible it would be to bump a projector out of alignment...how bolted down and fixed-positioned everything in the booth is.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2005 11:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not bolted down, but it is heavy enough to take a good KNOCK to move it. Odds are the aperture got knocked just a little bit *or* the turret stop settings have drifted. Since it did not affect top or bottom and only the sides, this screams aperture on most every projector (except Christies).

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 12:58 AM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing really wrong with it is that it is FLAT! (booo, hissss, you suck!!!)
Yes, That was horrible. When I carried the film cans in I was thinking well we will have to change over to scope for this one. A movie as visually impressive as this should have been in Scope.
The B/W with occasional splashes of color was Great. I loved the way only things that were Sexy,Emotional,tragic,or terrifying had color.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: