Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Garden State

Author Topic: Garden State
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 07:24 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Garden State is the best film I have seen this year.

A simple, slow love story told in a unique way. The filmmaker uses speeded up and slowed down shots to establish the characters frame of mind at the moment. His character development was flawless. We were able to establish most of what we know about a character with very little information being given. Most characters also grow out of our perceptions throughout the film.

More information was given through the lack of action than through action. So when action actually occurred it was surprising and fresh.

Garden State does play like a modern version of The Graduate, so that may be a bit derivative. However I feel as though it is an homage to another great film.

It also helps that Natalie Portman is in it, as I would watch her read the phone book on film.

We had 69-people in our 3:15 PM showing and there was applause at the end of the film. It is drawing a much younger demographic that our usual senior citizens. I haven't seen so many tight jeans and bared midriffs since high school. [thumbsup]

The only reason I saw this film was because the protagonist's name was "Large." [Big Grin]

Every now and then a film comes along that tells me that it might be nice to be in love; this was one of them.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 02:49 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, very good film. It starts out and you think it is a druggie movie, like trainspotting or something, but it really unfolds and quickly at that. I didnt know anything about the movie going in except that it had Natalie Portman and I was pleased.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-27-2004 02:41 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only does it have a great plot, but the soundtrack kicks ass too.

4/5

JJ

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2004 01:44 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of my top 3 this year too....

4.5/5

Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2004 11:30 AM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Very good, especially for a 1st time writer/director.

And it's in SCOPE!! [thumbsup]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2004 01:21 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very good effort by Zach Braff who handled the movie like a veteran. Not afraid to put in minor tweaks to typical indie situations. Very charming characters and performances by all including Portman. Soundtrack peppered with songs worthy of a Wes Anderson movie such as Nick Drake, the Shins.

Good to see all by yourself or with a date.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-30-2004 01:08 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Garden State twice already and plan on it a few more times. This is definitely the best movie I've seen this year.

I agree with Ian that I would watch Natalie Portman read the phone book, she's so adorable. I might go straight if I had a chance to get Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley together in the same room.

And I agree with all of the above, one of the greatest soundtracks I've heard in a long time. I was giddy throughout the entire movie whenever a song came on and I could identify it because I was just listening to it earlier that week.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-08-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Josh. The soundtrack so VERY GOOD. I'm listening to it right now [Big Grin] The movie was awesome too. I love the little moments of humor it has. Life is funny that way. I'm a sucker for these kind of movies.

I went into the movie not knowing it was written and directed by the lead actor. Very impressive.

4.5/5

[ 09-08-2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Jennifer Pan ]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott D. Neff
I agree with Ian that I would watch Natalie Portman read the phone book, she's so adorable. I might go straight if I had a chance to get Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley together in the same room.

Scott might go straight; If I had Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley and Jennifer Pan together in the same room, I might just have to die, right there. [Big Grin]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-09-2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... maybe I should go into acting...

Back to the movie kinda, I loved the movie so much I'm inspired to make a movie myself. Nothing special. But the soundtrack of this movie got me going, I've been downloading Indie music like crazy [Big Grin] .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: