Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Phantom of the Opera(2004) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Phantom of the Opera(2004)
David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 05:26 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously I had high expectations going into tonight. The trailers looked good, the sound sounded great, and andrew lloyd webber and joel schumacher(sp?) are no slouches.

The movie didn't disappoint.

The sound was fantastic, the acting was incredible, the imagery was terrific, and the story deviated rarely from the play. It slowed down at a few points where you could swear you'd heard that song before(about 16 times) and that was probably the only downer for me.

4.5 out of 5.0.

|  IP: Logged

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 12:12 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our film buyer told me that at the Indiana NATO screening about 45 members showed up to watch it. At the end of the screening only 5 remained. I guess I'll just have to see for myself.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2004 02:26 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definately not the movie for everyone. If you ever saw a performance of phantom and liked it, then you'll love the movie. If the thought of people singing *gasp* scares the hell out of you then you should probably steer as far away as possible. And if you ever saw the play you'd know it starts a bit slow, as it's got to build up, then picks up the pace significantly towards the end.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-20-2004 11:12 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a pretty big fan of musicals, having spent many a year doing sound and other work in the theater. I should like this one...

Maybe perhaps I can do my rendetion of this musical for you... i have kick ass pipes baby!!

Ciao mon

dave

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-21-2004 02:40 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only watched the first 45 minutes or so because we had to run a test on our DLP projector. I don't know if I will watch the rest, but the scenes with Minnie Driver as the Italian Diva were hilarious. Does she appear again later in the movie?
Then I might watch the rest. I have to say though that I really hate ALW's music.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
There once was a day when silly, hidebound traditionalists insisted that singers produce beautiful tones, even (gasp!) insisted that they should STUDY and PRACTICE to do it - and those dreadful old songs that had lyrics that made sense!

I'm glad they don't do that any more - do you think anyone would go to a movie like that, these days?

It'll be the biggest bomb of the year!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2004 04:27 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will this movie do great at the box office, I doubt it. It is pretty boring but the music is good and the scenery/costumes looked nice. Boring but not bad.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even (gasp!) insisted that they should STUDY and PRACTICE to do it

Who exactly did you have an issue with?

Emmy Rossum was 16 when she began recording her part as Christine and she she began her training early enough that she was a part of the Metropolitan Opera Children's Choir as of age 7.

I didn't have a problem with the singing, except a few notes here and there.

With the exception of Minnie Driver as Carlotta, all the principles sing their own parts

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2004 04:16 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best film I've seen all year. [thumbsup] Great costumes, sets, and makeup. My only complaint is that they didn't put in an overture and intermission; a musical that runs over 2 hours ought to have one.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2004 04:20 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately Dan! Of course an intermission would've made it even longer...

Phantom did very well for us over the weekend, although it was stuck in some of our smaller theatres due to 4 focker prints and 2 aviators that sold out some large houses.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 04:14 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! Never saw the play, heard the music only briefly, but I was totally into this film. It's the music that really carries it. Emmy Rossum is amazing and definitely a sight for sore eyes. I loved every minute. I hope it does well. We have it in one of our largest houses, in SRD. Speaking of which, the SRD was AMAZING! Great soundtrack.

AJG

Ryan Powers
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2005 11:08 PM      Profile for Ryan Powers   Email Ryan Powers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen the show on Broadway three times, and the show visiting on tour twice. I am very familiar with the show and the music. I have been waiting for this film to arrive for quite some time and was really worried I would be disappointed. I was thrilled with the outcome right from the start. Sure, the Phantom wasn't pitch perfect compared to other performances I have seen, but I was able to get over it after his second song. The whole look of the film is beautiful.

Theater/Presentation. Carmike Cinemas in Winston Salem- Wynnsong 12. Good presentation, and good sound ***1/2 out of four.

The Phantom of the Opera- ***1/2 out of Four

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 10:50 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compared to other musicals brought to the big screen: 9 out of 10.

ALW does an incredible job of musicals such as CATS; and was able to do an equally impressive job with this movie. Anyone having either the tape of dvd of CATS should look at ALW attention to detail in how CATS was done on state (for stage only), and also how it was redone for television/tape.

These two works have things that only ALW is capable of such as a real orchestra and editing abilites which actually rival most Hollywood productions.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2005 10:52 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this movie was great, the music was AWESOME, The costumes, the Special Effects, the Sets were all GREAT!!!

****1/2 out of *****

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2005 04:18 AM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to attempt to make it to see this movie in a location which has the best sound system in the area; as this would really add to the movie experience. Unfortunately in this area the theaters don't have the best sound systems available- and could probable use some improvements and updating.

Anyone want to open a Lowes here or a THX facility of some sort??

Can't wait for this title to come out on dvd and then go to the neighbors home theater with a most impressive (and well mixed) sound system. The neighbor happens to own the second best recording and mixing facility in the state (even though it is WV). -Or how about this dream- the possible eventual "paid broadcast" in hdtv?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: