Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » A Very Long Engagement ( Un long dimanche de fiançailles )

Author Topic: A Very Long Engagement ( Un long dimanche de fiançailles )
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2004 05:27 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Anyone seen this film yet? I have preview tickets to see it on December 15th.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-28-2004 09:07 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but why the change of title for English language release? A literal translation would be 'A Long Sunday of Engagement'. If they only managed to stay engaged for one day that relationship ain't likely to last very long!

Better French speakers than me please help out (Michael?)! Does 'dimanche' in this context have a slang meaning, as in 'peintre du dimanche' - a 'Sunday painter' who thinks he's Picasso but whose work is clearly that of an amateur?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-28-2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for sure either. Unfortunately, this movie doesn't play in San Diego at all. Apparently there is no cinema playing it closer than LA...

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 09:27 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

I saw this in Paris in the Max Linder theater (which I think you recommended?). The movie has a lot of CGI and very graphic scenes of war. Definitely not a pro-war movie. Not a light hearted movie like Amelie, but not a dirge, either. I recommend it if you are a Jeunet fan.

P.S.

Leo, your hunch ties in with the last scene in the film. It would be a spoiler to go into more detail.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-02-2004 01:30 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like all Jeunet movies. OK, there was also "Alien Resurrection", but everyone is entitled to a mistake once in a while. But I liked "Delicatessen" and "Amélie" very much, and "City of Lost Children" was quite good too. So I am looking forward to seeing this. Apparently this movie will be released slowly across the US, so I am waiting for it to reach San D.

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2004 07:36 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this movie, its not as lighthearted and humorous as Amelie was but still had some funny quick one liners. Its harder to keep up with names and faces than most foreign films I've seen though. I heard rumors before I saw this movie about it being superviolent and even though there is a good bit its all done tastefully and within reason. I highly recommend this to anyone who is into drama or war flicks.
Overall: 5\5

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-25-2004 05:38 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it in the meantime too. I liked the visual style and tone of the movie even though I couldn't follow the storyline and how she discovered what really happened by investigating all the details of the stories she heard (the boots, for instance). But that is not the movie's fault: I always have a hard time figuring out complicated storylines in movies (hell, I couldn't even figure out "Timecop"!). I thought that Jeunet's technique of inserting little shots or postcards of events mentioned in the narration, mostly for comic effect, became a little overused and tedious in this movie. Still, it is a very good movie, and I applaud Jeunet for developing this instead of trying to cheaply follow up the "Amélie" success with a too similar movie.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2005 03:23 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrific film. Really enjoyed it, though I couldn't keep up with the names and clues always. I didn't get "Amélie", but I liked this movie's visual style, like "Amélie". Lots of humor, romance, sadness, and sorrow. Surprises, too. Very intricate... must have kept a 2nd (and 3rd?) unit busy. Didn't notice the CGI except maybe the albatross and where you knew it had to be CGI.

I didn't know Jodie Foster was going to be in the film with a short supporting part. I guess she knows and speaks French very well.

Highly recommended. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: