Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Cursed (2005)

Author Topic: Cursed (2005)
Eric Webb
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Eric Webb   Email Eric Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Cursed" was in no way a movie to walk out on, unlike the dreadful "Alone in the Dark". The acting wasn't terrible, although there were a few people who could have used some help.
The best bit of acting came from the young man, whose name escapes me at the moment, that played Christina Ricci's young brother. He added the comic element to the film that kept it from sinking. The special effects should've been more realistic...there were too many moment when all I could think of was "That looks soooo computer generated", especially the parking garage scene when the werewolf is jumping from car roof to car roof, chasing Mya to an awaiting open elevator. The film also had the feeling of being put together too quickly and it wasn't as well thought out as it should have been. I believe that Kevin Williamson, the scribe of "Scream" and the popular "Dawson's Creek", is just trying to figure out a way to keep doing who done it murder mysteries with hip youngs teens and scrambling to figure out a way to keep the killer's identiy a secret. In "Scream", the killer's face hidden by a ghost mask. In "Cursed", the killer's face is hidden by computer graphics and an animatronic werewolf head. Perhaps it would just be easier if films featuring werewolves simply weren't made anymore...especially if they cannot be made to the superb standards of "An American Werewolf in London". It's amazing that in the 80s when that film was shot, the werewolf was more believable than a movie made in 2005 with the computer technology available. Also, it might be time for Kevin Williamson to grow up and consider grown-up thrillers. "Scream" should have been his one and only foray into teen angst and boyfriends who mutilate.....Billy Lumis was enough, we don't need another. The one thing that really kept this movie remotely afloat were the comic moments that were few and far between. I just hope that Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson don't decide to get together to make ANOTHER film just because they know that due to the success of all three "Scream" films, they can draw a crowd at the theatre.
For what i saw ill give it 3 out of 5 stars.

One last thing...something else that hurt this film was the PG-13 rating. I noticed that the "Scream" films were much better due to the fact that there were no restrictions on what could be said and what was shown on screen hence the R rating that they received. Of course, "Cursed" was given a PG-13 to allow a wider audience to view it, hence more box office profits

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: