Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Intermission

Author Topic: Intermission
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Kew Gardens Cinema, Screen 2 on April 25,'04 at 4:50 PM
1 hr 46 min + 14 min trailers. Rated R

I got off to a bad start at this Irish black comedy when the trailers came on with ear-splitting volume and the image was out of frame vertically and horizontally. On my second trip to the lobby the manager told me "Its only the trailers," but called the projectionist when I persisted. By the time I returned to my seat the feature had started, and soon the projectionist raised the image but left uncorrected the fuzzy image right.

I thought I was in the wrong auditorium, for the action was
brutal violence, the language a constant stream of "fookin's"
and the screen a succession of extreme facial closeups, rapidly panned, like amateur TV camerawork.

A number of ugly, mentally and verbally challenged characters of various levels of criminality, sexual starvation and sadism made me wonder if my desire to visit Dublin for the 100th anniversary of Bloomsday this June 16th was really a good idea. There's an explosive detective, a couple of thieves, philandering husbands, abused wives, single women and men on the make, and a sadistic employer and a barroom bully in a wheelchair.

I was not amused.

But as the story developed, the dark comedy intensified as the various sexual (and love) encounters intertwined, and even a bumbling attempt of two characters to become "producers" added interest. Amid the ugly faces, some few of beauty stood out,
and the brutality gave way to some moments of tenderness.

As in the comedies of Shakespeare (whose 440th birthday was
April 23rd), everything is solved at the end.

I think this film might appeal to a younger, broad-minded crowd with a tolerance for broad, physical, sexual and scatological humor.

Directed by John Crowley, with Colin Farrell, Shirley Henderson, Kelly Macdonald, Colm Meaney and Cillian Murphy.
Written by Mark O'Rowe.

Gerard

|  IP: Logged

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 04:54 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film lasted exactly one week at our theatre about a month ago.
Obviously not recieved well here, despite some favorable reviews.
Not sure if it was no money for promotion or just bad worth of mouth.
Personal opinion, what a crappy title.....INTERMISSION???????
Where does that comes from?

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 10:40 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The *one* trailer (Troy) that was shown before Intermission at the theatre I chose (Century Cinearts Theatres) was also ear splitting! I just assumed it was that *Century blow you through the back wall of the theatre Experience*.

A couple got up and left during the first scene when Colin punches the counter clerk girl and robs her. The blasting loud trailer and then the shaky camera work and violence must have been too much for them.

As the movie did go on, it became very clever and interesting. I've heard the critics say "it's Trainspotting meets Love Actually." And in a way it kind of was. I loved the relationship studies and the way all the events connected at the end. Great acting and writing. I was really pleased with the movie and give it 4/5 stars. Recommended!!

Derek Miner
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 02:21 AM      Profile for Derek Miner   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Miner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The title came from a line in the film. A character referred to a period in his life as an "intermission." Very fitting, I thought. Liked the movie much better than I thought I would. Of coruse, it would have been better if the theater I saw it in wasn't ignoring framing and focus...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: