Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Flight of the Phoenix (2004) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Flight of the Phoenix (2004)
Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 11:00 AM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drew in an astounding 6 patrons on opening Friday night at our 10-Plex.

What a bomb. Sorry Dennis Quaid

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2004 02:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This one wasn't too great, but it also wasn't too bad. If 1/2 an hour had been cut from it, the movie would've been much more enjoyable. There are simply too many tangents and unnecessary scenes that drag the movie down.

That being said, mega-kudos to whomever did the sound mix on this. GREAT SOUND!!!

3 out of 5 stars

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 08:59 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound mix good.. overall picture sucked...

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 12:52 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from those cutaway shots, like the guy walking through the desert, I enjoyed it.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-19-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Black
...overall picture sucked...
Gosh Jason... what a dumbass!

I agree Chris... While NOT as good as the original, I sorta liked it!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-19-2004 02:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I was flipping through TV channels looking for something that wasn't boring (I failed) the director of this movie was talking about how it was so much better than the original because it was shot in a real desert and has the big effects and the big sound. His words.

So it must be great.

Jason Gazaille
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Jason Gazaille   Email Jason Gazaille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was better than I thought it would be, but I didn't think it was great. I agree the sound was good. FOX even splurged and put SDDS on it! Overall, B-.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

Dumbass, eh?

I'll keep that in mind for use against you at a later time and date...

BTW, my decision stands. The overall film {if that makes you happy, SUCKED.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2004 02:28 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this film accomplishes one thing very well. You definately will want to kick the shit out of that nerdy bastard...

Not sure if that's what they wanted or not, but it's what they got.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 12-22-2004 11:39 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree with most of you. I felt it was slow paced and the cutaways were kind of stupid. But I did enjoy it... why?... Because Dennis is HOT. [Razz] [Big Grin] [Smile] [Cool] On a different note it was predictable and I found every character annoying.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-2004 03:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER

quote: David Yauch
You definately will want to kick the shit out of that nerdy bastard...
That nerdy bastard was the only one in the movie with a brain. Yes he deceived them in regards to his qualifications, but it was something he had to do, and let's not forget it was that nerdy bastard who was the reason they got out of there alive. While I agree his personality and mannerisms were annoying, I respected the character over all the others because he was logical. Sometimes you have to put someone's personality aside and step back to actually see what they are accomplishing, whether you like the way it is achieved or not. The important thing is the end result.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 12:40 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***1/2 out of *****

I enjoyed this film for the great soundtrack (Gotta love it when you can get a little Johhny Cash into a film) the good sound mix. Yes the story was predictable, but that didn't hurt the movie like some films. I would recommend this film to a patron that was trying decide what to watch. If the film made you want to punch Elliott(Giovanni Ribisi) in the face then I guess it did what it was supposed to.

Kurt Zupin

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs a remake of an almost perfect adventure movie?
I just watched the original on DVD for the fifth time, and it's a really great movie. Fine photography and all those excellent actors who knew how to keep the audience on the edge of their seats.

This kind of making wimpy new movies from classics makes me [puke]
What's next, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA with Vin Diesel or Keanu Reeves, maybe a love story added? [Big Grin]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2004 12:21 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
That nerdy bastard was the only one in the movie with a brain.
Brad's right. Although he was annoying and had an ego the size of Phil's...whatever, He was the one who made this movie come together.

I thought this movie was awesome, even through our analog FM transmitters at the drive-in it sounded really great.

Very BRIGHT picture(obviously the desert setting was the reason for that) The plot line was very well developed and the crash looked spectacular.

Overall 4/5

Can someone explain to me the meaning of the nomads? I was confused about that part though.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2004 05:55 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never said the nerdy bastard wasn't the reason they got out alive, or that he wasn't more sensible than anyone else.

He's still a nerdy bastard and I still want to kill him.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: