Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hotel Rwanda

Author Topic: Hotel Rwanda
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 02:06 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really good movie where the story pretty much writes itself. All the more puzzling why this movie was snubbed for best pic while it got a screenplay nod despite the average writing.

Cheadle was really good. He does not overact. Highlight of the movie being the incredible harsh assessment by Nolte's character of how the west views Africans.

Sophie, who played the hooker in Dirty Pretty Things, does a decent job as the wife.

Makes you mad at how the entire world ignored the genocide in Rwanda. A must see.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-05-2005 11:44 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7:10PM last night, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #4. Marginally OK presentation - too much noticeable dirt, esp near the reel splices (throughout), and the splices looked nasty going through. The lights were cued up too early at the end, while the "epilog" text screens were on but before the credits began. [Mad] Overall this seemed rather hurriedly and/or sloppily assembled. One reel was loaded with crap code. Attendance around 50.

An impressive and important piece of filmmaking. It's really depressing to know that this went on and the world looked the other way. Don Cheadle, who I normally don't especially care for, did a great job in this and earned his Best Actor nomination. Nick Nolte does a good job too. I'm kind of surprised this escaped an R rating, give the level of brutality depicted.

3 stars out of 4 from me.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-06-2006 11:16 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 547 days since the last post.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2006 11:16 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched this, and thought Don Cheadle had a great performance, however the movie itself had a bad HBO movie of the week feel to it. I also thought it was shot on hi def but saw on imdb that it was super 35. I didn't think the movie was brutual at all, at least compared to what Spielberg got away with in Schindlers List, for comparison purposes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: