Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Dodgeball

Author Topic: Dodgeball
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-19-2004 12:51 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went into this one with the feeling that it would probably be another Ben Stiller fluke. But I was really suprised. It was very funny. Definetly don't dodge this one. I give it *** out of 4 stars.

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2004 12:52 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the end of the credits....that Milkshake song that Ben Stiller dances to. I remember something like that online involving a rather obese lady, but I can't find the link...

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2004 01:38 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Milk Shake Song Click ONLY if you dare or if you're name begins with Phil and ends in Hill.

AJG

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2004 07:43 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [puke] [puke] [puke]

I just clicked the link above.

[Eek!] [puke] [puke] [puke]

Definitely not for those with a weak stomach.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-21-2004 04:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it!

Ummm... I mean the movie of course! [Big Grin]

BTW Aaron, why do you keep referring to me in many of your posts? Are you like in love with me or something? [Wink]

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-21-2004 05:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus wept. I thought I could handle a lot of things, but I'm probably going to need some therapy after seeing that huge lady video.
[puke]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
BTW Aaron, why do you keep referring to me in many of your posts? Are you like in love with me or something?
I noticed this as well, and all I can say is that you're an easy target. Don't take it the wrong way sir. Just trying to have some fun here on the forum. Besides, I really don't know anyone else enough on here to poke fun at. As for the fat lady, yikes!! Why do people do such things?

But since this is a thread about the movie Dodgeball, I'll offer a little review on it. I enjoyed it, and lauged at many parts but it's not the funniest film I've ever seen as some people I know have said. Some of the jokes fell flat, while others were just a riot. I do think it's worth seeing for Rip Torn alone. He, along with Christopher Walken, really knows how to play the psycho characters amazingly well. It's worth checking out.

AJG

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-21-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding that video, distant memories of Dice Clay's "hoggin" routine suddenly come to mind... [Big Grin]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-22-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was hilarious!! The clip at the end got old pretty quick.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2004 10:48 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it at Regal Perimeter Pointe. Opening weekend, yet the print had a hairline scratch down the middle for most of the movie.
Very annoying. It took me a half hour to tune it out.

Movie itself was pretty watchable and fun. But not laugh aloud great. A lot of chuckles. Not a must see in the theater though if there is nothing else to watch, you won't regret it one bit. Makes for a pretty good DVD rental.

I don't know if it was just my crowd. But the movie seemed to attract a lot of people who don't watch movies often. There were three, count em, three women in my row alone (not all 3 together)
who were at various points getting so excited by the turn of events in the movie. It's like they didn't expect a certain team to win or overcome a certain obstacle and they would be cheering so visibly, such as raising their hands or clapping. Or they would not see an obvious joke coming and laugh out of surprise. It didn't bother me, but was kind of amusing to notice.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-22-2004 06:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should have tossed that crap at the end onto the cutting room floor and moved the previous fat-Ben bit (where he says "fuckin' Chuck Norris!") to the very end.

Rip Torn and Jason Bateman made this movie watchable. Ben Stiller detracted from it, for the most part. Usually he is funny but not this time. He reminded me of a sleazier version of Jack Warden's Roy L. Fuchs (from "Used Cars").

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2004 12:25 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw this about a week ago and I'd have to say that it's pretty awful. It has a few moments that made me crack a smile, but it wasn't worth an hour and a half of my time and was one of the worst comedies I've seen in some time.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 07-30-2004 03:36 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would have enjoyed Ben Stiller's character alot more if he was fat through the whole film. But as the film goes... I liked it, I'm glad I didn't pay to see it though.

Ryan Luby
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2004 12:50 AM      Profile for Ryan Luby   Email Ryan Luby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked it. It was a lot better than I expected and it made me laugh, which is something I don't do much with movies, generally.
Great one-liners, decent acting. I actually liked Stiller in this one, and he's not always my favorite actor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: