Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Constantine

Author Topic: Constantine
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2005 12:07 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...wasn't really looking for much with this film other then to be entertained for my two hours worth of time. It was what I asked for...entertained, it did not seem like two hours and was actually good. This film however did cement one thing and that is...Keanu Reeves is a flat actor, he dosn't change from one character to another. John Constantine was no diffrent then Neo, same speech same everthing...but once again this persona fit the character.

The Special effects were good but not great...they got the job done. The story's been done before but this is once again a slight twist to it...

All in all I'm going to have to give it 3 out of 5....Not the best film but probably the best one so far this year.

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 02:11 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I liked it too! Keanu Reeves is the same in any of his films. But, it was an interesting 2 hours. Kinda religious, kinda weird, but nicely done. This film will be another vehicle for Keanu, as I see a definite sequel. I think that you can bank on repeat customers for this one, its the kind of film you will want to see a few times. Not for Keanu Reeves acting skills (or lack of), but all the little facts that one can't absorb in one viewing. I'm sure that this film will gross well.

House of Wax is the attached trailer. one question....wasn't the remake of HOW originally being shot in 3d again?? I recall reading about it, and remember BoxOffice magazine always listing it as House of Wax 3d. What gives???? [Confused] [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-18-2005 05:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair. Not great, not bad. A semi-decent way to kill 2 hours. Most of it was a little slow though. Had this been trimmed to 90 minutes, it would've been a much better movie.

And yeah, Keanu Reeves can only play one character...but again I must agree this role did fit him nicely.

3 out of 5 stars

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-20-2005 05:54 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark Movies 12, Ames, IA
AUDITORIUM: 8
PRESENTATION: Mystery Meat Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Everything worked, yet sounded crappy (which is normal in Auditorium 8)
RATING: 2 1/2 stars

**WARNING** Review contains detailed plot information that may be considered spoilers, however sarcastic it may be

Girl at ticket window appears to be lip-synching "Hello" because her microphone isn't on. I figure I can:

A) Tell her her microphone isn't on
B) Go back to Taco Time and eat more tacos, or
C) Pretend I know what she's saying and proceed with the transaction.

I go with 'C' and ask for two tickets to "Constantine". She lip-synchs "Nine fifty", I hand her a twenty, she hands me my change and lip-synchs "Enjoy the show", or "Corn Pon Poe", or something.

Catholic movies are always depressing, and this one does not disappoint. Constantine is going to Hell (where if you are Catholic, you are apparently constantly being pulled apart and stuff), but has decided that Hell blows, so he's sending "half-breed demons" to Hell in hopes God will take him in. He's an overglorified Ghostbuster.

But God, who Constantine describes as "just another kid with an ant farm", thinks he sucks because he's doing it for selfish reasons. Will Constantine find an unselfish reason that redeems him? And is Hell really all that much worse than the life he's living now? I won't answer the questions, other than to say that I understood what was going on at the beginning of the movie, and the end of the movie, but have no idea what was going on in between. Nonetheless, we got a generous number of scenes with Rachel Weisz soaking wet in a white shirt and black bra, plus Wife #1 got popcorn and for some reason it was REALLY REALLY good, so I bumped my rating up a half star.

Wife #1 thought it was awesome. Just awesome.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-20-2005 07:36 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this film very much, I saw it at my ex husbands theater for a midnight showing with my brother and a bunch of teenage employees. The three of us that were older enjoyed the film but the kids all thought it was the dumbest thing they've ever seen.

It kept my attention but was slow at times. And everyone is commenting on Keanu Reeves being a one charater actor, while I do agree with that, what about Rachel Weisz? In my opinion she was horrible in this film. She seems to only do good in films where she doesn't have to play such a serious part...or is that just my opinion? Oh well... Somehow it all pulled together and I liked it.

3 out of 5 stars from me.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2005 10:01 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the acting...

Reeves is a better than average action type actor- rarely having any more real acting ability beyond that. Besides The Matrix series his best effort was about being an FBI undercover agent in a movie of which I can't seem to recall the title.

As for Weisz; she has much more tallent than could have ever been used in this film. Shes a truely well rounded and well tallented actress. I hope shes able to get some better roles sometime in the near future.

As for the movie overall: 6 out of 10.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-21-2005 02:18 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Cross
Besides The Matrix series his best effort was about being an FBI undercover agent in a movie of which I can't seem to recall the title.
Point Break

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2005 03:51 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's crap.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-21-2005 08:35 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Point Break was pretty good.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-06-2005 01:10 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found "Constantine" to be a fair, but not great movie. Perhaps two and a half stars on a four scale. The story seemed to work in fits and starts, not quite getting its legs under it.

There were plenty of intriguing ideas, such as the bar operated by the character, Midnight (Djimon Hounsou) where "halfbreed" angels and demons can unwind in a neutral place. Then there's the opening where some Mexican guy stumbles upon the spear of destiny, or whatever that thing is called. But what the hell does the screenplay do with all that stuff. The whole thing is kind of a jumble. Sometimes it's entertaining, then sometimes it's illogical or even boring.

Maybe Keanu Reeves' style of acting works in that role. Still, I think he was a bit miscast. Really the role needed more of a wiseass with some piss and vinegar. I didn't even believe Keanu's smoking. You could tell he didn't inhale. I've known smokers who really like smoking. You can tell when they draw that nicotine deep into the bowels of their lungs to squeeze out every ounce of pleasure from the drug.

The supporting actors were more interesting to watch. Tilda Swinton stole her various scenes as the angel Gabriel. Pruitt Taylor Vince was fairly creepy (not quite as creepy as he was in "Identity"). Even Bush frontman, Gavin Rossdale seemed to have more life in him as Balthazar.

The visuals in the movie were pretty cool. And there was some decent surround sound stuff too. But I don't think this is a show that's going to wind up in my DVD collection.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: