Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ray (2004) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ray (2004)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-28-2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good flick. Jamie Foxx did an excellent job in the role (except when he opened his eyes and looked like Jamie Foxx) and the movie flowed pretty smoothly from start to end without dragging, despite it's 2 1/2 hour run time.

Worth checking out at the theater rather than waiting for DVD.

3.5 out of 5

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-28-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll stick my review in this spot this weekend. Suffice to say I've been looking forward to this one more than anything else released in recent months.

==========================

10/30/04, 7:00PM, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #3. Attendance maybe 75. Some kind of digital sound. Very good presentation, no complaints. Some very visible crap-code in one of the reels though (might have been #4). [thumbsdown]

4.5 out of 5 stars for Jamie Foxx, with a half-star deduction for a couple brief moments when he seemed like Jamie Foxx and not Ray Charles. But his performance is Oscar-worthy and when he's in the Ray groove, he nails it.

3.5 out of 5 for the movie overall. It's good, but it didn't blow me away, and it doesn't seem like "Best Picture" material to me. But as the story of Ray Charles and his remarkable musical career, it gets the job done nicely. Not boring considering its length either.

[ 10-31-2004, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2004 11:59 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMFG!

Brad and I agree.. AGAIN...

I liked the scripting in this flick... The film did flow relatively well, despite it's length. I have a newfound appreciation for Ray Charles now, God rest his soul. The film allowed me the opportunity to touch the pains he must have faced on a daily basis.

I never knew he was such a whore, nor did I know he was a herion addict, however, thinking back, I do recall seeing old footage of him with the 'junkie itch'. I simply didn't know that's what it was...

Overall, I thought Jamie Foxx would most liely be granted Oscar status for this role, if done right. I still think he's worthy enough to win, given the lack of competition this year, save JC and TPOTC.

I'd rate this one 4.5/5 becuase it lived up to all I thought it would be. I'm wondering what the ploy on Universals part is with only releasing limited amounts fo prints, versus the widespread 8000 normal prints released weekly? Oscar contention perhaps? An attempt to generate the buzz needed for such? Where's old Charles E. when you need him?? [Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-29-2004 12:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say we start banning people for using acronyms. What the living hell are JC and TPOTC? The only things I can think of is "Jesus Christ" and "The Phantom of the Cock". Not everyone knows what you are referring to, thus acronyms should be illegal.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 12:23 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Joe,

They should only be illegal because you, not them, suck....

It's Jim Caviezel in The Passion of The Christ.

My bad. [Smile]

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 01:30 PM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray was something that really opened my eyes to a culture I really didnt know about, and i am always appreciative of that. Best movie since The Phantom of the Cock.

7.8835901 out of 8.019274

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was the best movie I have seen in a LONG time. even better than the Passion movie.

if Jamie Foxx doesnt get an academy nom forthis role, I will lose ALL faith in thier ability to pick ANYthing.

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 03:21 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I do believe his performance to be Oscar-worthy, don't forget about Motorcycle diaries, Finding Neverland, Closer and Spongebob Squarepants (ALEC BALDWIN [Smile] !) could be possibles.

Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You are worfwiss Alec Balwin"

This movie was great. I learned a lot about the guy.
Good use of colors in the film.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

On the way home, my wife recalled the Ray Charles Carnegie Hall concert we attended a year or two ago, and said that seeing and hearing him in person was on a par with beholding Guernica and other Picasso works in their originals at MoMA, as the two salient cultural experiences of her arrival in America.

Unfortunately we had to see "Ray" at a multiplex, and the U.A. Midway in Forest Hills numbed us with 30 minutes of filmed advertisements for cars, cell phones and TV programs with something called "2wenty" which we endured for the first (and I hope last) time with poor monaural sound.
Bad enough, but then came a full fifteen minutes of film trailers. Forty-five minutes total of torture before the wonderful music of Ray Charles could begin!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-07-2004 05:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I have to give Ray high marks all around...I didn't like the big time-jump in the last reel (post addiction).

Ray's sound was unique and that certainly came through in this film. They also avoided the need to play all of his "hits" which showed some restraint.

The acting was excellent. This was just good movie making.
4 out of 5 stars from me.

Now for a different perspective.....I hung around downstairs between shows (the advantage of being in a single, I guess)...anyway this film really shows the HUGE cross-section of the population Ray Charles [Robinson] played to.

We had probably the largest quantities of elderly (70+) white couples in attendance that I have EVER seen in the 16+ years I've been showing films at the Uptown. In addition to them there were all genders and colors of skin...families and dating couples. The only "group" not represented were the kiddies unless they were in tow with the aforementioned families. There were no "birthday party" crowds.

It was really nice to see such a diverse population in one large room...I must admit, I don't see that very often.

I know of no one that came out disliking the film but did hear comments about wanting more!

Steve

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray was filmed almost entirely in New Orleans. One of the fun things in the movie is noticing New Orleans landmarks like the Hibernia Bank tower in "New York", etc.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, the movie was good. Jamie Foxx, the actor, was better. Best actor of the year.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Along with the crowds you saw, what type fo reaction(s) did you witness? I heard nothing but great things from the patrons! It's times such as this that make me proud to do what I do.. [thumbsup]

When you provide a quality presentation and get to witness praise and good comments from the audience during the credits and as they leave it just makes you feel good about what you do... [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-15-2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent show. Highly recommended.

I really enjoyed this, except for the FUCKING STUPID IDIOT who sat next to me and ANSWERED HIS CELL PHONE during the show. This has happened at about half of the films that I have attended in the last year. Why do these people ALWAYS have to sit next to me (or in front of or behind me)? Why was this not a problem before 2004? Why hasn't someone shot these people yet?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: