Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Shark Tale (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shark Tale
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 10:58 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rather entertaining. Visuals are great.

(Mike Olpin might have to change his signature from his Nemo one)

EDIT: Because Richard asked, but he can keep the kiss. [Confused]

[ 09-29-2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Paul Konen ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-29-2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm about to dust off my "Pixaroligist" sig for Incredibles.
I don't do the Dreamworks knock-off crap.
When is Katzenberg going to stop copying others more tallented than himself?

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 04:26 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually i don't think he has stolen/copied ideas.
Considering the production time that precedes a movie it would be virtually impossible to clone a hit, then release within 6 months of said hit.

Re Shark Tale, I was expecting a movie that took the piss, mainly out of the mafia. The reality was an undersea urban black community.
No stand out moments. 6/10

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-29-2004 05:18 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not impossable. In 1998 Dremworks was gearing up to relese their first feature length animated film "Prince of Egypt". They knew that Pixar's "A Bug's Life" would dominate that holiday season. So, just a few weeks after PIXAR anounced Bugs (1996), DreamWorks contracted PDI to create a movie called "Antz" that would actually precede Bug's life by a month, hopefully stealing some of its thunder. Both studios had ample time to work on their competing projects.

There are at least half a dozen other cases that I could point out.

Now, that said, I hope Shark Tale does allright at the box (Its always sad to see any animation tank ala "Titan AE")

It should also be noted that PDI, has redeemed themselves with several original ideas, including Shrek and Madagascar. Shark Tale is produced by the old traditional animation unit at DreamWorks (El Dorado, Sinbad), not the PDI unit.

--Lets open another thread if someone wants to continue this topic

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I know I'm a bit picky, but could you set the title to the proper movie name, "Shark Tale" Please? For Me? I'll give you a kiss [Big Grin]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 09:59 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
I don't do the Dreamworks knock-off crap.
Well said.

To quote Tim Arista, "you see finding nemo, you rip it off; its what dreamworks does"

It looks stupid to me.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2004 02:37 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't expecting much, because like Mike, this is just more Dreamworks wanna-be Pixar knock-off crap. But even not expecting much, I was REALLY bored during this! Pixar takes unbelieveable things and puts it in a semi-realistic environment, and that's why it works...but this was just stupid.

Save your energy and sleep instead.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly, this wasn't *THAT* bad. It is, after all, a real rip-off of Finding Nemo, but that's beside the point.

I think this will do well given the lack of any *true* competition for the family audiences this month. I'm guessing that it makes 50mil this weekend alone. I don't see anyone making return trips to this, as it wasn't THAT good. Then again, with the 8000+ prints available, everyone CAN see it on opening weekend. Isn't that all our industry is good for anymore? [Roll Eyes]

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2004 02:57 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shrek: Funny, original, and different from pixar (large amount of pop-culture undertones.

Shrek 2: See above. a little less "good writing"

Shark... Tale....: Finding Nemo Ebonics. If I were african american I would be offended. Also if I were Italian. Not that a lot of great Irish movies have come out, but this one takes the cake for making me want to see what could be done in characters without all of that ... stereotype... stuff. Will smith bombed big in I-Robot with merchandising, now it seems he may have had a big part in scripting. Bad news.

A good movie has each line scripted and rehearsed and researched to perfection. No time is wasted in blank lines for a cheap laugh that most won't bother to laugh at. Here it seems like they did the whole movies animation and than said "ok now dialogue. Whatever fits. Hire some kids who ride a little bus."

Please dear god, let Pixar redeem us this fall.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-01-2004 10:51 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen this yet. Is it a rip-off of NEMO because it's an animated "fish movie" or is it more than that? Similar stories, perhaps?

Is one of the sharks named Bruce by any chance?

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-02-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My little boy liked it. I guess thats what really matters anyway. That the target audience makes their parents take them to see it, again and again. He also said if he were Italian or African American he would be offended..wait, he's only 3, he doesnt understand that kind of crap yet. [Cool]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 12:38 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One word: BORING. It had a few laughs, but overall what a lame story that is overly predicatable and just lacking substance. Bring on The Incredibles.

AJG

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some funny things:
SPOILERS... kinda

Oscar says "you had me at a low" and it pans to Renee Zellwellegererrwelleger (sp) who said that in Jerry Mcguire.

Yah I think thats the only time I laughed. And at the end when Will Smith writes a song. The entire credit soundtrack is a little audience-inappropriate.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2004 01:39 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like others I got a few laughs but overall I thought the story was boring.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-06-2004 12:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg - what in the world was wrong with the credits? Oh you must mean the SONGS. Well every kid today can mouth all the potty crap that spews from the likes of Eminem and OutKast, and the movie IS rated PG, so I don't see anything wrong with it. The little animated additions during the credits were the best part of the movie.

At least the songs (for the most part) have melodies, which is something you can't always say these days.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: