Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Shall We Dance? (2004)

Author Topic: Shall We Dance? (2004)
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-26-2004 11:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as luck would have it, I ran Shall We Dance? on Saturday and overall, I liked it.

This is not a great film or a life changing film but it is certainly entertaining for those beyond 30 years old.

There is certainly a bit a "mid-life crisis" theme to the film and thus will have little appeal to the younger set. It is a film that is not a repeat of one I have personally seen before so that always gets a big plus in my book.

I normally do not like Richard Gere films but he did just fine in this one.

If your theatre caters to mature audiences and Mirimax does some decent promoting of the film, it should do well.

3.5 stars out of 5

Steve

[ 10-17-2004, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-26-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to seeing this and comparing it to the 1997 Japanese original. I see that Masayuki Sou got a screenwriting credit on this version. Miramax handled the original too, then buried it even though it had highest theatrical gross of any Japanese film released in the US to date. It had a short release on video and LD but never on R1 DVD. Maybe that'll happen as some sort of cross back-catalog promotion tie-in for this one.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2004 03:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Y A W N ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I'll give Steve's review some credit that for what this is, it was done pretty well and should cater to an older audience. However 30??? I think it will be more like 40 and up.

For anyone under 30 who isn't a ballroom dancing fanatic, especially males, this movie is a non-stop borefest. (This will become Phil's favorite movie of all time. [Wink] )

1.5 out of 5 though, because nothing is as bad as Anchorman!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-15-2004 09:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the original version (it was a good date movie), but I'm sure that the remake will pale by comparison (as remakes tend to do). I don't really have any interest in the new one.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-15-2004 01:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Brad...I should have clarified that one has to have a maturity level of 30 and up...not actual age...as such Joe would never like it.

I'll admit that 30 is a bit young for a mid-life crisis but it used to be considered "over the hill". You statement of 40+ is probably more correct though.

Steve (knocking on 40's door)

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-15-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are old. When I turn 25, its all over for me. Theres no reason to go on. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Steve I turn 35 in a couple of months. Just how much older are you?

It really has to do with taste and interest, not maturity. If you're into the same old corny Hollywood slop, that's fine. If you are a fabulous ballroom dancer in your spare time, that's fine too. But to claim maturity? That's a bit of a pompus and ridiculous attitude don't you think? [Razz]

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-15-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about 5 years your senior. But as time goes by, one tends to look back and think things like..."wouldn't it be nice to be able to ballroom dance?" I know it has crossed my mind from time to time. Mind you, it doesn't have to be dancing...to be the thing...it could be playing a musical instrument or a trip around the world or whatever. There just comes a point every so often when you think about what you might want to do that you haven't done and there isn't all the time left in the world.

Steve

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 12:40 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should call it "shall we suggest another movie?"

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2004 09:43 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on guys, let's get back to to reviews please, I dont want to have to lock this thread. [Razz]

From what I have seen so far it looks half way interesting, enough to make me want to watch it when it come on the Starz free preview weekend.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: