Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Friday Night Lights (2004) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Night Lights (2004)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-2004 01:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't really a movie, it's sort of a documentary, sort of a movie, but all in all a big jumbled mess of a football movie.

WARNING - This movie is shot almost entirely with "the cameraman is having a seizure" style of constant zooming, focusing and unnecessary shaking. This REALLY distracts from the movie whenever there is not an actual football game going.

As if the shaky camera isn't enough, be sure and check out the sloppy sound mixing too. [Roll Eyes]

This is a nice big waste of time, but there have been far worse movies this year. 2 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-07-2004 06:26 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5 out of 5 stars from me.

Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2004 08:57 AM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had an advance screening the other night for a college class and football team. 2 of the students needed popcorn tubs because they were nauseous. They looked pretty sick.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That was due to the camerawork.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2004 11:06 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 of 5 stars. I must confess, I got into the game. Camera work fit in the game scenes, but what the hell were they doing in normal footage. They also did a terrible job of character development.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a piece of crap. 118 minutes that I can never reclaim from my life. Totally unbelievable, uninteresting characters, and pimpleless teen athletes. Have you ever scene so many fans at a High School playoff game???? Did I hear them correct....55,000 fans???? Give me a break. Camera work was making me sick. The amateur zooming in and out also was bothersome. Only good point was....awesome color saturation, and I love the graininess of the film. Other than that, I'm glad I didn't pay for seeing it. I don't see what any audience will see in this film, nor the age bracket that will find it interesting. 118 minutes long....come on, 45 minutes would have been long enough. [thumbsdown]

Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2004 11:38 AM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing it for myself, I though the movie was incredible . I also believe that it will do very good business. Instead of argueing about it, I will just say that everything from the games to outside the games was very realistic.

People of all ages can get really into the football game. Even women. The movie is really intense.

I would suggest NOT sitting in the front rows. Otherwise, you will need a popcorn tub of your own [puke] , but I don't think the camera detracted from it too much.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-08-2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you ever scene so many fans at a High School playoff game???? Did I hear them correct....55,000 fans???? Give me a break. I don't see what any audience will see in this film, nor the age bracket that will find it interesting.
Have you ever been to a high school playoff game in Texas? Or even bigger, the state championship in Texas? The crowds are huge at the playoff games, but I havent been to a state championship game, but I imagine its a huge turnout. As far as the audience and age bracket, how about teenagers who play football? They might be interested. [Cool]

Erika McCarty
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2004 11:44 PM      Profile for Erika McCarty   Email Erika McCarty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Jeremy's right, high school football is a little different in Texas.

I enjoyed it and appreciated the documentary feel.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-09-2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Oklahoma Memorial Stadium at the University of Oklahoma has a capacity of 82,000. High School football state championships have to be held there.

Even *I* was a football fan when I lived there, and I hate football!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-09-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh it's different alright, at least my team was. I shot every game for the coaches in 16mm and for 4 years in high school...we didn't win a single one! There's something wrong about every time we would play away from home how the other school would be having homecoming. [Roll Eyes]

The sad part is those 4 years were part of a 16 year losing streak! That's right, my school went 16 straight years without a win. We ruled.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-10-2004 10:09 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of yanking our Grand-Poo-BAH's chain.. (which of course I totally enjoy!). I hated it!!!

...UNTIL!!! I understood the premise and all the facts that were portrayed in this film are based on real events!

While I certainly think ANYONE that would go to the ends of ANY game like in this film are a bunch of losers and NEED to get a life.... or at least J/O once a day, I can understand what makes this film great..

I was REALLY impressed that Texas "Rich" guys would be THAT obsessive for a STUPID game let alone football. I mean... a HS (little boys!) team with their own private Lear jet? JFC! I wonder which team members were getting BJ's/blowing whom in their spare time? (I have an extra jet available... for those 18+ y/o's!) [Smile]

That being said, I will reluctantly give the film a neutral 2.50 outta 5.

Cuz, While I REALLY HATED the production values AND the (lack-of) acting.... the *STORY* and "premise" was REALLY quite good!

Fuck you Brad!

>>> Phil

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-10-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A+ for potential,
D for execution.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2004 11:50 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that filling a stadium with 55,000 people is that hard...considering the game would likely have been free or close to it. I liked this movie for portraying a true story...they did a decent job. Camera work was a little weird, but it didnt' make me sick or anything. Billy Bob Thorton did a decent job though.

3 out of 5

Chad Lindsey
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2004 03:02 AM      Profile for Chad Lindsey   Email Chad Lindsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they'd done something different with that camera work, we had 3 cases of [puke] in one showing (saturday night 7:30). For one of our workers it was their first time to usher... poor guy, he thinks thats normal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: