Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Incredibles (2004) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Incredibles (2004)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2004 05:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two things to say about this film.

*This has the best sound mix of the year. Absolutely every single sound in the track was well placed, perfectly balanced and smoooooooooth.

*5 out of 5 stars

Nothing else needs to be said.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-04-2004 06:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have figured "The Incredibles" great sound mix to be yet another credit on Gary Rydstrom's distinguished resume. However, I was surprised to find out Rydstrom didn't work on this project. This is the first Pixar feature without Rydstrom as the main sound designer. Apparently Gary must be taking a break from the movie business. His last credit was the 2003 holiday release, "Peter Pan." There's nothing in the pipeline with his name on it. I guess he's not working on Pixar's "Cars" either. Maybe Spielberg will get him back to work for "War of the Worlds."

Incidentally, Randy Thom was the sound designer and supervising sound mixer for "The Incredibles." It might seem strange he had the same duties for "Polar Express," which opens in a few days.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So was the 5 out of 5 stars for the audio mix or for the film?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Overall experience.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2004 09:53 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna go preview it in about an hour, I'll add my review in this spot.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-05-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give it 3.5 out of 5. It was too long. Little kiddies are going to be squirming in the middle. The fact that somebody's super-power was always available "just in the nick of time" got a little old being repeated over and over. And the whole part with the robot in the city near the end, went on too long and had a fairly flat ending.

But the sound was excellent, the animation (as expected) was amazing and the story was pretty good. Voices were all good, especially Craig T. Nelson.

Could have used some judicious editing.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2004 01:04 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film was long, but it didn't seem long. I looked at my watch and I was like...woah. I agree with Brad, I saw the movie tonight in DTS and Dolby Digital (neither with rear surrounds) and it was awesome. Fly bys especially came alive, and really made this movie. And did anyone see that beautiful Water?!?!?

4.5 out of 5

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-05-2004 01:33 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent film! Very entertaining, great sound, great animation, great story, and it wasn't too long at all. Although I think little little kiddies will have a tough time sitting through it. We'll see.

I didn't notice and Pixar easter eggs in this film. I guess I should go watch it again and look harder.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2004 02:59 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with mike here, but I'd give it 4 out of 5. Sure it was long, and kids are gonna get restless, but it kept a quick pace for most of the movie and the sound WAS excellent. Hell I felt my pants shake during a couple fly-bys. Digital surround [Smile] Also it dispelled some of the fears I had while watching trailers that it would be hell for an adult to sit through, it actually wasn't so bad. Not shrek, but not so bad.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2004 03:14 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A darn good movie. It was a great action/adventure flick for everyone in the family. I really thought they nailed the voice casting. The sound mix was good, but it lacked that Rydstrom "oomph" that some other Pixar features have had. Nevertheless, technically very well made.

AJG

Hannes Helfenstein
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2004 07:17 AM      Profile for Hannes Helfenstein   Author's Homepage   Email Hannes Helfenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Bobby: "Peter Pan" was Gary Rydstrom's last sound project. He left Skywalker Sound and went to Pixar but I still hope that he will return. I will miss his perfect soundmixes... [Frown] Read this article here: http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_gary_rydstrom/index.html

Fortunately there are a lot of very fine sound designers at Skywalker Sound that will replace Gary as good as they can: Christopher Boyes, Randy Thom, Ben Burtt, Steve Boeddeker, Tom Myers, Ethan Van der Ryn to name just a few.

And I can't wait to see and listen to "The Incredibles" in Extended-Surround!

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2004 05:26 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this movie was great....plus I got to see the new Star Wars trailer..It was a little slow in places but it was not a big deal...

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-05-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The evil genius reminds me of Harry Knowles.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-05-2004 10:09 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be the best animated movie I have ever seen! [Smile]

The sound mix was, well... Incredible! [Wink]

My ONLY complaint was the 5 or 6 gigantic CRAP codes that popped into the middle of the frame at various points in the film. [Mad]

5 outta 5! Definitely gonna catch this again! [thumbsup]

-Aaron

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-06-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to popular demand, I have written a review for this brand new movie. Please stop calling and e-mailing begging for my amazing opinion.

Story: 9/10
This sure has a different feeling than most Pixar movies, but that's probably because that John Asshatter guy (or whatever his name is) did not direct this movie. It was also a bit more mature, as it had lots of real death (female superheroes getting grinded up in jet turbine engines) and even a rotted corpse. Corpses are cool. In fact corpses are so cool that I guess in Britian or somewhere like that they are gonna show a human corpse rotting on TV! For real. How cool is THAT?! All movies should have at least one rotting or rotted corpse as mandated by the MPAA. Anyway, I guess stuff like that is what got it the PG rating. It could have used a few cuss words to make it better, though. Cuss words enhance any situation and are highly encouraged by everyone on the planet without exception. Great movie and highly entertaining.

Graphics: 7/10
The graphics in this movie were pretty good, but not as sharp as Toy Story 2, etc. I noticed aliasing in quite a few scenes. One of the scenes which it is easy to notice is towards the beginning of the film when Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl meet onscreen for the first time. She has just knocked the robber out and he gets back up and says some jive like "Hey man she got me first..." She punches him again. Watch the top of her arm as she punches him. ALIASING! There is also horrible aliasing at some other parts in the movie I can't quite remember off the top of my head. And yes, I was watching the movie on 35mm film, sitting near the very back of the 550+ seat auditorium. But hell, even the Sega Dreamcast video game system could do full scene anti-aliasing in the hardware. The picture was dim as well so I had to subtract a few points.

Sound: 4/10
I watched this movie at an AMC theater. Therefore the sound was extremely poor, but that shouldn't be surprising. Finding an AMC theater with good sound is as rare as siamese quintuplets sharing a single heart and brain. If I ever made a movie, AMC would not be allowed to play it. Yes, it was echo-city. AMC really does not deserve to be in business. What a horrible, horrible theater chain. As always, the sound will be much better on DVD. I just hope they include a discrete 6.1 DTS-ES track on it. Make it happen, Brad Bird! Also I want to be mentioned in the commentary.

Overall: 9/10
I'm sure that in a good theater without a crappy Torus screen and a decently designed sound system, this movie would kick all ass. I wish directors like Brad Bird were around when I was a projectionist (but now I have outpriced myself from the job since I am the best in Colorado, no holds barred, I'll take on anyone. I am also very humble and theaters hate humble employees like me). This movie is highly recommended and like I said, it'll look and sound great at Brad Miller's theaters, but probably not too many other places, unfortunately.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: