Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Final Cut

Author Topic: Final Cut
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 09:53 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad story overall. Robin Williams is a "cutter" who compiles peoples memory captured through an implanted chip into a "rememory" for the immediate family.

Presentation was however a different story. This was presented at (whispering) AMC using their DTDS (Digital Theatre Distribution System) with a low cost projector. The masking was set to flat even though the content format was in scope. Having the masking set properly would have hidden the washed out black that was evident at the top and sides. They must have ran some things in flat because it spilled below the screen for a couple of trailers and the "AMC Film Strip Guy"

I sat at the extreme back of the theatre, 40+ ft, and the "screen door" effect was still evident. After the show was over, there was a couple of spots on the screen where color was still going through, similar to a stuck pixel. I don't know the technology behind the projector but suspect it may have been LCOS. (Is that acronym right?)

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the digital era...

Rockets Redglare!, a documentary nobody went to see, was projected digitally at Regal theatres too.

I was really looking forard to seeing THE FINAL CUT. But when I learned it was showing at AMC exclusively, I changed my mind and will wait for the DVD.

EDIT:
OK, I broke down and saw FINAL CUT yesterday at The AMC 1000 VAN NESS. Great movie. BUT, AMC MUST BE STOPPED. They showed it on a SCOPE screen with the 1.33 digital projector showing the scope feature within that! [Eek!]

[ 10-24-2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Eric Hooper ]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-21-2004 04:59 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
[off topic] Low Cost Obsolete Shit? [/off topic]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-22-2004 02:18 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are all of the theatres playing Final Cut showing it on DTSD?

Jason Gazaille
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2004 01:33 AM      Profile for Jason Gazaille   Email Jason Gazaille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe they all did. A friend of mine at the theatre I used to work at (where he still does) said the presentaion really sucked and that he felt bad for anybody that paid 9.50 to see it, even though the movie may be pretty good. I won't ever watch anything on ANY digital projector in a theatre so it's a DVD viewing for me, for sure.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: