Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » SpongeBob SquarePants (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SpongeBob SquarePants
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2004 08:54 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love it. Corny songs, cute little characters. I've never watched the tv series, but enjoyed the film. David Hasselhoff, egads. He sure has a hairy back!!! Ugh. After viewing this film, I just had to run out and buy SpongeBob stuff. The kids are a loving it. [Smile] Be sure to stay through the credits, there's extra footage at the end.

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2004 04:08 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't belive THIS is the movie everyone's dying to see...

***Possible Spoilers***
The fact that the jokes aren't really even funny should give it away. More often than not the "comedy" is achieved more by a stupid line and then a dramatic pause where they all look dumbfounded.

The only joke I laughed at was the assasin taking off his sunglasses to reveal another pair of sunglasses. It was amusing.

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2004 11:54 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've never really liked the show but I loved the movie, Patrick in fishnet stockings...pure genius [Cool]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 02:00 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had never seen the show, but needless to say, I walked out during reel 3. There were a couple funny jokes, but overall, I just could not take it. It's a pity to see children growing up with this and not wholesome entertainment like He-Man and Go-Bots! [Big Grin]

AJG

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

Agreed.. it sucked. I slept thru part of it... and I still felt cheated... [Smile]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Go-Bots!?! The Transformers was far superior. [beer]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-25-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one, I want to see. I purely LOVE SpongeBob! [Big Grin] He's cool. And Patrick's wonderfully vacant. I guess you're supposed to already know the established characters from TV to get the jokes built around their personalities. Which, if you have a pre-teen kid in your house, you're well-acquainted with the drill.

Surely, not re-introducing the personalities for the feature could be detrimental to carrying the show for general audiences.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2004 10:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
The only joke I laughed at was the assasin taking off his sunglasses to reveal another pair of sunglasses. It was amusing.
Pretty bad when the best thing in a movie is ripped off from another movie -- in this case, "AIRPLANE," which (unlike this one) is a really funny movie.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-07-2004 02:42 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a cute movie. [thumbsup]

When the pirate ship lands and they go to the Surf Theatre. The real theatre is called the Vista Theatre in East Hollywood, California. And the interior lobby and auditorium is the Vogue Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. across from the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, California.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 06:57 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spongbob Square Pants rules

I am so looking forward to seeing the film I may not Wait until
it comes out on DVD

sort of a busman's holiday

Alan Dallas
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Alan Dallas   Email Alan Dallas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't/don't care for this one at all.

Funniest part of the movie is the cookie at the end.
"You folks have to leave!"

Well actually I did laugh at the "I rode the Hasselhoff!" line. That gotta pretty good chuckle out of me. Otherwise, just didn't appeal to me.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-08-2004 08:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched most of it the other day on the hige 60 foot Cineplex screen at Layton Hills after a service call. Great picture and sound and picture in decent focus considering the huge size of the 1:85 to 1 image!

This film really has some original things going for it but in the end it seemed to come across as a low budget animated film that could have been a great film had there been more money and more production time. Hopefully the next installment will be done a bit better as this film is doing pretty well and has a large audience.

Mark

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-27-2004 04:59 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NPR's Fresh Air has a great interview up with Tom Kenny, the voice of Spongebob. His observations on voicing movie trailers had me in stitches. Streaming audio link here.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been a fan of Spongebob. I even have seat covers of him/it and Patrick. This movie was an exended version of an episode. I liked it. It was funny as the show is. I did have to bring myself down to a kid's level though and it was great

3.5/5

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2004 06:08 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a story about a sea sponge, shaped like a kitchen sponge, with his sea creature friends and sea monster foes.

Wow she can make anything sound ordinary.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: