Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Polar Express (IMAX and regular 35mm) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Polar Express (IMAX and regular 35mm)
Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-06-2004 08:04 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure if I should just start a regular Polar Express review, or make this the IMAX 3D specific one; but since a lot of what I have to say deals with the 3D, I'll leave it to others to start a regular one if enough people were lucky enough to see the IMAX version and cared to post here. (If people just want to review the regular version here, I'll adjust the title.)

I wasn't looking forward to this movie and had no real desire to see it. However, I really liked it. It wasn't as slap-you-across-the-face with all the "believe, and everything will be right" stuff that I expected. The sentiment behind that kind of stuff takes a backseat to the main drive of the plot: it's a good, adventure-type, holiday-driven movie. The ending, unavoidably, gets slighly sappy; but that's alright.

It took almost 20 hours to assemble this thing, and every frame I caught of people's faces just creeped me out. However, on screen, the characters were a bit more natural and more "fluid". It's not perfect, but it's not stiff either. Some things were awkward, but the direction worked. Lots of subtle body language movement detail; in some cases, perhaps a bit more distracting than necessary.

I was really impressed with the 3D. Since the original approach to the movie was probably not to showcase 3D, there are no obvious "look, here's something coming at you, this is 3D!!!" shots. Instead, the effect is just to drop you right there and let you Experience the action. The background details are worth looking at all the time. Snow flurries, reflections, anything flying through the air, really: it looks great.

There are lots of quick action sequences: the sliding train, the "roller-coaster" first-person perspectives, and some interesting "camera" fly-by's; which work extremely well in 3D. I would say they out-do all the "roller-coaster" CGI ride movies that IMAX has done before.

The movie does not fill the full aspect of the screen. I'm positive it wasn't DMR'd; it was re-rendered explicitly for 15/70 3D. But it maintains the "scope" matting that all the other Warner Bros. DMR's had. Still, this movie doesn't need to fill all your peripheral vision to be effective. The image is VERY crisp (with NO film grain or digital artifacts that Matrixes or Spiderman 2 had) and brighter on screen than I anticipated, considering the 3D glasses and polarizers which greatly reduce light output.

Very catchy, infectious, typical, holiday-oriented music. I enjoyed the score. Since I watched from the booth I didn't get to experience the sound mix and surround effects as well.

Tom Hanks did a good job, voicing pretty much all the adult male characters (so it seemed), which nicely illustrates the "story-telling" aspect of the book adaptation, in a subtle way.

Anyway, we've got a sneak preview of this later today. Hopefully people will be legitimately impressed, as I was, and hopefully the movie will do well in IMAX.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2004 01:00 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care how big it is, the movie still sucks! I saw it at Show East and most of the exit commentary was that the kids looked creepy.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-06-2004 07:31 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the train was wonderfully accurate. Have you no sense of priorities? Who cares about people? People suck.

[Doing my best Joe. R.]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-06-2004 07:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a really bad Joe R. I'd do my best Steve Kraus but I can't be that boring.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, the train is the reason to see the movie (both for the sight and the sound). Why do you think they made the train the biggest thing on the poster and titled the movie after it? Because trains are cool!

My wife gave me the Polar Express train set (Lionel) for my birthday. I expect I'll enjoy the train set as much or more than the movie.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-07-2004 07:12 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had our public sneak preview, and people seemed to love it! (A crowd of maybe 250 to 300 people.) It went really well, and the presentation went off without a hitch. It got a round of applause at the end (which, I know, doesn't necessarily mean much, but it's refreshing to get a reaction from the crowd). My GM was legitimately impressed with the presentation, having never witnessed IMAX 3D before. And the overall sentiment was that it was one of the best Christmas movies in quite a long while.

On a second viewing, I did happen to catch some aliasing here and there, but nothing that most people would notice.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2004 05:37 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is retarded and a huge waste of time. Despite minor things like terrible continuity (for example, note how many cars the train is pulling as it is sliding on ice, and then note the massive quantity of cars the train is pulling as it rolls on into the North Pole), not to mention the poor facial animation vs. the way the dialogue is being voiced, there are other stupid things such as why the passenger cars are suddenly curved when the train goes up a circular mountain, how can the train steer when it is skidding on ice, how did the train magically lock every single car back on the tracks perfectly at the end of the ice scene, and so forth and so on. Now I didn't walk into this movie looking for whether things were "real" or whether the movie was well animated, but by the time I started getting bored with it, that's what I started paying attention to.

Also, with this movie being animated, there is no excuse for it to not have a fantastic soundtrack...but it didn't. It was frequently just loud and sloppily thrown together. I expected more from the mix, but it just had a "Klipsch" sound to it, with no real low end, lots of muddy upper bass and no true clarity. (And no I was not screening this film in an auditorium with Klipsch speakers...it was the same auditorium I screened The Incredibles in with a great sound system.)

It's not a terrible film, and there will be tons of families who will flock to see this film (if for no other reason that there are so few "safe" films to take the family to), so it will certainly do well at the box office. But as for this being a great or even good film, it just isn't there.

2 stars out of 5

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 01:21 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally Lame. With all the hype about the risks WB supposedly took making this movie I was expecting much more. I may see it on Imax just to see if the roller coaster scenes are any good.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-10-2004 01:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to see this movie due to the disturbing-looking characters and the gawd-awful animation. It's like the faces only have 2 muscles operating them or something. Tom Hank's dialog in the trailer and the animation on his character's face did not match the tone of the voice or even sync well. The animation looks very disturbing and this movie would give me many nightmares if I were to view this as a child. It's like I'm watching lifeless zombies or something which are trying to look real in order to catch and eat me. Eery.

All copies of this movie should be set on fire and the studio should be sent the bill. That is the only way my mind can be at peace after seeing these disturbing images.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-10-2004 03:33 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
The animation looks very disturbing and this movie would give me many nightmares if I were to view this as a child.
That's what I thought based on the trailers alone. Like I said, I had no desire to see it. I'm sure I'll get sick of it soon enough but, after two full viewings, it didn't bug me like I thought it would.

As for all the valid gripes Brad had ... it's a movie about a "magic" train that shows up at your front door to take you to the North Pole! Sure, there are too many things to suspend disbelief over ... but, after all, the whole point is just to forget everything and just BELIEVE!!! Okay, that sounds really lame, I know. And in principle I should hate this movie, too; like I expected to. But I didn't. Go figure. Anything's possible.

[ 11-10-2004, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Brian Michael Weidemann ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2004 05:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Michael Weidemann
the whole point is just to forget everything and just BELIEVE!!! Okay, that sounds really lame, I know.
The reason why it sounds really lame is because it IS really lame. [Razz]

Dan Suomi
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 08:20 AM      Profile for Dan Suomi   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Suomi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, with this movie being animated, there is no excuse for it to not have a fantastic soundtrack...but it didn't. It was frequently just loud and sloppily thrown together. I expected more from the mix, but it just had a "Klipsch" sound to it, with no real low end, lots of muddy upper bass and no true clarity
Isn't that just the way 35mm presentations usually are? At least all that I have seen. Maybe you should go see/listen in IMAX to compare. I think the 3D adds something to the film. I saw it in crappy 35mm and was bored with it but in IMAX I was not.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-10-2004 11:41 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the animation looks creepy because the rendering is so photo-realistic. I think if they ever figure out how to get all the muscles in the face moving somewhat randomly in little subtle movements the way all of your facial muscles are moving right now while you're sitting here reading this, then things will look pretty awesome. But right now, the rendered characters look creepy because they LOOK real, but they aren't moving like they're real. And it's not that they're moving too much, I don't think they're moving enough, and the movement they do have seems forced.

They should have used some motion capture, then concentrated on the facial expressions.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-10-2004 12:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this movie, and don't really have much desire to do so with what I've seen. I'm only just jumping in here to make what I believe is a valid point in criticism:

Why bother to do a CG based movie where the characters look photo realistic? What is the point? Why not just shoot live action? There's little point at all in making an artificial version of "reality" if you're not going to do too much to enhance it.

What that said, even movies like Final Fantasy seemed more justified in doing photo realitic CG people than this show. There was a lot of machinery and other stuff to justify an all digital method. Even still, the humans in Final Fantasy suffered from the same thing people are complaining about in Polar Express. The facial expressions just look dead.

Now compare this to "The Incredibles." You have characters that are supposed to be people, but they're not created in photo realitic form. Rather, they are exaggerated in methods similar to caricature. I think that method both allows for better character expression, as well as avoiding constant audience scrutiny on how "real" the characters look.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Suomi
Isn't that just the way 35mm presentations usually are? At least all that I have seen. Maybe you should go see/listen in IMAX to compare.
Please spare me the IMAX superiority bit. That's about as ridiculous as when a DM of Cinemark (back in my Cinemark days) told me that we were going to receive a circuited print from another Cinemark location and "that means it will be in perfect condition." HA! (The print turned out to be scratched and dirty.)

My point is that your post implies that every IMAX theater has a great sound presentation. Just like IMAX, 35mm presentations will vary depending on the theater design, sound tech and the operators running it. The auditorium I watched the movie in was well calibrated and a well mixed track such as the Incredibles sounds phenomenal. Polar's mixing just wasn't that good.

Need I remind you of how insanely shitty both of the Dallas IMAX theaters are in picture and sound??? Yet when I visited Adam Martin's IMAX booth in Sacramento, I got a great presentation. Mileage varies.

I'm sure it looks marvelous in 3D and I've heard great things about the presentation at the IMAX in Grand Rapids, but I have no intention of sitting through that turd again, 2D or 3D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: