Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Author Topic: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Dan Suomi
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2004 09:53 AM      Profile for Dan Suomi   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Suomi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short and to the point here!! This movie blows!! I was so bored with it, Jim Carrey was NOT funny at all. I wish I had my 2 hours back.

[ 12-17-2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2004 11:29 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For search purposes:
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-17-2004 10:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4:55PM today, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, house #3. Unfortunately the presentation wasn't up par. The screen masking was set for scope, not flat, and the framing was obviously about a foot low. I told the manager, and they did frame it properly and bring in the masking, but the left edge of the image was still missing the masking by quite a lot (image shifted right). Reel 1 of the feature had the shakes -- looked like a bobble-headed doll. Everything else was steady.

If you haven't read any of the books and don't know what to expect going in, you might not like this. It's dark comedy at best. Or mostly just dark. I did think Jim Carrey was the best thing in the movie. That and the production design, which is very original. The kids are the only "normal" people in the story -- everyone else is over the top (and meant to be that way).

I was thrown off by the cartoon opening -- I thought I was in the wrong theater or something. [Wink]

OK, 2.5 stars out of 4 from me. It didn't suck, and I was adequately entertained by Jim Carrey and the excellent production values.

Is it just me, or is some of the dialog level too low? It seemed like the big effects sequences were plenty loud and dynamic, yet some dialog was almost muffled.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-2004 10:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't they just hire Christopher Lloyd to star in this movie? It would've saved all that makeup and expense of Jim Carrey.

-  -

Jonathan Couchenour
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2004 04:31 AM      Profile for Jonathan Couchenour   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Couchenour   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Why didn't they just hire Christopher Lloyd to star in this movie?
Obvious answer: People will pay to see a 'Jim Carrey' movie, regardless of the film's merit; a 'Christopher Lloyd' movie, not so much.

Nonetheless, the resemblance is quite a coinkydink.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 09:30 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this movie was great...I love the music

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2004 05:44 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else have kids shifting "down the hall" to see the "Elf" movie??

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-26-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loved the music and the end title sequence. Overall, I thought it was good for what it was. The kids should like it. Especially the ones familiar with the books.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2004 10:42 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not read the books or seen the movie, but one of my favorite shows "CBS SUNDAY MORNING" had a segment yesterday about the author.

Anyhow, the author's intent is to introduce children to the realities of life in such a manner that they will understand; that not everything in life has the typical fairytale happy ending.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-27-2004 10:26 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I hated this thing, the target audience...the kids who read this stuff...seemed to enjoy it based on what I heard walking out. I just don't see there being enough of them to keep this franchise afloat.

The previews made this look like a fantasy/dark comedy sort of thing, but it was just plain DARK.

One of the big problems I had was each time the kids tried to point out who the "man in disguise" was. Each time they're brushed off by an adult, they just STOP and stand there. When have you ever known a kid...even an extraordinary one...CAPABLE of holding back like that?

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was actually pretty entertaining. It did keep my attention throughout and I even chuckled at a few points.

The back and forth between Olaf and Sunny was pretty funny and the acting wasn't too bad. Overall pretty good.

3/5

PS: You all know this is coming. hehe. Emily Browning (17 this year BTW) is pretty cute IMHO [thumbsup]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-22-2005 01:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Carrey had some funny lines. The last 1/3 of the movie was a little slow, I thought. I agree with above posts, people who liked the books probably enjoyed it, otherwise might have a hard time "getting it."

A special shout-out to the end credits designer. They obviously lavished a lot of time and love on the credits, very impressive considering only about 1/100 of movie patrons will ever see them.

I have never read the books (or even heard of them), but I was entertained, so 3 out of 5 stars for me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: