Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Fahrenheit 9/11 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fahrenheit 9/11
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-17-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: I hope that a Cannes showing counts as 'after the trade screening' as mentioned in your guidelines. Please feel free to delete the post if you feel it doesn't.

quote:
Controversial documentary-maker Michael Moore's intensely political new film, Fahrenheit 9/11, was screened for the world's media at the Cannes Film Festival on Monday. Disney has refused to release this film, other distributors also seem reluctant and - if Moore is to be believed - the White House wants to stop it being seen.

The reason is if viewers take the film at face value, they will think George Bush is a fraudulent and possibly corrupt president who went to war in Iraq because of a half-baked motivation of grudge, greed and thirst for power.

But this is a Michael Moore film and, while that does not mean he is wrong, it must be watched with a critical eye.

Moore wants Bush removed from office.

He is determined to have this film released before the US presidential election in November for that very reason.

The film's conclusions are reached through a mixture of firm evidence, interesting information, moving scenes and tenuous theories. Starting with the presidential election in 2000, it firmly plants the idea that Bush's election - thanks to just 537 votes in Florida - was not exactly free and fair.

The first conspiratorial link comes when he identifies the Fox News Channel employee who took the decision to report that Bush had won Florida on election night - when all other channels were reporting an Al Gore win - as Bush's first cousin. If true, it is an interesting piece of trivia - but hardly proof of a family plot to steal the presidency.

He introduces 11 September with a blank screen and chilling audio of planes hitting the Twin Towers and the cries of those on the ground. Moore also has footage of Bush sitting in a school classroom, reading a children's book with pupils, for more than 10 minutes after being told the second plane had hit. The film-maker said this full footage had not been seen before because no-one had asked the teachers at the school whether they had captured it on camcorder.

One of Moore's chief accusations is Bush allowed planes to pick up 24 members of the Bin Laden family and fly them out of the US in the days following the attacks - when all other aircraft were grounded. To back this up, he shows a document that seems to list them - and uses it as a base from which to explore the relationships between the Bush and Bin Laden dynasties.

They go back to Bush's military days, Moore says - and produces military records apparently showing the future president was in the Texas Air National Guard with a man who it says went on to sell a plane to one of Osama Bin Laden's brothers. When Bush was trying to make his way as a Texan oil magnate, this same man was hired by the Bin Ladens to invest their money in Texas, and he in turn invested money in Bush's company, the film says.

Moore asserts that prominent Saudis invested in Bush's ailing companies to get access to his father, the former US president. But aside from the original military records, there is little proof to firm up links Moore goes on to make. The result is the oil and arms companies the Saudis invested in, and the Bush family and their inner circle have interests in, profited from the aftermath of 11 September, Moore says.

Moore won an Oscar for his last film, Bowling for Columbine. Using a clip of former US head of counter-terrorism Richard Clarke talking about how Bush immediately wanted to find an Iraq link to the attacks, the film moves on to Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Afghanistan section - including a screen shot of a BBC News Online story - is a claim that the military action in Afghanistan was really about laying a natural gas pipeline across the country. But the Iraq section is more substantial, and changes the film's direction - using interviews with US soldiers, footage of civilian suffering and highly moving testimony from bereaved parents of US servicemen.

The film shows graphic footage of corpses of US soldiers being burnt, dragged behind a truck and strung up, and a scene of US soldiers apparently mistreating Iraqi prisoners.

All the while, persuasive army recruiters are followed as they try to sign up young people in Moore's deprived hometown of Flint, Michigan. So Moore went to Washington to try to persuade Congressmen to send their children to Iraq - the son of only one Congressman is in service there, Moore says.

Moore himself appears less in this film than he has in his previous documentaries, leaving most of the talking to politicians, soldiers, parents, experts and assorted real Americans.

There is highly selective editing, but the story is not totally one-sided. For example, there are soldiers in Iraq who believe in their mission, as well as those who say they are disillusioned. But the movie's conclusions - true or otherwise - and highly emotional interviews with bereaved parents and injured soldiers will have a big impact on audiences around the world.

URL of review.

From this it sounds like a similar pattern of strengths and weaknesses to that of Columbine - an important underlying issue, and to a certain extent you can sympathise with his agenda. But he crosses the line from at least attempting to maintain some sort of balance into out-and-out rant territory just too far for you to buy it, in the last instance.

Still, if he manages to find a British distributor, I'll be interested to see it.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-17-2004 05:18 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film is very similar to Roger and Me and Bowling for Columbine in it's style and editing. It has its strengths and weaknesses, but found it very interesting.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-05-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always found Mr. Moore's work highly entertaining and very interesting. I look forward to the release of this picture here in the states. It should have an interesting intertwinging of fact and fiction.

CIao

Dave

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 12:36 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is what one would call... a crockumentary. Michael Moore should be deported.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-05-2004 02:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen this film, Richard? If not, then please don't be posting opinions here. Dave's post was at least somewhat on topic.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-05-2004 12:32 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deported? For speaking his opinion? Not in a USA that I would want to live in!

But yes, this Michael Moore film should be fun to see. And see it I will, as I do not allow anyone to dictate to me what I can see, listen to, or read. I'm sure I'll get a couple of chuckles out of this film.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 04:40 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It had its momets of humor and moments ot horror, so a typical Moore film.

I was a little bored during the last half. Having read all Moore's books and following the news pretty close, this movie didn't present anything new items to me.

Was nice that Moore wasn't really in the film.

I liked Bowling for Columbine more but this one has its moments.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-24-2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to a preview screening... And it did have it's moments...

The last third was the most moving, but overall, I can see where this film can encourage hatred on any political level, on either side.

But for me, none of this was news. I have been following this very closely, and as a news and history buff, I know all of the facts presented. It was more entertaining to see how the film was pieced together.

Those that hate bush will hate him just the same, those that love bush will never even see the movie, and those that are on the fence, well they are just idiots for having NO opinion of thier own and letting ANYONE give it to them.

This film will have as much political impact as myself running for president. I will get one vote and it will be mine, because I am a narcisist. It would have had better impact if it had been released, say... october 9th?

This is the summer when those that are not political junkies are out having fun, not paying attention to this stuff. They don't care for now, and by the time they do care, it will all be over anyway.

The timing of this film is to sell tickets, plain and simple. And sell them it will! I recommend the film to all. It has much humor, and most of it is from President Bush! He actually is a pretty humourous guy, even when he isn't trying to be, and sometimes he just comes off like a dork, but a funny dork. I like the guy, but he is funny. I like moore, he is also funny, but the first half of the film he spends too much time trying to paint a picture that the last half does it all by itself.

So yeah, its good, go see it. But take it for what it is, forget the fact that moore wants to dethrone bush, so what. I saw Along Came Polly and I didn't bitch about that piece of crap robbing me blind now did i?

Ok, I am done eulagizing.

CIao

Dave [fu]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2004 06:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave: The video (with extra footage) will probably be released in October.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-25-2004 02:29 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but by then no one will care. The detractors to the film will have hacked it to death and all Moore will have is him whining about "those who don't want you to see it", and it will be old and tired.

I personally cannot wait for the "video" version of this "video". I tend to get much more fun than going to movie theaters these days anyway.

Ciao

Dave

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 03:12 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only did I refuse to see it, I refused to build it. My assistant tried watching some of it, but only got annoyed and ticked off by it (as I knew I would). It was the usual work of fiction like columbine was. Speaking of which, I heard he got sued after making it look like he went in and purchased a gun in one day, when it actually took him something like 2 months to get the gun. I expect this movie bends into fantasy like that too...

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 03:20 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My assistant who watched it - fell asleep at some point in the last reel....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-25-2004 03:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Your theater lets you choose which prints you build based on whether you like the movie or not? What a liberal theater! [Razz]

Hell, if I could do that, no movies would ever get built due to the fact that most movies suck (assuming I still worked at a movie theater). But no. Instead I'd do my job and not let political nonsense get in the way. I'd get fired if I refused to do my job.

I'll hopefully see this movie this weekend.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 04:40 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe
Didn't you notice, he's from Texass.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-25-2004 09:25 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any truth to the rumor that this morning the White House and Ashcroft's Justice Department are sending Federal Agents (read Stormtroopers) to every theatre playing 9/11 to confiscate all the prints and then run them thru the band saw? Has something to do with the "Patriot Act" (sic)....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: