Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Meet the Fockers (2004) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Meet the Fockers (2004)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-26-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jay Roach continues to see how much R-rated fare he can cram into a PG-13 movie here.

The story is predictable, mostly, but a few of the laughs are solid. Streisand is kinda creepy. Hoffman is funny. DeNiro is much less funny than in "Meet the Parents." Stiller is funny but overwhelmed by the big names. The little baby is annoying. Babies and little kids using profanities in movies is not funny, and repeating the same thing a dozen times is even less funny.

The ending, where they usually tack on the outtakes (and where the biggest laughs can often be found), this time has "footage" from a hidden camera in the baby's crib. It is the biggest disappointment in the whole movie.

My favorite bit was the Fockers' answering machine message.

2 out of 5 stars. One star added for the fact it's doing dynamite business (that improves my opinion of any movie).

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The entire baby routine was grossly overplayed, and was much more effective in "Three Men and a Baby"...if anyone remembers that scene.

And yes, I also think that some of the baby scenes were inapproperiate...especially the foul language...but I would safely assume and hope that it was actually dubbed in?

Plot, regarding is similar to "The Birdcage"

It did have some laughs, and the actors were suited to their parts...

Definately an "R" rating..."PG-13" is definately inapproperiate....probably influenced by the legacy of that MPAA idiot that just retired...

K.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-26-2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I-N-A-P-P-R-O-P-R-I-A-T-E.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-26-2004 11:12 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and
D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y

[Big Grin]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 11:19 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FOCK THAT!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2004 11:55 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fockers.. the lot of you!

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was pretty funny. There are a few parts that are really inappropriate, but nothing I see deserved an R rating. I mean, the breast was a rubber one, a FAKE!!! How anyone could get offended by that is beyond me.

I now have that song in my head "Grandpa Jack is full of PPPFT" That was pretty funny. Some of the baby's scenes I actually laughed out loud with.

It was an okay movie, not a DVD purchase for me though

2.5/5

Nicole Halper
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 01:07 AM      Profile for Nicole Halper   Author's Homepage   Email Nicole Halper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well- I liked it, and I'm not ashamed to say so. It's probably only because it's just about the only family situation more insane than mine.

I actually thought it was one of the better funny movies of the year (I just rented Anchorman...and I think my IQ dropped to a 48- it was sooo bad)
You all don't seem to think so, but hey- that's fine with me.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-02-2005 02:12 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Nicole Halper
Well- I liked it, and I'm not ashamed to say so. It's probably only because it's just about the only family situation more insane than mine.
No fake family can ever trump the insanity that is my family. I should make a movie on it.

It would take about ten pages just to write up the basics, and still no one could ever possibly believe its real...

take for instance one of my sisters, three kids, the second by the father of the father of the first, and the third by her landlord who let her stay rent free for sex, and then he adopted the baby from her to boot. Now she is dating the YOUNGER brother of the father of the first.

And thats just for starters... fock the fockers.. they have NOTHING on my family

ciao baby

dave

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 03:38 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shit dave! You SHOULD make a movie, and tour the big talk shows(springer, oprah, dr. phil) to promote it. They'd probably all bring you back for a few follow ups [Wink]

I saw the original one time when it came out and I enjoyed it. I enjoyed this because it was a lot like seeing the original again, nothing more/less.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-02-2005 05:33 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
I mean, the breast was a rubber one, a FAKE!!! How anyone could get offended by that is beyond me.
I guess that's because a lot of the people who got offended by the fake tit didn't have the substantial tit-viewing experience that you have from being a regular at "Mons Venus".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the fake tit was just stupid, not offensive. The baby saying "asshole" over and over was the offensive part.

My new favorite line was "You were riding him like Seabiscuit, mom."

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-06-2005 08:18 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find either offensive, but the fake tit thing doesn't make sense with De Niro's character. He is "ferberizing" the kid, i.e. toughening it by denying him physical contact, sweets, TV, baby talk and treating him like an adult, but he is worried about him getting traumatized when he has to drink milk from the bottle? That doesn't work. His character would rather make the baby do 10 pushups before giving him his milk.
Apart from that, I was positively surprised. I had expected this to suck, like most sequels. But it was actually quite funny and the characters were developed further from the first movie. I particularly liked Stiller's truth serum speech.
The first movie didn't have outtakes either, but footage from a hidden camera that Stiller is not aware of (he thinks he is talking to De Niro's portrait on the wall). So this ending makes a lot of sense echoing the first movie.

Mike Amici
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 01:58 PM      Profile for Mike Amici   Email Mike Amici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they have taken a 2 word joke (gaylord focker) and turned it into not one, but two movies, i watched the the entire thing through the porthole with the sound monitor off, and i could still grok what was going on! [thumbsdown] this movie is completely inane, and therefore it will be here here for months on end!

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2005 04:02 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, indeed. Billion$ upon Trillion$ have been made by never overestimating the 'taste' of the average person. Not just in the moviez, of course. HSC, Bose Radios/Speakers, Popiel products, etc. etc. Many (nay, most) elections have been won on the same principle. [Big Grin] [evil]

Ron Yost .. Barnum was soooo right.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: