Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Cellular (2004)

Author Topic: Cellular (2004)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-09-2004 05:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the award for WORST ACTRESS OF 2004 goes to...Kim Basinger!!!

...and the award for WORST DIRECTION OF 2004 goes to...David R. Ellis!!!

...and the award for WORST MOVIE OF THE YEAR SECOND ONLY TO ANCHORMAN goes to...Cellular!!!

Need I say more?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2004 08:26 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really didn't think it was that bad. It had me on the edge of my seat for a lot of it. Agreed that Kim Basinger sucked, Jason Staham also was REALLY bad.

I found it funny at some parts and I really found myself getting into it. Overall not too bad for me. Chris Evans was really good in the lead. I felt they could've developed more on how the cops got bad.

2.8/5

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-13-2004 05:52 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] SPOILER [Eek!]
So the guy goes to the police station with the phone in hand and the victim on the other end of the line and they send him upstairs to the 4th floor because there is trouble in the lobby. OK, then he fears he will lose the signal on the staircase, so instead of going back one floor or to the lobby and trying to attract SOMEBODY'S attention - I don't know how well equipped the LAPD is, but I do think they actually have phones in the building too, so somebody could call the 4th floor from the 3rd, or even the 2nd -, he simply leaves the police station altogether and continues his odyssee?
Stuff like that completely spoils a movie for me. "Speed" was very unlikely too, but at least it made sense in its own context.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2004 02:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Predictable, lame premise, and not the greatest dialouge but ya know, I enjoyed it! Kim Basinger still looks good too! [sex]

AJG

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 12:04 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really surprised by this one. I was very reluctant to watch this movie, but found myself with nothing to do on a Monday night. I expected to make fun of the movie with my friends (we were the only ones in the auditorium), but to my amazement, almost nothing about the movie was laughably bad. The key to enjoying the movie is not to take it too seriously; despite the apparent marketing strategy, the film doesn't take itself too seriously either. I found myself really pulling for Ryan, even moreso than Jessica, and the film's comedic moments (which actually are funny) are mostly meant to be so. But the movie is still a suspense thriller, and it still succeeds on these grounds if you can suspend your own disbelief. Once again, if you don't take the film too seriously, you won't have much of a problem with this. William H. Macy is great in his supporting role as usual, and the bad guys are convincing enough to make you loathe them. And I'm sure many will lambast the cell phone jokes, but they aren't meant to be taken seriously. This film delivers on its admitably cheesy premise, and is never dull for a moment. Even if you're as skeptical as I was, give Cellular a chance.

7.5/10

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2004 12:47 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this movie because it was a good MST3000 type movie. Hilariously awful acting by Kim Basinger, hilarious scenes that were meant to be serious. Some serious stupidity in the movie.

If you can manage to suspend all levels of logic, this is the movie to see because it is rarely boring.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-25-2004 06:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
..and the award for WORST DIRECTION OF 2004 goes to...David R. Ellis!!!
Even worse than the direction of "The Bourne Surpremacy"?

Pete Wolla
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2004 09:47 AM      Profile for Pete Wolla   Email Pete Wolla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
showing cellular this weekend i enjoyed it .it was far fetched and predictable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: