Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Metallica: Some kind of monster

Author Topic: Metallica: Some kind of monster
Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2004 11:06 AM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

I saw this today on a press screening, and I really liked it. Iīve been a fan for a lot of years, and really liked the last album. They played my hometown recently and I hope this movie does really well for us, with all Metallica fans going out to see it.

The movie is a documentary of the last couple (3?) years of Metallica. Their old bass player quits, and to make the new record they bring in a therapist to get them to work out some issues. During all of this vocalist/guitarist James Hetfield goes in to rehab for among other things alcohol and the future of the band is in jeopardy.

Itīs a really good documentary, and even the documentary crew is in it, with regards to making the recovering alcoholic uncomfortable. Itīs got some great footage of their studio work, live and the discussions that goes on. Iīm not sure if you have to be a fan to like it, but it wonīt hurt.

What I reacted to though was that it seemed a weird format, somwhere between 1:1.37 and 1:1.66 I was told, and that a theatre isnīt always the right place for rockīnīroll. Thereīs usually nothing wrong or bad with the sound system (itīs in my regular theatre so I "know"), itīs analogue, but some of the cymbal crashes from the drums, the noise of the crowd and some dialogue (what we audio engineers usually call sibilance) was really annoying, and had me sitting

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-09-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gunnar Johansson
What I reacted to though was that it seemed a weird format, somwhere between 1:1.37 and 1:1.66 I was told...
It was a 1.33:1 image inside of a 1.85:1 frame.

-Aaron

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gunnar Johansson
Thereīs usually nothing wrong or bad with the sound system (itīs in my regular theatre so I "know"), itīs analogue, but some of the cymbal crashes from the drums, the noise of the crowd and some dialogue (what we audio engineers usually call sibilance) was really annoying, and had me sitting

That's an almost textbook description of digitally recorded/manipulated audio that's been run through at some time a cheapo low sampling rate &/or run too many times through the analog-to-digital-to-analog-to-digital-etc. revolving door in production.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-27-2004 03:09 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neadless to say, I also thought the mix sounded really shitty. No punch, just really tinny.

the movie itself was a bit on the long side. 2.5/5

Josh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: