Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Alamo

Author Topic: The Alamo
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-09-2004 02:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
blah

This should've been so much better.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 03:08 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Decent flick. I don't know much about the real story of the Alamo, and I felt the film needed to explain that more. I felt left out of something that seemed really big, but I guess I'll have to find a history book. I heard rumors there was an hour cut from this film, so that might help to explain the missing pieces. I did, however, LOVE the sound mix. Canons are just too cool. Anyone else think Santa Anna seemed to be a really sleezy, creepy guy in this movie?

AJG

Renato Menichini
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 05:23 AM      Profile for Renato Menichini   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hallo

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-09-2004 06:28 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad. Good, but not as good as it could/should have been. I think the actors were all very good at their parts.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-09-2004 04:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on! Jeremy and Brad, you are from Texas. You HAVE to like it! Yeeeeee haaaaaawww!

Anyway I agree with Renato's interesting take on the movie.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-09-2004 05:03 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl O'Shea reported at the Feature Info & Trailer Attachment that "THE ALAMO" is a Dolby EX and DTS ES release. All the movie advertisments I have seen and the Dolby site indicates that this film is in standard SRD and DTS only. Was EX & ES sound encoding added to the film at the last minute? If it is in EX, is there a noticiable difference in the sound especially from the rear speakers?

-Claude

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-09-2004 06:17 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS discs had the ES logo on them.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-09-2004 07:07 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real problem with this movie is that both John Sayles and Ron Howard BOTH walked out on this production, after several head butting sessions with disney about the direction of the movie.

That bieng said, it was good for what it was. It should have been better, but from what I understand it was much worse before the hour or so had been cut by the studio. Apparently it drug on even futher.

You have to give cudos to Billy Bob Thornton. Excellent job as always, saving what could have been a total disaster.

Ciao

dave

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 10:41 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was good. It had the typical feel of a western or war movie of that time period.

I thought it was interesting to see the Alamo recreated and how the only thing that you can even remotely recognize is the front of the church.

I've always been a fan of Texas history, so I may be a bit biased.

However, I found it strange that the story takes place in San Antonio but I didnt see any whales.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-13-2004 10:34 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh come on! Jeremy and Brad, you are from Texas. You HAVE to like it! Yeeeeee haaaaaawww!

Joe, I didnt say that I didnt like it, just that it could have been better than it was.

Now how does that there review sound to you, partner!! [Big Grin]

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2004 06:25 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this movie because of its accuracy and the portrayal of its key characters. I could detect its flaws and how it might not appeal to anyone who didn't have to take Texas history growing up.

I kept thinking, I'm enjoying this, but what could they have done to make it like a "Lawence of Arabia"? I'm not sure if Ron Howard could have done any better. It's not a documentary, it didn't have the documentary, History Channel, or TV Mini Series feel... it was just probably as close as we will ever know to what really happened.

Favorites: Billy Bob Thornton (Crockett), Patrick Wilson (Travis), and Emilio Echevarrķa (Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana).

The state of Texas owes Disney a debt of gratitude for putting this story on film. The San Antonio set was beautiful. I hope to be able to see it some day on a visit.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2004 01:52 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The real problem with this movie is that both John Sayles and Ron Howard BOTH walked out on this production
It's too bad Ron Howard departed the project. I understand that while he was aboard there was some consideration for shooting in 65mm.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-19-2004 05:34 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
18 April 2004, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, 11:45AM, House #8, probably SR-D. Attendance started at 8, ended at 6 (2 kids were bored and left after about 30 mins). OK presentation though this is one of those abominable very short-throw houses with a very large screen and image quality suffers.

It was obvious from the beginning that this was going to be a history lesson, and on that level I enjoyed it. Most of the performances were excellent. Billy Bob Thornton is a standout as David "Don't Call Him Davey!" Crockett. The recreation of the Alamo was pretty impressive to see and very convincing. All in all this seems like it wants to be a big sweeping epic but turned out kind of dull for today's short attention span audience. Maybe it would work better recut as a 2 or 3 part miniseries. Maybe we'll get an extended DVD version.

Anyway I enjoyed it but I can't strongly recommend it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: