Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Troy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Troy
David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2004 03:55 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horse, wooden.
Diane Kruger, wooden
Pitt, wooden.
Bloom couldn't be any more of a big girls blouse. In fact he came off looking pittiful.
Aggamemnon was on fire. Don't mess with this dude.
O'Toole was O.K. (1-1 sentimental odds for best supporting actor though)
Visually adequate, had me thinking of LOTR in the battle scenes.
Sound quality varied from reel to reel, 1/3 error rate 7, balance 1 or 2.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-13-2004 06:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not great, not bad. This movie has it's ups and downs. Some of the acting is good, much of it is overdone. Some of the sound mix is good, other parts have bad looping and poor choices for ambience tracks (such as the scene where hundreds of troops are running up a hill to attack, yet we hear the sound of carefully coordinated and synchronized "marching" footsteps). Lots of the dialogue was overly corny. Yet the movie managed to keep my attention for over 2 1/2 hours. Hmmmmmmmmm, not sure how many stars I should give this one.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Audiences here in Germany get an added alienation effect:
Director Petersen asked to have Brad Pitt dubbed with the German voice usually reserved for Nicolas Cage - quite disturbing! [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-13-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange decision, the German dubbing voice for Nicholas Cage doesn`t sound anything like Brad Pitt`s voice. Maybe Wolfgang wants to show audiences in Germany how absurd it is to watch dubbed movies in the first place! I always hated that so much, and I could never watch a lot of movies in the cinema unless they happened to play in the original version somewhere.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2004 07:09 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too bad.

Too many shirtless guys for me.

We had fun screening it MST3K style. I thought it was a little long but it was watchable for 3 hrs. It really held my interest. I liked it.

3/5

They needed to show more womens butts and boobs [Smile]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 12:21 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found it rather BLAH. Could have been good, better, something...

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-17-2004 03:41 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like long epic movies (except for "Postman") and I rather enjoyed this too. The fight scenes were done very well. These warriors must have had an elegant fighting style like East Asian martial arts experts, and they did a very good job at inventing this style based on poses depicted on vases and in scultptures. They also took a lot of care with the costumes. The purist might find that they look too modern - for the Greeks of the classical period the tale of Troy was already centuries old legends. The warriors` armor wouldn`t have looked like this. But this is a romanticized idea of the era anyway.
In the legend, Agamemnon returns home to be killed by his wife and her lover. Apart from that, the script did a very nice job at compressing many elements of the story into the movie.

I waited for the moment (though in vain) when Orlando Bloom and Sean Bean run into each other: "Boromir? - Legolas? - What are you doing here? - I thought you were dead."

What sucked enormously though was the music. It lies in the nature of film music that composers borrow from, quote and modify various sources. The lame imitation of Prokofiev`s "Alexander Nevsky" can be excused - after all Petersen also quotes Eisenstein image of the masses of enemies slowly appearing at the horizon. But I have rarely heard a soundtrack which steals so much music unashamedly note for note from uncredited sources. Horner helps himself to huge chunks of Vaughan Williams and Shostakovich. While a lot of film fans may not necessarily be familiar with the latter, I find his stealing from VW all the more bold since many heard his music recently in "Master and Commander". Both composers are still protected by copyright. I hope somone sues Horner.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-17-2004 04:33 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was OK. I agree that the music wasn't so hot and the dialogue was cheesy, but the battle scenes were mostly decent. This could have been much, much better.

There was a really bad timing error between, I think, R4 and R5, at least in the print that I saw.

Worth seeing, but probably won't be remembered in twenty years.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 04:11 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I still prefer Robert Wise's 1956 film, "HELEN OF TROY", the current "TROY" is a rather good film and I enjoyed it very much. I do not know why David and others reported people laughing at some scenes in the movie because no one at the almost sold out showing in one of the large auditoriums at the Dole Cannery thought any of the scenes were funny at all when I saw it yesterday afternoon. Although Roger Ebert panned the film, I think Newsweek magazine gave it a favorable review as well as USA Today. Most of USA reviews for mainstream films are very negative but the paper gave "TROY" three stars and that is saying a lot . Because I enjoyed the film, I am already looking forward to the DVD that will feature the movie and how it was made. By the way, I also enjoyed the music when I saw the film as well the film's soundtrack CD which I listened in my car all day today.

-Claude

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 10:16 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I do not know why David and others reported people laughing at some scenes in the movie
Maybe because David and others actually talked to or witnessed audience members who laughed at some scenes in the movie?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 02:56 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disliked:

Dialogue
Script
Lack of Historical accuracy
Acress's voice who played Helen
Scottish accent for the general who led Troy's army
Paris' "California" accent

Liked:

Set design Troy looked amazing
action sequences
fight scenes
sailing scenes although they were moving a bit fast.
Portrayals of relationships
Brad's new muscles

Fun Facts:

Achilles
- son of a mortal man Peleus and Thetis. Son Neoptolemus to Deidamia. Son Neoptolemus to Scyros.
- Achilles actually had a gay lover called Patroclus. Fell in love with a Queen of the Amazons, Penthesilea, after seeing her face when he killed her at Troy.
-and considered the greatest warrior of them all. His mother dipped him in the River Styx to make him invulnerable, the only part not touched by the water were his ankles. Paris shot him in the ankle with a poisoned arrow during the Trojan war.

Helen
- hatched from an egg from mother Leda and father Zeus.
- because of Aphrodite she was kidnapped by Paris and taken to Troy which started the Trojan War. She was rescued 10 years later by her husband Menelaus, before the war they had a daughter Hermione. Hermione marries Neoptolemus and then later Orestes.
- During the war she marries Paris and when Paris is killed she marries his brother Deiphobus.

Neoptolemus
- son of Achilles and Scyros. Killed Priam on the altar of Zeus during the Trojan War.

Paris
- a Trojan prince that kidnapped Helen, took her to Troy and started the war. He was killed by Philoctetes.
- he was the oldest of 19 children and his parents were Hecuba and Priam.

Philoctetes
- one of the Greek leaders in the Trojan War who killed Paris but had to be left behind on the island of Lemnos suffering from a snake bite. Ulysses heard that Troy could not be taken without him went to fetch him with Diomedes and the divine intervention of Hercules.

Troy
- Founded by its first king Teucer. The Trojan War between the Greeks and the people of Troy lasted 10 years. In the movie it looked like the war lasted 2-weeks.
- the war began when the Trojan prince Paris accepted Aphrodite's offer to give him the most beautiful woman in the world. The woman Aphrodite chose was Helen, the daughter of Zeus and the Spartan princess Leda. Paris then kidnapped Helen and took her to Troy which was how the war started. Ulysses, Achilles, Hera and Athena supported the Greeks, who situated themselves just outside the walls of Troy. Apollo and Aphrodite were on the side of the Trojans (as was Xena, who was a friend of Helen's). After years of fighting Ulysses built the Trojan horse which got the Greeks into Troy, Helen was then rescued by Menelaus and taken back to Sparta.

Ulysses/Odysseus
- parents Anticlea and Sisyphius, step father Laertes. He was a lover to Calypso.
- after the Trojan War he tried to make his way home to the island Ithaca but Poseidon kept intervening because Ulysses blinded his son Polyphemus. He made many stops on his way home but eventually got there with the help of Athena.
- he went back to his wife Penelope, whose father is Icarius, and their son Telemachus. He proved he was Ulysses to Penelope by bending his great bow. He also had another son Telegonus to lover Circe.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-18-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- he was the oldest of 19 children and his parents were Hecuba and Priam.
19 children! She should have been called Incuba instead of Hecuba.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 03:33 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't tell me only the GUYS were topless back then...? Where were all the topless women? Come on! [Razz]

Nicole Halper
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 06:25 PM      Profile for Nicole Halper   Author's Homepage   Email Nicole Halper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the movie needs a girl's opinion----
Though - I do mainly agree with what was stated previously.
The movie was well, mediocre. The story was missing quite a bit from the actual tale.
My two biggest complaints:
So the movie took place over like...15 days...and not 10 yrs.
And did anyone else notice the prevailing British accents--in Greece??!?
It was very well done however-- great technical job, and overall entertaining. Not the best - but good.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-18-2004 06:34 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you have preferred to watch this movie in ancient Greek (following Gibson`s example)?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: