Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Walking Tall (2004) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Walking Tall (2004)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-01-2004 02:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always hated The Rock. That being said, he was pretty tolerable in this movie. If you are interested in a weak story with a fairly decent amount of revenge-based action, this one's worth a shot.

Hats off to Johnny Knoxville from Jackass fame. He did a great job and was the highlight of the movie.

Side note, the image looked like a DVD being projected. I don't know what they did, but it looks TERRIBLE! [puke]

(EDIT - happy Scott? [Wink] )

[ 04-01-2004, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-01-2004 01:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad--please edit the subject header. Since this is a remake, you really should put the year "(2004)" in the subject header. [Smile] It would be terrible if someone got confused and thought that you were reviewing the original 1973 version.

(edit: Yes, Brad.)

[ 04-02-2004, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2004 01:40 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this one. Some nice action sequences and a fairly interesting story. I mean, the message here essentially is that violent rages and taking matters into our own hands is the right thing to do, but I stilled enjoyed it. Also, I enjoyed the sound mix. Those punches and gunshots hurt everytime.

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-02-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, the message here essentially is that violent rages and taking matters into our own hands is the right thing to do
Isn't that the core message of American popular culture these days? Oh, I forgot. You have to be lying your ass off and sleeping with your best friend's wife in the most malicious way possible --that way you can win on Survivor or Donald Trump's "You're Fired" show. This movie seems to fit in well with that. And to fit in as many impressionable 13 to 17 year olds, this one is rated PG-13 to boot! Yay.

quote:
Also, I enjoyed the sound mix. Those punches and gunshots hurt everytime.
Taking a crack upside the head from a 4" X 4" piece of lumber makes me wince a bit, no matter how it sounds.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2004 11:35 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it at Regal Perimeter Point 10, Atlanta. I think the picture was slightly shifted to the right even if I couldn't notice any real bleeding onto the curtains on the right side. I say this because the left border seemed faded or "diffuse" . I can't really think of a good term. Also there was a slight flicker which got annoying. I think I was the only who noticed it. It was more obvious to me when there was a lot of white where you can see the flicker like effect. I will complain to the manager tomorrow because no one fixed it when I complained to the ticket taker.

Watchable movie where ROck does a decent job. KNoxville is good. Problem is there is no middle act. It has setup and a finish. Once he becomes the sherrif, I was expecting some setups, backstabbing, threats, isolation, or something of that sort. Instead they head straight to the final act. Not even 90 minutes.

Only boring scene was the pointless football scene. The lil brother was annoying addition.

And thank god, they didn't name his character Buford. I don't even know why they used the name Walking Tall. Most of the ROck's fans probably never saw the original and the title will only serve to turn off those who will think this movie is just merely a remake and don't want their memories of the original spoiled. They could have very easily used another name with no negative Box oFfice impact.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What were they thinking when they did the credits. That the movie seemed too short and they needed to add time by creating credits that takes well over ten minutes to go through.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-04-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, whoever did the credits should be the one who takes a hit with a 2 x 4.

They have a huge gaping space between each credit for below-the-line workers. Normally you see this kind of space left for above-the-line people like producers, directors, ect. But in this case, spaces are also left open between "Video Recordist" and "Assistant to Mr. Rock". This makes the credits drag on for 10 minutes!

Review: Glad I saw it, but would not have paid for it.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 01:08 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an actual credit for " Assistant to Mr. Rock " ?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-05-2004 02:32 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I was just giving a general example of the kind of jobs listed.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 02:38 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there were credits for the Rock's assistantS, hair stylist, acting coach, security, and perhaps a couple more. My question is this, why does a guy like the Rock need a hair stylist?

AJG

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 03:04 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was commenting on the use of the name " The Rock ". I wonder if that's why Vince McMahon gets an " Executive Producer " credit on all of the films he stars in?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-05-2004 11:01 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did one of my monthly ad checks for Regal yesterday. First stop was Walking Tall (for the ads only). The house was empty except for me, and I left when the trailers started. [Eek!]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 11:25 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my fav Rock films so far. I have never seen the original so I can't compare but I really enjoyed this one. I did enjoy the action but I noticed that it ended too quickly. The only shorter movie in our theatre now is HOTR by 10 mins. The girl playing "Dani" was gorgeous. I loved the trucks.

*****************************SPOILER AHEAD**********************
I cringed at everything they did to tear apart that DODGE. I applauded when they blew up the FORD [Big Grin]

Johnny Knoxville was pretty damn funny in this but I have seen him better. I HATED the credits. TOO DAMN LONG. Overall a great action flick that could've had more action.

3/5 stars

Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 04:08 PM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film made me want to get my lazy buns out of my seat, go to the gym, and then seek revenge on all of my enemies (0).

I really appreciate the fact that The Rock's shirt did not come off more than once. I got upset when it happened, but it wasn't as bad as an Arnold Schwarzenegger flick wherein his shirt gets blown off by a bomb every 10 minutes.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-09-2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have always hated The Rock.
Amen to that! I'm somehow strangely distanced from someone who refers to himself as an inanimate object. This is a bit ridiculous in movie credits. Okay, so that's his wrestling name, fine, but to use it as his screen credit in a mainstream movie shortchanges his career. If it were me, I would've insisted on a credit like, "Joe 'The Rock' Blow".

In 5 years, no one will know who "The Rock" was. If his movie career takes off (or he pees off the wrestling show for some reason), he'll have to back pedal hard to get name recognition - particularly if his wrestling popularity wanes for any appreciable amount of time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: