Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Day After Tomorrow (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Day After Tomorrow
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-26-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't I just sit in the theater and enjoy watching New York city and Los Angeles get demolished without having the leftist propoganda shoved down my throat? Please? Ugh. [puke]

The special effects were cool, but they were nothing new honestly. If you've seen all the trailers for this movie, you've seen all the effects. So if you're only watching to see the effects, just splice all the trailers together and watch that instead. You'll save quite a bit of time.

With all that's going on in the world right now, I don't think many are going to want to deal with the message of this movie. I predict an above average opening at best, and then a quick drop off. We'll see.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2004 12:12 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mark. I thought the effects were really awesome. I found the politics to be very leftist. This film will be to much on the science end for people. I thought that it was well acted though and I found the science to be very interesting.

This is good, but not great.

5/5 for effects

pi for everything else

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-28-2004 01:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst. Dialogue. Ever.

Imagine a cross between Deep Impact, Battlefield Earth, Independence Day, Godzilla (the 1998 version), Armageddon, and a bunch of other marginal films. Imagine the same with better CGI and worse dialogue/acting/direction/editing. That pretty much sums this one up.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-28-2004 02:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the above reviews, but I can sum this one up even better.

It's CRAPTACULAR!!!

The director and producers need to be frozen so they don't make any more of this crap.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-28-2004 04:46 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it. Yes, bad dialogue... But the effects were just cool.

4.5/5

[ 05-28-2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Jennifer Pan ]

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2004 10:19 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it was cool seeing LA get nailed.

Some of the other things that happened just couldn't.
[Possible Spoilers]
How can a supertanker fit down a city street, must less a NY One.
What happened to this same tanker when the rescue happened? (It just disappeared)
How could a little fire in the fireplace and stovetops keep people from freezing. The supercold air was freezing anything it touched.

It just dragged on once the disasters happened.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm surprised to hear that the "message" is considered to be leftist. Usually, German film directors become 200% American patriots when they work in the USA, Roland Emmerich did it with INDEPENDENCE DAY and THE PATRIOT, Wolfgang Petersen with AIR FORCE ONE... [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess he's spent too much time in Hollywood.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know who thawed Rolland Emmerich out in the first place. It has been ages since I saw his name on screen.

The visuals looked pretty good but as mentioned above we have seen it all before. But I guess with these types of films that becomes the case. I like Dennis Quaid and I thought he did good with what he had to work with. I was hoping this film would have some of the feel that Deep Impact had with telling the story around the effects. But a lot was lost with pointles discussions and luke warm character development.

I give this one ** stars out of 4

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film is just OKAY.

Sam Johnson II
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Sam Johnson II   Email Sam Johnson II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like I'm the only one on this website who actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit...

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-30-2004 12:04 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
29 May 2004, 7:10PM, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, House #3, some kind of digital sound. Attendance around 150. Excellent presentation. No complaints except too many ads.

Brad nailed it: IT'S CRAPTACULAR!!! The screenplay is ludicrous and at times unintentionally funny. The audience was snickering in the wrong places. On the other hand, the special effects are pretty amazing sometimes, definitely top notch. Dennis Quaid still looks a little constipated (a la The Alamo).

Worth it only for the CGI work, which is mostly Grade A. Everything else belongs in the reject pile.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2004 12:30 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Day After Tomorrow is no science movie. But it never needed to be one. There are other places to learn about Sciences.

TDAT has little emotional punch. For that, the film-makers must have expected moviegoers will seek out other films.

TDAT has spectacular special effects. The film-makers sought to dazzle audiences who were willing to suspend their disbelief for a while. On this, I think they have been tremendously successful.

TDAT never wanted to be a certain type of film. I am surprised so many reviewers assumed it should have been of a certain type, discovered it was not and panned it for that lapse.

But in areas where it set out to be what it is, I am thoroughly surprised and both delighted to say, it is one hell of a superior 'disaster' movie. The movie has so many flaws but the true hero of this film, the special effects, seem to have fewer still.

The really good thing about the pace of this film is that it leaves little room for thinking about the holes in it if you ordinarily wish to not focus on the flaws.

The opening credit shots are well taken and put the mood for what to expect next.

The quick shot outside the Mexican Embassy that shows desperate foreigners flasing their Passports with 100 dollar bills stacked inside their Passports threw the entire theatre I was watching this film into a cloud of laughter.

The concluding shot of the President making that apology and affirming the will to start all over again is however, very impactful. So is the final shot of the beautiful ice-cover over the northern hemisphere.

In all, this movie far exceeds my expectations and I was not at all surprised to see so many people around me unhesitant to say they enjoyed this film.

Good for a 'blockbuster' type.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2004 01:00 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
United Artists METRO, SF. Saturday 5/29 1pm. 1/4 full.

I thought the sound level was a little too low. During the action sequences, the sound was great, but the rest of the movie I was having a hard time hearing it and focusing my attention to it... Anybody else notice this, or is it my older age or the crappy theatre?

WOW! I REALLY ENJOYED THIS. Everybody is talking about all of the 'leftist' politics in the movie, but I really didn't notice anything like that 'thrown down my throat'?? I enjoyed the efx and the disaster scenes. I loved the REAL CHARACTERS and REAL LIFE they brought to the film. None of the characters seemed fake to me. I enjoyed the homeless guy's contributions. Very real and human touches. Although I enjoyed this thoroughly, I thought the ending was kind of weak. Or maybe I was just having trouble hearing it? Or the dude in front of me who kept shaking is cup of ice eating it was bugging the hell out of me. People can be so inconsiderate....

I might check this out again at another theatre...

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-30-2004 02:49 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Hooper
Everybody is talking about all of the 'leftist' politics in the movie, but I really didn't notice anything like that 'thrown down my throat'??
Really?? Oh, wait...

Eric Hooper

Nevermind.

[Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: