Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ocean's Twelve (2004) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ocean's Twelve (2004)
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2004 02:38 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good entertaining two hours.
Not as good as the first, but you can't expect it to be. The story moves quick and the comedy is just as good.
The addition of Catherine Zetta Jones was some really nice eye candy [Smile]
-
-
-
-
SPOILERS
I thougt the ending was very predictable, you just knew that they had stolen it right away & that made the finally all the less entertaining. The whole father-daughter story made me cringe, I hate that crap.
I still can't stand Julie Roberts but was thankful she had limited screen time and I hate Bruce Willis even more. One more thing, when they zoom in on each character leaving the building, I just was stunned on how stupid the director must have been. We spent 2 minutes just watching them walk!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-26-2004 06:19 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you not seen the end credits of Buckaroo Banzi!?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-03-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the movie so all I can review at this point is the trailer! [Big Grin]

This movie wins my award for worst trailer of the year. Our Scope copy doesn't even have DTS timecode. On top of that, the trailer pretty much makes the movie look sucky. The teaser was worse (They're ALL back....yes, they're ALL back...) [Roll Eyes]

Andrew Shingleton
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2004 12:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Shingleton   Email Andrew Shingleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mike. When I saw the trailer I thought of one word - pretentious. Sorta like they were going "hey, how clever are we! We've made another really clever movie, and we're going to tell you that you'll definitely want to see it!"

Hopefully the movie doesn't come off that bad.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-09-2004 05:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I have just finished screening this movie.

They're all back...yes they're ALL back...yes, ALL of them...every single last one of them...except for the writer...and that's why it sucked.

1.5 out of 5 stars

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-10-2004 01:56 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the first one, but this one pretty much sucked. Even SDDS-8 didn't help any. [Razz] Go figure.

They are all back, as Brad said.. except also they must have been one camera man short because apparently they hired a one armed chimpanzee with epilepsy to film some of the scenes. OMG Seizure Cam at its worst.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2004 04:25 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe movie had its moments, but overall boring ass direction by Soderburgh. Soderburgh lacks David O Russell's humorous touch. He is a cold director who has to work hard to carry off an ensemble comedy/adventure like these movies. I think Out of Sight was the only one where he pulled it off so well.

THe cast was wasted. Only Vincent Cassell and Elliot Gould seemed to register. The Catherine Zeta Jones subplot ends up being stupid and anticlimactic. The pacing seemed like an indie movie from the 90s where they use 70s south american lounge music for romantic effect. It's like Soderburgh was trying to create some retro cool styles without even considering if they gelled with the genre of the movie.

SPOILERS : So is this what happened? Brad Pitt dates Zeta at some point. Her dad finds out. Wants to use Pitt to get Zeta into his life. So he provokes the Cassell character by provoking him into daring the Ocean's gang to beat him in a heist. So Cassell snitches to Andy Garcia to achieve his goal. Meanwhile, Zeta's dad tips off Ocean that the Faberge Egg is with a courier from whom the gang ends up stealing the egg from the train? Meanwhile Zeta is unaware that fakery is going on and thinks that they are about to steal the egg and captures them all. Then Damon's mom somehow manages to fool everyone into thinking she is a govt agent? THey all escape. Then Pitt takes Zeta to her dad along with the egg in what ends up being a cringeworthy scene? What the hell. Casell honors the bet but is working on stealing money from Garcia in the future.
So is this the plot? END OF SPOILERS

The movie seems to be raking it in this weekend because of no competition. The screenings were getting sold out hours in advance with not a single empty seats and overflow meaning people probably snuck in.

[ 12-11-2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Pravin Ratnam ]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody should buy this DVD and send it to Soderbergh for christmas. Then he could learn how to make a gripping heist movie for about the budget that Mr. Clooney's sandwiches & coffee alone did cost on the production of OCEAN'S ELEVEN and OCEAN'S TWELVE. [Big Grin]

Grand Slam (1966)

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-13-2004 01:38 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very disappointed. The plot really is

[Eek!] SPOILERS [Eek!]
chaotic and doesn't make sense. Especially the whole bet thing. The bet was about who could steal the egg, not who would be informed by the master of all thiefs how else they could steal it before it gets to the museum. That was idiotic. Somehow this encapsules the whole film: they couldn't come up with a good heist story, so they invented this strange, very unlikely and twisted plot and the great coup is that they wrangle the egg from confused couriers on a public train. Great story. But the Julia Roberts impersonating Julia Roberts thing was even worse...

The Italian police has a reputation for being a little chaotic, but even there you couldn't just show up with half a dozen black limousines, flash a fake bage and then take prisoners away. Suspense of disbelief does not mean that you can throw absolutely every unlikely idea at the audience.

And then Monsieur Cassell trained so hard to "dance" through the moving laser beams when he could simply have passed them on either side? It was very easy to see that there was a corridor behind each row of columns which the laser beams almost never touched.

I really don't understand how somebody can write a film like this and it actually gets made. I don't have a talent for storywriting either, but I could have written this one. Only I would have been too embarassed to actually hand it in!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-17-2004 06:26 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or did this seem grainier than Super 35 ought to look given that it was digital intermediate? Does anyone know the details?

As for the movie itself, I enjoyed it, simply by dialing up my suspension of disbelief. If you're complaining about other ways the lasers could have been avoided, then you're entirely missing the point!

--jhawk

William Valdes
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 12:53 AM      Profile for William Valdes   Email William Valdes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait til they complete the inevitable trilogy [Roll Eyes]
with... Oceans Thirteen.

Synopsis: Danny Ocean teams up once again with the gang and yes theyre back. They're ALL back to sit around, talk, pose, and laugh at lame jokes however they face their BIGGEST CHALLENGE to date, a group of copycats who try to steal their thunder (played by Gilbert Godfried, Bobcat Goldthwait, Chris Kattan, Chris Penn, and Gary Coleman) They compete in Mayberry county's 24th annual HEIST-OFF!! Who will be victorious in boosting THE ULTIMATE SCORE... Aunt Bee's home-made APPLE PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Start waiting in line TONIGHT [sleep] for Steven Soderbergh's next $180 million dollar blockbuster!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-22-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the 2001 remake of the original, but Ocean's Twelve was just boring and muddled and completely lacked the energy and style which made the 2001 film memorable. The 2004 film started with a lackluster script and went downhill from there. Yawn.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 11:27 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I first saw the 2001 Ocean's Eleven. I thought it was one of the best films made. A Great heist movie.

What happened with Ocean's Twelve? I really don't know. The energy and atmosphere just wasn't there like the first one. It was entertaining, but very disappointing.

1/5

Oh, and who was the 12th? Was is Roberts? Or Zeta-Jones?

William Valdes
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2005 07:27 PM      Profile for William Valdes   Email William Valdes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was probably Catherine Zeta-Jones

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-17-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched this yet and probably won't. This is one example of me being excited for a movie, but then the trailer wrecked it for me. Just took away all desire to see the movie. This had probably the worst trailer of the year so far. The teaser was terrible, but the final was worse. And the one-sheets were stupid too.

People have been making good comments on exit though. So I guess it's an audience pleaser.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: