Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hostage

Author Topic: Hostage
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2005 12:03 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing more then a copy cat Bruce Willis vehicle...I'm a Willis fan, but this film just had nothing...it was bland and slow in a lot of parts. The only stand out actor in the film was the main "villain", Mars who was played to perfection by Ben Foster. This kid literally was creepy as hell...really made you think what was going on in his head.

This is one of those that would be better off seen on the tv screen than the movie screen. If you want to see a good Bruce Willis film then your better of waiting for Sin City on April 1st. Which by the way, the new trailer (attached) looks awsome [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2005 03:19 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I actually enjoyed Hostage. Not once did I look at my watch.I think that any Die Hard fan will enjoy the film. The film was entertaining, had lots of violence (Yeah), twists n turns, and had one helluva house with gadgets! Gee whiz, I'm surprised no one has compared it to Panic Room. Ben Foster plays one messed up intruder, I found his character more entertaining than Willis. The "Mars" character gave me the creeps. Our ETS delivery guy mentioned that only 25 prints are being shown in the state of WI. , I'm glad to have it showing in town. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] from me! Yup, the Sin City trailer was very impressive, but heck, its just another movie with tons of CGI in it, I just hope it doesn't bomb like Sky Captain. MindHunters looked like crap.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every trailer that came with my print of hostage, with the exception of Sin City, looks stupid.

Now, about the movie.
I was entertained. Yes it was a little long and I personally feel that they didn't try hard enough.
They made it for a stupid audience as well, such as certain scenes written the way they are to reenforce certain ideas.
I wont give them away because they're vital to the plot, but I feel the movie was dumbed down too much.
Overall, I liked it for what it was, a nice, spring time action flick.
Though the sound mix was a little crappy.
I HATE, absolutely HATE when you can tell the ADR from original dialog.
And for some reason it just didn't sound like it was his wife speaking in the opening of the movie. Her voice didn't really match to me or something.

As for the character Marshal (Mars)...He was great. Great actor, very freaky. I'm glad they played him out the way they did.
He's well written. They kept a little class when they wrote his part, most of the time they like to drag these psycho type characters so far out to make them scarry.
Murder, torture, rape, etc. This guy was just a bit crazy, well done.

Though, isn't most of the crew (and parts of the cast) also from Whole 9 Yards? Also a Bruce/David Willis film?

[ Edited for spelling errors ]

[ 05-07-2005, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Dominic Espinosa ]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-11-2005 03:41 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
They made it for a stupid audience as well, such as certain scenes written the way they are to reenforce certain ideas.

Sooooo... what exactly are you saying? That movies made with simple stories and plots with the intention of playing to the masses and actually making money is a stupid move?

Or is it that you have some strange agenda against stoopid people?

It's these stupid people that keep us all employed!!

Really though just screwing with ya... [Eek!]

ciao

Jason Gazaille
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2005 11:18 AM      Profile for Jason Gazaille   Email Jason Gazaille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was entertaining. I felt parts of it are a little unbelivable. Bruce Willis, and Ben Foster were both great. Lots of action and violence. Other than finding some parts a little hard to belive, I really liked this one. 4/5

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2005 10:08 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Crap

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree wholeheartedly with Don. This movie is awesome. Definately a DVD buy for me. I was hoping that they'd make it out alive.

4/5

Oh, and BTW.
The girl was really hot. [Big Grin]

[ 03-14-2005, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Richard Greco ]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2005 11:09 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really dumbass movie, but watchable in a direct to video Jean Claude Van Demme kind of way. Not surprising, considered it was dumped in March. I can't believe miramax bankrolled this. After all that bullshit, we don't even know exactly what the hell all this fuss was about. Many plot loopholes including how does Willis go from a full head of hair to shiny pate which is clearly bald(maybe a fake 5 o clock shadow on the top would have helped) and not merely buzzed off in one year. heh.

Sad thing is I found this actually more entertaining than some big bang summer action movies in recent years. It sure beats Bad Boys 2 to me.

SPOILERS:
Were those really federal agents. The final scene was executed so sloppily and abruptly, i wasn't sure if Pollack was really the bad guy or was just acting like he wanted Willis killed. That daughter character was one annoying twit. Which daughter , you say ? The one played the real life Willis daughter? Sure you can call her one too. Or the one played by the one with the rack that is sure to attract Greco's attention. Yeah, she too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: