Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet Jesus Christ!

This turd ranks right up there with Cat in the Hat. Not only did I doze off no less than three times, I found very little humor in this film. All in all, I must say that this is a ZERO on any scale.

I have a special 12:01 showing for the local TV station tonight... Wooo Hooooo... lucky them...

|  IP: Logged

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hated this one.
Well, I hated the the first 30 minutes and last 30 minutes. I left for the middle cause it was so bad.
Don't bother with it.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 01:39 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after the first twenty minutes of the movie or so, I was very disappointed. But just as I started losing interest, there was a turn-around -- I'll bet anyone who has seen it can guess what it was. (Hint: it happened on a bridge) Now, for the record, I'm not a big fan of the average low-brow comedy. It's not that I don't find them funny, but more that I find myself being ashamed for finding them funny. However, the more I got into the movie, the less I had that feeling. This movie really sets itself apart from comedy of the past 5 years with its absurdity. I guess the closest comparison would be Freddy Got Fingered -- both are deliberately bad movies with situations that rank from strange to downright bizarre. The cheap humor is there, but it tends not to weigh down the film too much. This movie is for fans of random events, nonsensical dialogue, and anything and everything that is preposterous. In other words, if you're a fan of Mel Brooks, you might find much to like in this movie. It's certainly not the overall crowd pleaser of a movie such as Old School, but it plays a lot less to convention than the average comedy. If you can make it through the beginning and don't mind watching something that makes so little sense that it's almost impossible to recollect, you'll get more than a few hearty laughs out of this film.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 02:25 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny funny movie. It's random, odd, weird, and just plain crazy but that is what makes it special. It was, at a point, unpredictable. The bridge scene is a great example. Also, the rumble scene from the trailer was probably one of the funniest moments I've ever seen in a film. Fans of Python, Brooks, or even the Marx Brothers will like this one.

AJG

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2004 02:43 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went into this one with the attitude that Hey it could have it's moments. I got what I expected. Not really much story to it...about as lame as some of the news reports they did. Jokes wore thin after a while and if the film had been any longer it would have cried for mercy...or I would have. I didn't really like it and I didn't really hate it. I guess that means it gets ** stars out of four from me.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-09-2004 03:20 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad just called me from the auditorium while he was print-checking/watching it and asked that we all say a little prayer that he "will be able to get thru this POS."

Knowing how he has NO taste for art or great comedy, I'm sure I will enjoy seeing it.

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-09-2004 03:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, Aaron and Daryl, you boys liked this super turd of a film? Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island.

The government needs to put out some PSAs for this movie. People have GOT TO KNOW what they are in for!

Out of all the hundreds and hundreds of movies I have seen, this has got to be the worst one of all time! I'm not kidding or trying to be funny. This is the worst film ever.

Ever!

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 07:40 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God I decided to go home and get some sleep instead of watching it! [Cool]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 07:48 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was the extra scene at the end of the credits?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 10:46 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard....

Lame joke...

but I fell for it.

The outtakes were nothing short of stupid as well..

This movie, on reflection, was one of the worst films I think I've ever seen. Ranks right up there with Cat in the Hat, Knock-Off, Pootie Tang, and Freddie Got Fingered (as others mentioned).

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I even wrote that it is a deliberately bad movie. I figured there would be a backlash about it, and it's true that a lot of the jokes don't work, but the movie is just so damn goofy. I figured even people who hate it could find something to laugh about, but I guess not. My boss and I discussed that there would be a big backlash to this movie and that a lot of people would probably walk out before it's over, and I guess that's going to be true. I think it has cult following potential, but I doubt it'll have legs at the box office.

Oh yeah, as for the worst movie of the year, I'll take the dreadful Day After Tomorrow any day of the week.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I hate to say this but I have seen worse films than this one. ENVY comes to mind. I didn't even laugh to that one. I just went into it on the level of it could be another ENVY film and found it better than that. I am not recomending the film to anyone. It was just a middle of the road movie that's why the two stars.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 02:01 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this is a technically horrible movie, but it's got that outwardly "I don't care what over the top means" attitude that makes you laugh til you cry.

Why was Kelly Bundy having sex with Robert Goulet? [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-09-2004 08:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I'm a litttle confused...are you saying you did NOT like this movie? [Wink]

Steve

Tim Arista
Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 12:57 AM      Profile for Tim Arista   Email Tim Arista   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this gets my vote for the most unfunny comedy of the year. Oh wait, none of the comedies this year have been funny. Seriously, the funniest one in the film was the dog. I think that's pretty bad when a dog is funnier than all of the actual comedians in it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: