Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » THE RING TWO

Author Topic: THE RING TWO
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2005 03:07 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boring times two. Same old rehashed crap as in the original. Scarier than the first, nope. Longer than the first, yup. I sat in an empty auditorium at midnight to watch this. I didn't jump, not even once. The old theatre was spookier than the film. The little boy in the movie isn't as creepy as Dakota Fanning in Hide And Seek. Now, that's a kid that gave me the willies. This kid doesn't even make me budge out of my seat. Oh yeah, lets see more images inside the well, static on the tv, B&W images and scenes from the original, and make a sequel. I'm sure that anyone under the age of 16 will love this mess. I can see all the little 12 year old girls screaming on opening night. Boy, I can hardly wait. [sleep] [thumbsdown]

[ 03-18-2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Don Anderson ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-19-2005 07:32 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me, or did the first one have a much more aggressive sound mix than this one? I have this one cranked up to "7" and playing in DTS. Usually if I want a movie to be loud, I have to play it at 5.5 or at most 6.

This one wasn't as creepy as the first I don't think, although there were a couple cool scenes. I agree that the boy definitely didn't go to the Dakota Fanning School Of Child Acting. She had more energy and passion in the War of the Worlds trailer than he did in the entire movie.

It's OK, but not great.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2005 09:13 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the first one, but I thought this movie was total crap and totally derivative. The TV-set hokum was stolen from Poltergeist, which was much more clever because it made a joke out of the whole thing. The creature climbing out of the well was animated exactly like Gollum. The ghost inhabiting the kid’s body was stolen from a zillion other films. And what is with this writer’s obsession with water? He has another movie coming out called Dark Water, which seems to be about a large NYC apartment building with an empty floor (that’s completely unbelievable right there!!) that is constantly flooded and has bleeding walls or some other ridiculousness. Did this writer grow up in a house with a bad plumbing problem or does he not know how to swim?

And the plot was incoherent. What does copying a video that kills people if they watch it have to do with a ghost of a child who wants to live and wants a “mommy”?

The only scene I liked was the one with Cissy Spacek and I only liked that because she looked exactly like Michael Jackson is going to look in about ten years, assuming no additional plastic surgery.

And there was only one line of decent dialog in the film. I won’t spoil it here for those who have to watch the movie.

Nicole Halper
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Nicole Halper   Author's Homepage   Email Nicole Halper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now was it just me- or were the CG Deer not hysterical!? The whole theatre was in tears laughing....I think that saved the movie right there.

I have to say the first was one of my all-time favorite scary movies. I even took my day off for my 18th B-day to see the 2nd...and was very disappointed. It might have just been the theatre of people who screamed before anything happened...but it was missing quite a bit.

In the first one they had those flash-backs of the video when Rachel solved them......this one did not utilize that. It would have been a good technique to use again.

I can only hope that Ring 0 will make up for it...

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2005 03:49 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watchable, but not worth making a trip to the theater to watch it. Movie has no logic. The first one was easily a better movie. It doesn't help that we are used to seeing a lot of Japanese remakes. So the creepiness of the way Samara moves(especially the scene in the well) becomes more comic than horror.

Nicole Halper
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2005 07:22 AM      Profile for Nicole Halper   Author's Homepage   Email Nicole Halper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam
So the creepiness of the way Samara moves(especially the scene in the well) becomes more comic than horror.

Yes, a lot like the horror films from the 70s. You'd think they would be able to do something better now...rather than that strobe-like movement.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 03-21-2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kept waiting for something funny to happen, but then realized I wasnt watching Scary Movie, so I fell asleep.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the movie sucked, it was too over hyped. They ruined the Ring series. The first one was scary but this one tried to hard.

quote: Martin Brooks
The only scene I liked was the one with Cissy Spacek and I only liked that because she looked exactly like Michael Jackson is going to look in about ten years, assuming no additional plastic surgery.
I thought this too

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: