Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Shrek 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shrek 2
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-18-2004 02:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this one better than the first. Granted I didn't think the first was the funniest thing I had ever seen (Shrek can't compare to Pixar's product), but if you liked the first one it's safe to say you will enjoy this one.

I have one negative thing to say about this movie. There is a song by "Eels" called "I need some sleep" in the movie that was recorded with bad distortion intentionally!!! Stupid fuckers. I ran a special show tonight in 7 auditoriums and got complaints from everyone panicking that the speakers had been blown. DISTORTION IS NOT AN EFFECT THAT SHOULD EVER BE USED WHEN MIXING MUSIC THAT ISN'T HARD METAL-TYPE ROCK! You'll know what I mean when you hear it. It's even on the soundtrack all nice and distorted. Morons, morons, morons.

Needless to say, the cat steals the show. There should have been a lot more screen time dedicated to him. Antonio Banderas is hilarious. [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 05:15 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one was way funny.

I did hear the song Brad, it is a stupid way to add effect. I do agree that the cat was hilarious, but SPOILERS AHEAD

I thought Donkey and the other characters were hilarious when they got Shrek, Donkey, and Puss out of the Dungeon.

Make sure you stay till the end of the ANIMATED credits. There is an extra scene that is absolutely hilarious!!! It is right before the white on black credits.

4/5

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-18-2004 05:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah! Who are you and what have you done with "Brad Miller." He almost never likes any current releases!

[Eek!]

I bet that Phil hates this one, though.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 02:16 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To quote Phil
quote:
I liked it!
AJG

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2004 11:09 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this last night at Regal River Oaks 8 in Decatur and really liked it. The presentation was perfect, showing off how great this movie really looked. There are a lot of details in the background and references I want to check out later. I know most people will have an opinion of which was better, the first one or the second one, but I prefer not to think about that and just enjoy them both.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-23-2004 05:36 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Woah! Who are you and what have you done with "Brad Miller." He almost never likes any current releases!

You see, Brad has a sensitive side too. I always knew it.

Nicole Halper
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Nicole Halper   Author's Homepage   Email Nicole Halper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting thing about this one as opposed to the first, is a lot of the humor in the first came from the fairy tale spoofs, while the second included those as well as spoofs of other movies. (the wedding band... love potion number nine... etc)

Anyway- I thought the movie was excellent and clearly a good move on the part of Dream Works judging by the crowds!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that eels music (they are one of those non-capitalized bands) sounds that way all the time, on purpose. Artistic license, you know. I've always thought the Beatles' "Revolution" sounded stupid with all that distortion, but who's to argue with an artist?

I agree the cat should have had more time. Maybe they are saving him for his own movie.

The placement of that extra scene is brilliant. It's just far enough into the credits that all the idiots in the audience (who are too stupid to notice that the LIGHTS AREN'T ON YET) have beaten down the doors to be first out of the parking lot...and then the next day, their friends will tell them about the hilarious scene they missed, leading to repeat business. I love it!

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-26-2004 02:48 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is in many ways funnier than the first. However, between the two I prefer the first because it has more heart and is a better story.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 04:27 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I am the only one who thinks this movie was terrible. Everything that Mike Meyers gets involved with just turns into a variation of Austin Powers. I like Austin Powers, just make another one.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-31-2004 01:01 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Shrek 2 was a lot of fun, but I didn't like it as much as the first one.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie for the second time this past Friday night, and here's an important note: It held up well on the second viewing. Like the first one, I enjoyed this one as much the second time as I did the first, noticing a lot of little details I missed before.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2004 09:27 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not like this movie. I would consider it average, at best.

It felt like a committee put this together. I did not feel any sense of continuity. "Gag, gag, song, visual gag, verbal gag, pop reference, another song, etc, etc."

There were some very funny moments, but many of them fell flat for me. The performances seemed to me to be very detached from their characters, as if they were often just reading lines. It sounded to me as if the voice actors just read their parts separately and there was no attempt to make it sound like they were working together.

I found the animation a bit annoying. Sure, it was technically superior, but the facial movements didn't quite match the dialog, and there was just a bit too much movement by the characters. I think it was an attempt to show subtle movements, but it just didn't work for me and I found it distracting.

It sure has made a boatload of money in its first two weeks, but I think Harry Potter will come out on top this weekend, as most of the teenagers have already seen Shrek.

Pixar still has a much better understanding of story and character. I greatly look forward to THE INCREDIBLES.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-03-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Caught this at the Century Suncoast. Typical projection problems for this location: started out of frame, then got quickly racked in but not fully. The entire show ran framed too low--lots of head room with the occasional subtitles half down into the bottom mask. I think it's hilarious when a THX theater snipe gets shown out of frame. [Big Grin]

I enjoyed this picture. Never got around to seeing the first one, but the consensus seems to be that the first one is a bit better. Guess I'll have to snag the DVD to see.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-04-2004 11:15 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm, I'll probably never see any of these pictures because the characters are visually unappealing (no comments from the gallery, Redifer!). Markedly so. Nothing makes me want to watch them, or care what happens to them.

I'm sure they're really lovable when you get to know them, but on the surface, they can't get me into the theatre.

[Shrug]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: