Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Jersey Girl

Author Topic: Jersey Girl
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-26-2004 02:47 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very slow moving, very predictable, Ben's acting sucked and it's not worth your time to see this movie. Even if someone paid... Ok maybe.. just maybe if someone paid you it would be worth it.. There were some decent and cute scenes but I expected it to be towards the younger crowd. I was wrong, I would have rated this an R movie or something. Not that it was really bad... But I could see some kids going "What the ...?"

Jersey Girl

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-26-2004 02:49 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it!

>>> Phil

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-26-2004 06:01 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil likes everything! Especially if Brad hated it.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that this was Ben's best work since Chasing Amy. When working with Smith, Affleck seems less like a movie-star and more like an actor, less self aware.

I also didn't thikthat this was slow paced, unless comparing them to the Jay and Silent Bob films. Yeah the laughs are not as frequent as in Clerks or J&SB Strike Back, but that is by design. In fact if you are hopeing to see either of Smith's most famous characters you will find them limited to the View Askew production logo.

And My God, why has Carlin not been used like this before. He quietly steals the movie.

And any film that uses a Sondheim musical as a major plot point (Especially Sweeney Todd!!) gets bonus points for me.

How cool is it that Lady Aberlin from Mister Rogers is now officially a View Askew Stock player, appearing here as young Gertie's teacher and previously playing a nun at the beginning of Dogma.

Sure there are not so many Star Wars references, I only noticed one and it was a quicky (punch it Chewie)and Kevin's "Dick and Fart Jokes" are limited to about one each. But this was a fun movie.

Even if you thing Affleck is the anti-Christ, check this out, if only to see the performance of George Carlin.

Robb Johnston
www.phillyblog.com/moviedude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this one. Already a fan of Smith's films, I went in excited and came out suprised. This is a very good film, with excellent writing and acting. I would have to say this is Smith's best work. It's dramatic, poignant, funny, and charming all at the same time. Brilliant script. Keep them coming Kevin! On a last note, those who are not seeing this film because of Ben, Jen, or both is just ridiculous. Give the film a chance and stop thinking what the media tells you to think!

AJG

[ 03-27-2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Garman ]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-27-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

Not having seen the trailer and the movie, I would have appreciated if you had indicated the outcome of the film with a SPOILER tag. Now that you have 'spilled the beans' divulging the faith of one of the main characters, I am not sure if I would enjoy it as much when I eventually see the movie.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2004 10:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Claude, my mistake. I have edited my post so that I don't spoil the film for anyone else just like the trailer has. Hopefully you'll still find it enjoyable.

AJG

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-28-2004 05:41 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found it OK to watch, but overall rather disappointing. Smith has given us some very smart and unusual films, and this is so predictable and has all the elements we have seen in too many films already like

SPOILER [Eek!] SPOILER

the Daddy-makes-it-just-in-time-to-the-kid`s-performance/game and the ending was silly and sentimental too. When he meets Will Smith, you probably expect the scene to go like, he tells him about his fuck-up, Will says it was actually good for his career because it created a lot of press, and because he is such a great guy anyway, they go to the meeting together and Will gets him the job, or something like that. That would have been too predictable though. Or maybe it would actually have been better than the actual ending. Does it really mean that he is a better father that he choses to continue driving the street sweeper instead of getting his career back? Wasn`t that what Will had told him, that you can be a father and have a career at the same time? Which brings me to the most important point: obviously he made a ton of money at the beginning of the film and he was somebody who was good at organization. So wouldn`t he simply have hired a nanny? Then the whole mess wouldn`t have happened. Actually, the movie falls completely apart.
It was good to see Jennifer Lopez die, though.

Zach McQuaid
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2004 03:15 AM      Profile for Zach McQuaid   Email Zach McQuaid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this movie a lot. It had enough girly points to keep my fiance happy (or sad & mushy whatever), and plenty of George Carlin to satisfy my own laughter crave.

I was very pleased with everyones performance. I wish that Carlin would do more movies. He is what funny is. Ben is okay, but he's too whiny...yeah, yeah, I know that's his role, but can he strap on a set once in a while?

Kudos to the soundtrack - even though I had to compile one myself b/c Kevin Smith didn't make one!!

I (contrary to most) thought the movie WAS in fact creative, even with the feel-good father/daughter nonsense.

Overall Rating = 7.5 / 10 [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2004 07:11 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a no for me.

To be honest I prefered Gigli.

I just didn't click with it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: