Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Aviator (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Aviator
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2004 12:42 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best part of this movie was the Sin City trailer. Scorsese should have just made Gangs of Chicago instead.

The only reason I even watched this movie is becasue IMDB said it had Gewn Stefani in it, but I must have blinked and missed her part.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-23-2004 08:04 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a pretty interesting History vs. Hollywood on the History Channel the other night that compared parts of the film to real life. I'm looking forward to screening this tonight.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-24-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
While the film kept my attention through the entire three hours, I was disappointed that Scorsese still knows how to drag scenes out until the audience is dead.

I could have done without the over-emphasis on Hughes' mental problems, too. There was just something that wasn't working there, but I can't put my finger on why I liked it and yet I feel unfulfilled.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2004 12:31 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Adam. There are definately parts that dragged on. It did provide a nice history of Hughes and his work in aviation. Even how the Spruce Goose got its name.

Even though, it was a snoozer.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2004 04:28 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this was an excellent two hour movie, that just happened to keep going for an hour too long.

I like how they portrayed his mental defects, but I think they spent a little too much time on the subject. Some of his accomplishments seemed like sidenotes to his mental ailments. It was actually quite ironic to see about 30 minutes of the movie dedicated to how he made a movie that everyone thought was too long.... Gee where have I noticed that recently?

I guess it gets 3.5 out of 5 stars though, because business was great for us this weekend.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-01-2005 10:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thoroughly enjoyed this show. I don't understand the other comments that suggest that the film was too long--I thought that it wasn't long enough, and certain segments (particularly the Hells' Angels production scenes) were far too short and lacking in detail. Oh, well.

Great script, acting, art direction, etc. There's lots of vintage B&H (did the Eyemo exist in the 1920s?) and Mitchell film equipment visible, and even a 3-strip Technicolor camera with blimp in the background of one shot. Minor nitpick points: I thought that the color timing was rather poor on the print that I saw, though, and there are a number of continuity errors in the first couple of reels. Some of the CGI looked crappy, too.

Otherwise, it's a fun film, and one of the best of the year.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-04-2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought that the color timing was rather poor on the print that I saw,
Part of the odd color timing was that Scorsese was doing a history lesson on how early color processes and stock looked in that era. Remember the early half of the film is the early 30's. The first few reels have an early 2-strip Technicolor look to it. The coloring changes during the middle of the film again for the 40's and finally the 50's brighter color look.

I enjoyed the film, but it does have a few slow spots that could have been cut.

William Valdes
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2005 10:41 PM      Profile for William Valdes   Email William Valdes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this film entirely entertaining, all three hours of it. Howard Hughes led a fascinating life, although not everyone is as interested as others. I personally would have to put The Aviator in my Top Five for 2003.

Jason Gazaille
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 12:53 AM      Profile for Jason Gazaille   Email Jason Gazaille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um, Will... 2003?? OK.
Anyway, I thought it was pretty good, also. My boss however, thought it was pointless. I never knew much about Howard Hughes, so I wish they had maybe told what happened later in his life somehow.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 04:01 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with William {except for the whole 2003 thing}, I like d this move quite a bit. I did feel like the show had another good hour to really finish his story, and feel like Scorcese missed a few notes but it gets into the top ten of the year(2004, that is!!). Loved the color timing and the directing, coulda used a little more detailing in the special effects. out.

8.5/10

William Valdes
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 03:06 AM      Profile for William Valdes   Email William Valdes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, technically the film was probably in pre-production in 2003 so maybe it could be considered umm... ok I goofed! [Razz] anyway you know what I mean. This film is in my Top Five for 2004 [thumbsup] . I'd have to disagree with your boss Jason, there are few biopics this interesting without completely exaggerating (or in many cases rewriting) history. What Scorcese didn't include was how Howard Hughes lived the rest of his life as a recluse, alone until he died of liver failure in 1976. While it would have been nice to include this information at the end of the film, dramatically I think he wanted to end the film on somewhat of a higher note. Still, not such a bad fate considering everything he survived through and managed to accomplish.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-16-2005 05:56 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the film could have been much better, but I was glad MS didn't concentrate on every negative thing HH did, as many 'history' films do today. As it was, I agree it should have been made shorter. The old Howard Hughes TV movie (with Tommy Lee Jones) was on the other night .. now that was boring!

Ryan Powers
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2005 10:58 PM      Profile for Ryan Powers   Email Ryan Powers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little long, but over all a extreamly well done picture that captured the life of Howard Hughes. It is worthy of an Oscar nomination.

Theater/Presentation. Actually saw this movie twice. First screening Carmike Cinemas in Winston Salem. THX auditorium. Excellent Sound, and presentaton. ***1/2 out of Four. Second Screening Consolidated Theaters in Charlotte, The Arboretum. Small auditorium Average sound and presentation, seating could use refurbishing. **1/2 out of four.

The Aviator- ***1/2 out of Four

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 12:01 AM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film for tntertainment value: 8 out of 10.

Historical accuracy: 2 out of 10.

Has anyone ever heard the stories that HH may have done work with the Central Intelligence Agency on several occasions. The most notable one being the construction and use of his "rescue" ship to retrieve a downed submarine?

Sometimes the truth is even stranger than fiction.

Pardon me, as its now time for me to return to my ward [Razz]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-01-2005 03:21 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The submarine thing is a later episode. I believe it happened in the early 70s.
He did manufacture spy planes and other planes for military purpose, so it is almost self-understanding that he was involved with the CIA and other intelligence agencies to a certain degree.
I was a little puzzled by the sudden ending.
Overall, I liked the movie. I generally like long epic movies (except for Postman). But I found that Scorsese celebrated his stylistical virtuosity as a director too obviously and did not achieve a coherent picture. There was too much of the "look, what a great director and creator of images I am!" stuff for its own sake.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: