Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Exorcist: The Beginning

Author Topic: Exorcist: The Beginning
Carl James Valentine
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 01:59 AM      Profile for Carl James Valentine   Email Carl James Valentine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, I previewed the new exorcist movie, which was
actually pretty good. The story lulled in certain parts,
and anyone who has watched horror flicks for a while could
probably figure out the "twists" in the plot way before they
actually happen. I was thoroughly entertained,
though not really scared. After you watch it, you feel like
watching the original, which actually is freaking scary!!!!!

P.S. watch it with girls. Seeing their reaction
to the movie intensifies the movie itself

******************************POSSIBLE SPOILER!!!!*********************************
There is a part near the end where the demon is sitting on top
of the priest and is pretending to hump him. My entire staff
BUSTED up laughing!!!!!!

When they directed the movie, didn't they see how unserious this is,
given the serious tone of the movie?
*****************************POSSIBLE SPOILER!!!!!***********************************

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl, Is your staff mostly teenagers? If so, that's why they busted up laughing. I didn't find anything funny about it.

As far as the movie goes. I was really entertained. It had a few scenes that made my heart skip a beat. This wasn't as scary as the 1970's Exorcist, but it was up there. This is NOT for small children.

There was a little girl in the theatre I was in and I heard her ask her parents if the specific scene was over. That isn't right.

I liked this movie a lot and it really adds some insight int what the 70's movie was about.

4.5/5

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 03:36 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little too long in spots, but my real complaint is how it went from creepy to cheese near the end. The final battle/exorcism was weak and spoofish, while the 1973 version was far more intense.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 06:56 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be really interesting to hear a review of the original version of this movie, that is, Paul Schraeders version. Perhaps someone here saw it in a trade screening?

Carl James Valentine
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Carl James Valentine   Email Carl James Valentine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Richard, my entire staff is teenagers. We are what I
like to call a "Teenie Bopper" Theatre. Its all about
who is dating who, who got drunk last night and did something
dumb, and they pawn me off as the old man on the job, even though I'm 23. [Roll Eyes]

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 05:13 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had no thoughts going into this movie....didn't have one thought throughout the actual movie except 'they reshot this movie and this is all they could do'. I'm sorry but this is a huge disappointment. Two points: The effects were so horribly done a 5 year old could pick them out, really took me away from the 'had so much potential' plot. I think there is a movie in there somewhere, which means the editors are the real culprits here. There was a completed film and 80% replaced, tell me a decent editor could not have found a movie in there somewhere. Cliche' driven at ninety miles per hour....quick cuts, short loud sound effects galore. Why not just stick to the originals formula which at this point in time would be more 'original' than this utter waste of time. Hell I'd rather watch part II and I hate that movie. One I loved, Three was interesting.

Spoiler alert---------------

The way Father Marrins(Marion?) story was related in the original is that he drove a demon from a youg 'boy' in Africa, not the Dainty semi-love interest shoved in there so they could complete the horror genres quota of shower scenes per film. The only way to get it mixed up in the latter story is the 'found his faith again' Marrin LIED to the vatican.

Rant off

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 09:28 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CGI was miserable, but I thought the soundtrack was effective, especially when it was time to shake the audience up a bit. The surround mix was really good in spots, but the film was utterly predictable to the point that I was guessing the dialogue before it came out...and getting it right! It was entertaining, but dragged a bit. I'd like to know why a supposedly Catholic priest was adding ...."and the power and the glory, forever and ever" to the Lord's prayer...that was a definite no-no in the latin church. I'd also like to know how they supposedly buried an entire church in rock using their bare hands. I enjoyed the scary spots and yawned through the rest.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2004 03:30 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to 'experience' this movie in analog, so I didn't quite get anything from the soundtrack. I went into this movie thinking it would suck, and it did.

The CG was aweful, as some of the blue screen shots (the one with him walking by the Vatican). The movie wasn't even remotely scary most of the way through.

1.5/5

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: