Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pauly Shore Is Dead (theatrical VIDEO premiere!)

Author Topic: Pauly Shore Is Dead (theatrical VIDEO premiere!)
Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2004 02:10 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from the World Premiere at the Crest Theatre here in Sacramento, where 11 years ago I got to learn how to run their 35mm changeover booth but never got to actually work there by myself, and they now have a platter system:
Well, the first 15 minutes were pretty funny. Can't say anything about the rest though, as some jerks in the theater were smoking and the person I was with was getting physically ill from it and wanted to leave. I was already considering leaving because the "movie" being shown at this historic theatre was being shown on VIDEO! For some reason they had the curtain up before the show, and Pauly Shore himself came onstage and introduced the thing, which was worth the trip (he acknowledged that the stuff he was doing 10 years ago wasn't all that funny.) I saw a "Sanyo" splash screen come up on the screen behind him but didn't think much of it until the "show" started and first we saw the silent 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment intro that they put on all their DVDs, then a "PLAY" display in the top-left corner! The picture wasn't as bright as the film presentations I've seen there but it was servicable, except that the feature appeared to have been shot on video, transferred to film and then transferred back to video, so it didn't look good at all and I wondered why they didn't just leave it at 30 frames per second if they were going to show it in theaters on a DVD anyway.
We complained to a manager about the smoking and got our tickets refunded, and I asked why the "movie" was being shown on a DVD. She said "That's what they gave us" which was reasonable enough, but she added "It is DIGITAL though, like George Lucas uses!" [Eek!]
The evening wasn't a bust however as before the show Mr. Shore was in the lobby and autographed my laserdiscs of Encino Man, Jury Duty and Bio-Dome (yes, I actually bought those movies, but didn't pay more than $10 for each of them. I liked Encino Man, Jury Duty was amusing, but Bio-Dome is just plain awful- the concept could have made a good movie but they really blew it.) These autographed LDs come only second to the David Cassidy autographed Partridge Family 8-track I have. [Smile]
When we left he was outside the theater autographing the movie poster, so I thanked him again for signing my laserdiscs and said the new movie seemed enjoyable but we had to leave because someone was smoking in the theater, and I politely asked why they didn't spring for a film print. He said prints were being made, and that maybe the Crest would be getting one of them later, so I said we'd try to come back and see it but if not I'd buy the DVD when it came out for sale.
If anyone reading this has a DVD in their posession though, please bring it by my place. [Razz]
I'm gonna watch Encino Man on laserdisc right now.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-18-2004 03:07 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that's a pretty wierd deal.

I never was a big Pauly Shore fan, but have an odd personal anectode to add. He did a somewhat forgettable movie back in the mid 1990's called "In the Army Now". Parts of that movie were filmed here in the Lawton area, aboard Fort Sill.

A friend of mine, Allen Stokes, basically played himself in that movie: a very intimidating drill sergeant. The guy only stands about 6' 5". Being a drill sergeant was his job for real. Allen retired from the Army a couple years ago at the rank of Command Sergeant Major. He also played a drill sergeant in the TV movie "The Tuskeegee Airmen". Allen told me Pauly Shore acted kind of snotty around some people, but he thought Pauly was a fairly nice guy. Yeah, just try acting snotty around a tall, black, scary looking drill sergeant!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2004 03:23 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really a big fan of his either but it was a friend's idea to go- he seemed really nice though. I almost felt bad walking out of the show, but they shouldn't have allowed people in the audience to smoke for that long without getting nabbed, and I felt pretty cheated getting shown a video instead of a film. The rest of the audience didn't seem to notice, I shall weep for them all.
Amazingly, the theater I worked at for a long time played "Encino Man" but none of his other movies made it there, and they usually got everything. I have the whole series of Son-In-Law teasers though, and I did end up seeing all of his other movies anyway, mostly thanks(?) to the laserdisc blow-out sales (Jury Duty is widescreen on LD but only pan&scan on DVD!) I'm not sure why, but I did go to another theater to see "In The Army Now" since my theater wasn't playing it- it was at the UA Market Square where they ran the entire show out of focus, continuing what has been an over 10-year tradition of substandard presentation.
I'm pretty disappointed with the Crest trying to pass off video as a movie since they're the last "real" theatre in the area; they need to do something about the acoustics there as well as the echo makes it hard to hear the dialogue.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-21-2004 03:14 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Pauly Shore WAS dead. (Maybe it was just wishful thinking or a dream or something.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: