Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Harry Potter: The Prisoner Of Azkaban (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Harry Potter: The Prisoner Of Azkaban
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2004 01:43 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...
Having enjoyed the first two films, I found this to be much more mature. I liked it very much and without giving too much away, Harry's broom sucked anyway. The characters were really good and looked good in muggle clothing. I expect many cheers for when Hermionie punches Malfoy. The film has it;s funny parts and some pretty amazing effects.

If you liked the first two, go see this one!
Very Good Film since I am a fan....4.5/5

I must also say, Emma Watson (Hermionie) looks to be quite the hottie when she grows up.

Search Bait: Harry Potter 3

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-04-2004 02:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the name of her character? Hormonia? Gee that doesn't have any sexual inuendos. J.K. Rowling is obviously a perverted pedophile as evidenced by that character name alone. She will probably share a cell with that guy from The Who.

Actually there was a Saturday Night Live sketch with Lindsey Lohan playing Hormonia's role, and Harry and the gang could not stop staring at her cleavage. Great sketch... just for the visuals.

I have not seen this movie, nor any other (Harry Potter) movies, so I assume I would probably hate it, just 'cuz. [Smile]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2004 05:49 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disliked parts 1&2 very much because I thought them overlong, sloppily written and photographed badly. This one is darker, gets the HP universe together much better and doesn't give me the feeling of a mixture between a overlong trailer and some kind of idiotic showride.
Acting is fine, most effects are good (well, forget the werewolf, but the WW in VAN HELSING is no better...), and the cinematography really shows the beautiful sets and gimmicks that were hardly visible in the other movies.

So I wouldn't pay to see it again, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-04-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Prizoner of Azkaban" is one of my favorite books in the series, so I've been waiting for this one since the beginning. I was pretty satisfied from what I saw. It's interesting to see how much darker this movie is than the others, and how the tone has almost totally changed. It's almost like the movies are maturing along with the characters, which is pretty cool. I hope they stay on track and are able to make a few more with Daniel, Rupert & Emma, and I also hope all the rest of the adults stick around too. Michale Gambon did a well enough job as Dumbledore I thought. I wasn't as bothered by him as some rabid fans are.

One thing that did bother me about this movie that also bothered me about The Chamber of Secrets, is that for some reason there are points in the action where (I feel) the music should get loud and triumphant, and for some reason it just sort of fades a little bit softer. Very annoying!

Edit: I just watched this one again, and I'm not sure what I heard that made me think this one had the same music volume dropping problem as COS, so I'll say I was wrong on that. Someone must have been fiddling with the volume knob or something when I saw this the first time.

I like this movie. 4.5 out of 5.

[ 06-06-2004, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Mark J. Marshall ]

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or did John Williams theme whenever someone was riding Buckbeak sound alot like one of Yoda's themes in The Empire Strikes Back?

One thing that I really liked that has annoyed others is that it leaves the identity of the creators of the Maurader's Map a secret. Based on one of the later scenes though, I think some viewers may figure it out without needing to read the books.

Without giving it away, I will say that someone knows at least one secret of the map without being told about it.

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody else notice a continuity error about a third of the way into the movie? In the scene when the kids are going up the stairs to where they have to say the password to the fat lady in the painting to open the door but the painting is slashed and the lady is gone, it seems that the door can't be opened without the lady. The scene shows the door with all the people in front of it, then it zooms out to show the headmaster's assistant saying "there's no need for ghosts, the fat lady's there" and points up at another painting, then the scene cuts back to the original shot of the door with everybody starting to run up the stairs, yet the door is wide open. Earlier in the movie, they show the door swing open to the right, yet now when the door is open, you can see the inside of the hallway, so the door's not really open, it's gone.

[ 06-06-2004, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Rob Butler ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not being a huge Potter fanatic, I thought the first two were ok. Good, not great, kinda long. That being said this one is definitely the best of the three. I give that rating based upon content, acting, directing and also a MUCH better sound mix and photography.

If you liked the first two, you will definitely like this one.

(Off topic - Rob your signature "Don't complicate things by making them simpler." is great!)

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2004 12:30 AM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
(Off topic - Rob your signature "Don't complicate things by making them simpler." is great!)
Thanks, I came up with that one day while discussing the setup for an automation system. It's also something I wish the Microsoft programmers could have heard while designing Windows XP.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-06-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
06 June 2004, 1:10PM, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, House #3, some kind of digital sound (SDDS?). Attendance around 300. Presentation quality for the feature was excellent - Bright, sharply-focused, and steady image; xlnt sound. I didn't notice a single lab splice or digital sound dropout. Saw some CAP code in reel 2 but not all that obtrusive. Liked the "bleach process" look and deep blacks (this is gonna look bad on dim screens).

I enjoyed this more that the first two. Darker, more brooding. Some very creative camera work. The kids are growing up fast - What are they gonna do for the next movie?

Overall I give it 3 1/4 stars out of 4. Wish I could see it in IMAX-DMR without driving 200 miles. [Frown]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it at AMC Barret Parkway 24. Their best theater in atlanta, yet it inexplicably gets very few of the marquee bookings over the last year. I don't know why. Did someone at this place seriously piss someone off?
Projection was pretty good. The bulb was thankfully not dim for a picture of muted colors.

Emma Watson and the guy who act as the buddy have been good all series long. Daniel Radcliffe comes into his own in this movie. He does not look out of place. I thought HP1 was decent, HP2 was dull in the second half and this one to be good.

Richard Greco, stay away from Emma. I don't know if she will be a hottie or not, but it is nice to see a kid act like a kid and not some teen Lolita like some of the other teen starlets(remember Eggert who always looked bratty in her sitcoms).
I like the fact that Harry Potter is the third wheel in the trifecta of Harry, hermione and Ron. I doubt your typical Disney flick would have the scene where Hermione seeks comfort in Ron, and then Harry is the one who seeks comfort in Hermione and everyone knows who the couple is in this.

I dont know why it took so long to get Cuaron on board. He was a no brainer after his great work with Little Princess.

Nice to see Gary Oldman not overact in every scene. He hammed it up only when it was needed , such as the poster scene which i thought was great.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2004 11:54 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pravin, I'm not even going there....She is WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too young. I just made a casual observation.

I love to catch this every so often from the booth. Every scene just seems to fall into place. Can someone tell me why, though, that Harry did "expeliamus", on Snape in the Shreiking Shack? I'm not really sure why.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-07-2004 09:15 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
* * * SPOILER! * * *

Moments before, Harry was learning about what really happened to his parents and who betrayed whom when Snape interrupted. I think he was just trying to disarm Snape so he could regain the upper hand and get the conversation back on track. I don't think he meant to hit him quite that hard though. I think that was an accident.

That's how I took it anyway.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-07-2004 07:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie displays its title more than any other film I've seen.

It's a couple of minutes into the film
It's at the beginning of the credits
It comes up again during the credit roll
It shows up again at the very END of the credits.

WTF?

Haven't seen it all the way through yet so can't comment otherwise.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2004 09:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That would answer why the end credit roll was 12 minutes long! [Mad]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this earlier tonight at the Madison Square 12 here in Huntsville. There were no presentation defects that I noticed.

This movie definitely "felt" differently than the others. The young main characters seemed more "dark" and arrogant, although they were played by the same people as before. The cinematography was somewhat different as well. Many scenes had an contrasty, overexposed look in the bright areas of the picture, while others didn't. Some scenes had a very soft, out-of-focus look to them, while others didn't. It looked like it was done in super35 with 8-sided irises in the cameras.

I liked the movie, but I'm not sure I liked it as much as I did the first two. They're hard to compare.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: