Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Racing Stripes

Author Topic: Racing Stripes
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 12:19 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad will blow an artery...but I genuinely liked this film.

Full of the standard cliches, as would have been expected. Also, totally unrealistic, as I expected, but something about it just worked.

I guess I took the time to remove myself from my preconceieved thoughts and allowed myself to enjoy the film. I think that, while this won't do well in my area, it is a good family film. It does have good points about it as well. FOr example, hard work and dedication pays off, it doesn't matter what others think about you, etc... Kids see this stuff and it sticks with them, whereas with adults, well, we're already to involved in the latest, greatest high budget remake that's ready to grace the screen, to enjoy a film like this.

All in all, I give it a 4/5 for what it is. [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2005 06:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie sucked ass. There Jason, you happy now? Ok now that I have given Jason the giggles with my fake review, now it's time for the real review.

Drumroll please...

This movie sucked ass. Really, it did. Why Jason thinks it's some great kid's movie I have no idea. I certainly wouldn't torture my kids with this thing. Now I'm not a kid's movie hater. Ther are LOTS of great kid's movies like anything from Pixar, most every effort of Disney's, The Sandlot, etc. Even if I wanted to show a movie about talking animals, we have a good one known as Babe. But this thing? [bs]

First off its sound mix, while nicely done, is way overpowering in the opening 2 minutes and in some of the racing scenes for kiddies and their overprotective mothers to not have a cow about.

Then we have all of that really bad dialogue. Clearly Quentin Tarantino needed to do a rewrite on the script, because the dialogue was lame.

Why were the animals talking to each other? No wait, more importantly, why were the animals blatantly talking to each other in front of humans? And why are all the humans too out to lunch to notice the friggin' animals were talking???

Of course let's not forget about how pathetically predictable the ENTIRE story was. (This was a dead giveaway the first time that donkey zebra striped thing slipped in his first race.) I've got a spoiler for you...the striped thing wins in the big climactic race!!! Yeah, uh huh, zzzzzzzzzzzz, like we didn't see that coming. Do I even need to tell you how the slow motion kicked in at the end and just how AMAZINGLY CLOSE the race was? No, I don't think I have to.

And what makes a great kid's movie great? Why the sexual innuendos of course, and this one's got plenty of 'em! Still, even the sexual innuendos couldn't save this turd of a movie. I will however raise it's review rating based upon the sound mix being pretty good.

1.5 out of 5 stars

They should've titled this movie Skid Marks.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 10:19 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of Jason's comments, a very good family film that even teaches a lesson. I caught EVERY cliche and there were a LOT. My little brother liked it alot and especially laughed at the two flies, Buzz & Scuzz.

Hayden Penittere(sp?) will definately be a hottie in 3 years [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Mike Amici
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2005 04:33 PM      Profile for Mike Amici   Email Mike Amici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to pick up the entire plot of the movie when i built it up! [thumbsdown] [sleep] [bs] [puke] [scream]

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2005 01:25 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with Jason and Richards remarks here, I actually went in there (a empty theater) to make fun of how crappy the movie was, and I actually liked it.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-12-2005 02:41 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted to say I liked it just to get on Jason's "good side" and piss off Brad... but:
It stinks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: