Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Connie and Carla

Author Topic: Connie and Carla
Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2004 05:40 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me this was a better film than "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Nia Vardalos really has a great screen presence. Toni Collette is also good. She has quite an acting range. I'm always expecting her to be in her depressing, moody type persona. Here she is just the opposite.

Lots of songs from famous Broadway musicals, most or all never sung to the end. If they were smart, they would have made a CD of all the songs sung in their entirety.

It's a question if this movie can do as well as MBFGW. The audience for that was probably the older crowd that never gets out to movies and more in the "conservative" vein. It was word of mouth that got people in the theaters for MBFGW.

Here, this movie is about cross dressing and gender identity. I don't see this movie being able to succeed with the same audience and the same word of mouth. It's going to be interesting.

The audience I saw it with liked it alot. Lots of laughs. I'd give it a [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 10:49 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the movie was fun and entertaining until the end. I thought the end was a total sell out to the straight crowd. The movie deals with the issues cross-gender people deal with, but it never quite resolves them fully. The end of the movie was suddenly about the David Duchovny finding out Vardalos was an actual woman and how that's better than anything else that was touched on in the movie and how 'that's the right way to end things' - all straight and innocent. I kind of felt ripped off.

Perhaps I wanted too much out of the end. Otherwise, the movie was great fun. Well written jokes and lots of laugh out loud moments. The subject matter and guys kissing and all may be too much for the mainstream audiences, and unfortunately this will keep the BO receipts low for this movie. 3/5 Stars.

PS: I saw this at Carl Martin's excellent theatre in Berkeley. Great picture and sound! Good job Carl. [thumbsup]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 03:57 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, thank you, eric!

as for the film, i enjoyed it. you have to use the brainkeeper on your way in, but there are some good physical performances and the leads are charismatic. i liked it a lot more than greek wedding (way overhyped) but this one isn't doing any business at all, so i expect it'll be gone next week.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: